BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my okuma the handle is about to fall off...anyone else ever experience this????

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
I have two Okuma Spinning reels and not one problem. Fished them both hard all year.

Call or email Okuma. I hear they back their reels 100% even if they are a few years old.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I'm going to bet that your reel is about 3 or more years old, right?
Okuma used to use a brass pin that connected the handle to the shaft. When the Epixors came out I was one of the first to return a reel for a sheared pin. I was later told that they have upgraded to a titanium pin, and there shouldn't be anymore problems-they were right! My reel is about 3 yrs old and it gets fished HARD (most would call it abuse!)It has been dunked in the surf, dropped on rocks, and survived 3 seasons of getting banged around in the back of my explorer with all my construction tools! The Fina I have also went airborn from the top of the explorer at about 50+ mph on the Longport/EHT causeway, Its definately got some road rash but it works better than ever! Can't say enough good things about OKUMA! I'll never buy another Shamano or Penn again!

·
Registered
695 Posts
talk to Bill at my wife's rod and reel repair shop on the way into Sea Isle City he can help you out with this .I have some spinners and bait casters and like them, no problems with them .Good luck with your reel and good luck fishing

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
I bought 2 Okumas and was very impressed with them, till I used them. The paint chips off. If you get a large fish on them, they torque. Went back to Penn and am very glad I did. HAPPY DAYS.

Ding

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Aint a reel in the world that WONT torque when you use 'em like a winch!

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
:D :D :D ZIIIIIING :D :D :D

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
aw cmon ding was using them to retrieve his anchor :D :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've got two FI30 & FI40 - LOVE them. They feel as though they are motor driven, they are so smooth and transfer the power so efficently. Everyone who has taken my advice and bought one has had the same good reaction.

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
I have caught big fish on the Penns, and they didn't torque. Those Okumas are cheap, and I found out why. Like I said, I really liked them till I used them. HAPPY DAYS.

Ding

·
Registered
573 Posts
Originally posted by Bridge Kid:
On my okuma the handle is about to fall off...anyone else ever experience this????
Have the OkumaInspira IS30 and the Epixor EF40 It think both are great reels sepecially for the price. I find them braid friendly,Ihave power pro on both reels.I Wash them off like every other reel with fresh water and spray them so
metimes with wd40 and wipe off with clean rag. Fished them both alot last year since I was laid off from Jan till Sept and spent as much time as possible at my trailer. The Epixor has the old style handle but havent had a problem with it. I know they changed to a bullet style handle and as someone posted they changed a pin in the handle.

Mike

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I have 5 Coronado CD50's and 2 CD65's I love them all ! the 65 are on 10 and 12' ugly sticks and the 50's are on 7' ugly sticks I caught 62 keeper stripers between 24 and 47" this season and aside from washing and lubeing them I had no failures or problems of any kind.

I realy worked the one reel and horsed some big fish right to the boat and took the line and reels to there limit and they held up great! they are half the money of Shamino or Penn and this is my 3rd season with the one that i use all the time I treated myself to the 5th CD50 this Christmas with a boaters world certificate from there Capt's club and additional 10.00 of thru Dec the reel cost me 42.00.

When Diawa first hit the scene they were Jap junk I still have and use a big surf reel on a 10'berkley rod that I bought at the Berlin Farmers mkt in 1972. Good Fishing Mike

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I use the epixor ef-40...with power pro of course....30lb tst

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have the same set up.Okuma becoming my favorite.I use all types except Penn spinners,they seem to have too many problems.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I can't believe that I am actually agreeing with Ding on something ;) , but the two Okumas that I bought both were trashed after landing decent fish. I don't winch my fish in, but the roller guide (not the gears) still got torqued.

I'll stick with my Penns and Shimano.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Go right to their website, find out the part #'s you need and drop them an email...they'll get right back to you and you'll have the new parts in a about a week and a half...shouldnt cost you a dime.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I picked up an Okuma Cedros, basically new, at a pawn shop in Newburgh, NY about three years ago. Used it ever since, rinsing it with the hose after use. It still works great...reeled in a 44 incher on a stretch 25 last week like a champ. I have Penns and Shimanos, older and newer, cheaper and more expensive and I like them all. Seems to me the more expensive ones usually are built with better materials and last longer.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Depends what reel model it is. Personally, I won't buy any EXCEPT for the Makaira. The Makaira series are made by Tiburon (they make race car transmissions) and are not to be toyed with. I think the 80w puts out 100 lbs of drag or something stupid.

They've gotten a lot better with the other models. Still not great but better. The rods aren't bad. The Cedros jigging rods do a decent job.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts