BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do 4 man charters part time and have been using Penn 750+850 reels for years and they have been a work horse. This season I'm thinking of switching to bait feeding reels. Looked at Shimano (seems favored by most fisherman) Penn (not sure the quality is the same as it was a few years ago) and the Okuma Salino, Coranado and Epixor. I must admit that the Okumas look and feel pretty good Price as alway a consideration but durabilty is really top consideration. Once had a friend aboard using his on gear and the handel on his reel broke just as he got a 40# bass near the boat. I laughted my *** off at him when he lost that fish. Was'nt a problem that day because we were in the middle of a huge school of them. However it would not have been funny if it had been a costermer and the bite was slow. Any feed back would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I have an Okuma Salina, but the non baitfeeder version and like it alot. To me its very smooth, feels solid, and is lightweight compared to my old penn SS. I've had no problems so far with it and for the price, I think its a great real.

I know Okuma gets a bad rep but I've never had any issues with my titus 15s or my salina. The only thing to consider is I"m a weekend fisherman and probably only use these reals a dozen times a year, so I don't put nearly the use on them a charter would.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Chunking I'm pretty sure has used the hell out of the Coronado bait runner style spinners for a while and digs'em.

I don't have any of the higher end Okuma gear but I will say that I bought a trio of Dick's Special Stratus spinners about 5 years ago. I think I paid $29.99 for the ST50 and $19.99 for the ST20. I put the 50s on some backup/loaner boat sticks and the 20 I put on a $20 clearance bucket rod to sort of run an experiment for my own amusement to see how far one can push a $40 combo.

I haven't exactly beaten on them, but all three have landed some righteous blues and bass from both sod and boat and they're suprisingly smooth for what I paid. Aside from a bit of cosmetic chipping and scratching thats to be expected on an inexpensive plastic framed reel they're ticking along just fine. I'd imagine their higher dollar reels would be quite nice :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
i have an okuma coranado double bail that is about 6 years old..it is not the smoothest reel in the world but then again i have never had any trouble with it...my shimano 3500 baitrunner is very smooth but was sent back for repairs after only two seasons

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
I have three Okuma baitrunners, 1 Epixor 50 EB , a 65 EB, and a cheapo Okuma Corrida 50 EB...Believe it or not the Corrida 50 (not Coranado) has held up very well with plenty of Surf action in 7 yrs (its Gasketed The Epixor 50s are not) with alot of stripers in the teens to low twenties on it. The one thing I changed out was the Plastic Handle w/ a machined Aluminum handle from a Blown up Captiva someone left on the beach. The bigger Handle fit perfect on this reel.. . The Okumas are not as smooth as my Shimano 3500 & 4500's But, for what I paid they don't owe me anything.. Okuma reels are good Intermediate reels for occasional fishing But, If I were to charter I would probably stick with the Shimanos or Penn 560 baitrunners Just because they are Tanks...You can get the Older Shimanos at a really good price right now as most tackle stores are looking to clear them out to make room for the newer restyled models. The biggest drawback to the Okumas are the Rear drags, They aren t as adjustable after the 6 years (maybe due to the Regreasing). Whereas The Shimano's are as good as they were right out of the box.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I talked with a professional reel repairman and he spoke highly of the Okuma Coranado. He liked it better than the more expensive Epixor. I bought a Shimano Baitrunner D series, the new one. They come in four sizes. I got the 6000 D and reeled in a few stripers with it last fall. This reel is super smooth, well balanced, rugged and has a confortable handle with a rather large egg-shaped nob. I also have 3500s, a 4500 and the Thunnus. Like the 6000 D the most. It sells for about $170. Priced between the 3500 and the Thunnus.;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Don't waste your money. Diawa, Shimano, Penn. The top end name brand import reels & Penns hold up. I have some Okuma "50" size lever drags. I deep sixed this year. I would rather use a Penn star drag reel then one of the Okuma's. Take one apart & you will see how well they are built. Try & get parts for the older Okumas. GL. You get what you pay for. I learned my lesson.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Don't use Coronado Baitfeeders with charters
I had 7 of them turn to total junk in about 6 weeks of Striper fishing:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:Very cheaply made
4 of them got a new home in the Cape May Rips;)
Buy Shimano!!
If You don't need baitrunners try the Spheros series
I am going on season 4 with a set of 4000s with NO PROBLEMS at all!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I was in a local tackle shop yesterday and I saw a pretty good looking jigging rod. When I looked at the brand name it was Okuma. So I went on a tackle web site and they said Okuma has joined with Tibron to produce some high end tackle. The only thing I know about Okuma is they don't have very reliable tackle but if they join Tibron who knows what will come up. I won't be the first in line but maybe in a couple years.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Corronado series uses a stainless main and pinion gear, which to me makes it the better reel over the higher end model Epixor bait feeder.
The added bearings are only potential failure points and the higher end reels have alloy and bronze gears. They Epixor is a smoother reel but there's too much going on for it to hold up without a lot of maintenance. The Corronado is the baitfeeder version of the Azul, which I believe was out for a bit longer.
In my opinion the Azul has a slight advantage in durability since it lacks the instant antireverse feature which is often a point of failure on these.

The Corronado is a somewhat course feeling reel when cranking but it seems to hold up well. The drag is OK but not very large if you compare it to say a Penn 9500SS but it does work if the person using the reel knows how to use it.

I've been fixing reels for many years, the items I see broken on most Okuma reels are handles on the upper end reels, mostly the early ones, antireverse one way clutch bearings that have either rusted or were over lubed, or failure of the bail roller bearings. I can't recall seeing any issues other than gear noise complaints with the Corronado, but the noise is just a byproduct of the SS gears.

The most common Shimano Baitrunner complaints have been failed antireverse bearings, broken handles, and either seized or inoperative baitrunner drag or lever. Most often the problems with the bait runner feature turns out to be linkage issues inside the side cover. My biggest complaint with the Shimano is the cost of parts compared to other brand reels.

The handle is all metal on the Corronado, where as the Epixor has a wood knob. The added bearings are in the bail roller, pinion shaft, and handle knob.

Here's a pic of an Azul, also with SS gears and similar to the Corronado model other than the lack of the bait feeder feature. This reel was about 5 years old at the time of the pic, I had opened it for a basic service but it needed nothing. I'd say it's use was moderate with it being rinsed and treated with Salt X after every outing. I have a pair of these which I bought about 9 years ago to use on a trip. They've been my loaner reels on my boat for about 2 years and were used regularly by me prior to that.

http://i46.tinypic.com/23uwfuu.jpg

Here you can see the main body of the reel. The good points are that the handle bearings are of decent size and are common sizes, the reel has a variable oscillation rate which means good line lay patterns, and the reels are well greased from the factory. Three things that I didn't like were that the oscillating gear is made of what appears to be pot metal, plus it's guide pin rides in the actually body material of the reel, which is a non replaceable wear surface, and the fact that the side cover screws are just self tapping type screws in the graphite body.
To its benefit, I've never seen a failure of any of these points.

http://i45.tinypic.com/bdjvyu.jpg

Here's a pic of the SS main gear and shaft:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2mdfoyo.jpg

Here's the oscillating gear and the variable line lay pin:

http://i50.tinypic.com/546kuv.jpg

Whole reel:

http://i50.tinypic.com/33da1ol.jpg

If I were looking to choose bait runner type reels for a charter boat, if money was a real object, I'd go with the Corronado, but for overall durability and ease of use I'd have to say Shimano would be the right choice, but my favorite right now is the Daiwa Sealine with it's all metal body. The BR5500 may be a good alternative. Of course they've also not been around long enough though yet to have a serious track record. They do feel good in hand and seem to be a bit heavier duty than the Shimano Baitrunner.
For long term parts availability Daiwa has always been great too. I've been told too often by Shimano that parts are no longer serviced on a discontinued reel.
I've also heard mixed reviews on the new Shimano Baitrunner reels too, I've seen one come back seized up and have heard others complain that they took them back after a short period and went back to their older model reel.

A lot depends too on how they will be treated and what type of fishing they will see. If your one to clean and lube your reels regularly and their not being used to haul in big game fish I'd say you would be fine with just about any reel, if maintenance isn't there, then I'd say the Shimano will probably last the longest with no maintenance at all. But keep in mind that I am referring to the older 4500B and 6500B reels not the newer series just released last fall.

·
Registered
16 Posts
the only problem i have with the salina is using braid it gets caught in the roller sometimes. i took this reel with me the past 2 times salmon fishing and fought a few 30's and landed a bunch of 18 to 20's with no problem at all. if i didnt have a penn liveliner allready i would definitly get a salina baitfeeder for stripers. hope this was helpful.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mickefinn; the reel has spacers on each side of the roller to adjust for this problem, just take the spacer from the problem side and put it on the other side, thuse narrowing this gap and check again, makes it easy to get just right. One other braid concequence!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.