BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with these reels. They seem like a good value but have heard some bad stories about them. Any and all feedback is appreciated

·
Registered
196 Posts
We have purchased four of the Okuma Titus Silver 50w 2 speeds. They have the same internals as the Gold series but have a silver finish instead of the gold. We have not used them yet, this year will be the first. I have read at least 100 people hate the reels and probably about the same with people who like them. Im sure they arent Penn Intnls or Shimano TLDs but for the recreation fishers who venture offshore only a few times a year, we couldnt justify spending $600+ for each reel. We got our reels for $229 each. I do however have them mounted on nice Penn roller rods. We will see how they hold up.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
If you're looking for a reasonably priced quality reel, I would go with a Shimano TLD-A 2spd. Light weight, excellent drags, and plenty of power for all but the largest sharks and billfish.

·
Registered
112 Posts
50w Okumas

I have the cheapest version. End plates are held into the (graphite? plastic?) frame with self tapping screws.
To date they haven't failed.
I did have one 50w silver Okuma when they were 1st introduced. It would lock up on the drag setting to max. Product support seems to be poor. Eventually gave it away.

That being said, they fit my budget and I will continue to use them.
I probably only get offishore four to six times a year.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I fished all last season with a Okuma Gold TG50W and loved it. The drag was extremly smooth and the reel had no problems. Caught quite a few tuna and a couple of Makos on the reel and it performed great. I have not yet taken it apart to see if there are any issues with corosion but I will before the season starts. I also talked to a guy at a takle store that said he sells a ton of them. So for all the people that say they are no good there must be a bunch of closet Okuma users out there. ;) So far for the price I think it is a good deal and a good reel.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I have four titus golds and I have never had an issue with them. They are in my spread with 5 Tiagras and nobody has ever said "Take that fish, it's on the Okuma" LOL

·
Registered
501 Posts
The owner of the Topaz that I run purchased four Okuma gold 30's three seasons ago. We've caught a fair amount of tuna & dolphin with them without any major problems.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Okuma

I have 4 30TGii and 2 50TGiiW reels. I have caught some small blue fin, yft and slammer blues on the 30's. I also caught an 80lb yft and 75lb, 57" sword last summer on one of the 50's. Again, flawless performance. I also have five penn 50tw's - a 30tw and an 80tw and Okumas work comparably. You won't get parts and service on them like a penn but take care of it and it will last years. I bought all my reels new over time and I took care of all of them. Clean and oil them - set your drags properly with a scale. The newer 2spd Okuma's with rulidium drags and 5 bearings hold up well and are a good value for the money.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I don't have any of the gold reels but I do have an Okuma titus T15L- lever drag level wind reel that I bought 2 years ago. I cleaned it out and greased it up (my winter bordom maintenance) and I noticed that the level wind wouldn't go back and forth- it would stick on one side until I put pressure on it. Well, I emailed Okuma customer service and a tech emailed me back about what he thought was wrong and mailed out the part plus 2 spares for free. It was what I needed to fix the reel. I was impressed with their customer service. I do want to eventually get some of those gold reels in the future. My buddy is always busting my balls about buying and only using Okuma, Okuma is not bad they have nice quallity gear.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have gold 20 single speed. not sure if its made any longer.

Plenty of schoolie bluefin, skipjack, false albies & slammer bluefish without any problems.

Had hoped to break it out on a chunking trip with 60lb yellowfin around the boat but did not get the chance.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I had a okuma gold 50w 2speed and had a 100+ Tuna on the line and she worked like a charm. If i had the money I would go with a Penn International of TLD but i haven't had many problems with her. My buddy had the older gold 30's and one of them seized up on him a few years ago. He called the company and complained, inturn they fixed the reel for free and gave him two visors and tweo nice jackets for the inconvience.

·
Registered
31,378 Posts
The Golds aren't bad reels. Light years better then the larger graphite Titus's that gave them such a bad name. The price of the Golds though puts them in line with other better made reels.

·
Banned
136 Posts
I had a pair of the older ones, they were the worst, the line would get stuck between the spool and the side plate. I used them for one trip and that was it, You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
i had an old silver two-speed. GARBAGE! Spend your money once on something thats going to last rather then spend less now but more later on replacing it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I purchased a gold 50w 2 speed in Aug. 2005 and have caught fish and have not had any problems. I would definately buy another.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
When they were first released, they weren't too good.

Okuma is now lightyears ahead of where it was even a few short years ago.

We're sporting some new Okuma spinning and conventional reels on our boat to compliment the Penn gear that we have.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts