BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok now that i spooled 20lb berkley as backing and
30lb power pro onto my 2 penn 330s i bought a few chunking rigs off a friend whos father makes and sells them.50lb mono with 24" line to a 8/0 circle gamakatsu. the kid tells me to put the weight on the slider. doesnt sound right.shouldnt the weight go on bottom and the hook on the slider? thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Its called a fishfinder rig. It the slider/fishfinder is threaded on to your main and then the rig is attached barrell swivle. I myself use a drell(sp) trolling weight between my mainline and rig. I hope this helps.

[ 09-27-2005, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: A Frayed Knot ]

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
If your using mono don't put the hook on the slider. Against my better judgement I listened to a friend who was rigging this way and when I got the bite the slider was pulled tight against the swivel and cut the line. It was the only bite I had that day and I was very depressed.

[ 09-28-2005, 04:29 AM: Message edited by: Vitalsigns ]

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Twin has it right, thread the line thru the black plastic piece and clip the sinker on the metal clip, see below.

[ 09-28-2005, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: RodFather ]

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I used the egg type sinkers last year. The ones that have a hole through ethm. I threaded the line through then attached the swivel with the leader. Worked well. Caught losta fish. I think I'll try those pictured above on a few poles and see which way is better for me. At least the ones shown above you can change the amount of weight easier than the egg sinkers.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I've attached a bucktail rather than a sinker to the fishfinder rig and have had ok success while drifting for flounder. My thought was if your gonna have a weight dragging the bottom it might as well be a baited bucktail :D :D

The other guys are right on..

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I had problems with the lead egg sinker cutting into my brailed line. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
I've had a problem with my PP cutting thru the plastic part of the FF rig. I started using a rather large snap swivel to clip the sinker on and running the PP thru the eye of the swivel. Any one else experiencing this problem. Oh one more thing, I don't think its a silly question, how do you find something out if you don't ask. I thought that is what the Barn is all about. Keep the questions coming.

[ 09-28-2005, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Reel-ality ]

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
If your chunking for bass this is the way to go.

Hook the lead on the clip. This rig allows a fish to pull the bait without feeling resistance from the rod if in free spool.

[ 09-28-2005, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Gilly21 ]

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
They make sliders now that are heavier and made to be used with braids so the braid doesn't cut through the slider.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Gilly...Thats how I do my rigs its just that I use an egg sinker at the clip place. They grab the bait and don't feel the lead while the clicker is screaming. I do however like the clip so I can change the amount of lead easier. I also use mono like shown. The leaders I use are longer also.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Wetdream this is the way I rig sor surf fishing som my leader is shorter. When I have the privlage to be on a boat I use 3'-6' leader.

Reel-ality I was haveing the same problem with the PP casting from the beach and this simple rig stoped the problem.

The best thing about this rig is everyone has or needs barrel swivles, and the duo-loc snaps are so cheap you can buy in bulk and they will last a long time. Another tip is the beads.......Stop buying 20 beads for 3 bucks in the fishing section, pull up your skirts and go incognito to the craft section, or send the wife to buy 100 glass beads for 2.99.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
All,
I use some black beads on the line below the Slip sinker or a slider weight. This prevents the weight from hitting the knot on the swivel. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.