BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some expired flares. Some handheld and some 12 gauge aerial. Just wondering how folks dispose of them. Does anyone hold them for extras or is it just a discard and replace?

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
I have some expired flares. Some handheld and some 12 gauge aerial. Just wondering how folks dispose of them. Does anyone hold them for extras or is it just a discard and replace?
law only states that you must have current flares. Does not say that you cannot keep older flares on the boat. I keep mine as backups.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did read that. The flares look to be in great shape. I was thinking I might use a few as back ups and the rest could be fire starters on a backpacking trip this spring.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
i keep some for back up . and on a wet rainy night ill shoot a couple off just to see what they do.lol., but mostly they r great fire starters as u stated. and i keep a few in trucks incase of a breakdown n road repair.(the hand held ones ) .

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
keep a few on the boat as backups , the rest either get shot off for fun or in the trash

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
be careful with the 12 ga. they land burning. I keep the most recent and fire off the oldest into a steel 30 gal trash can with a foot of water in the bottom. they have enough energy to put a dent in the can if you miss the water.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Keep them as spares. You can never have too many. Keep your current flares and smoke separate from your expired ones. I believe you can get fined for keeping them all together.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Funny, I was told by the 18-21 year old CG girl on the Maurice, to keep old out dated flares off my vessel because of in case of an emergency, i might grab the wrong ones and shoot them off.
I told her that I venture off shore 80 miles and I would prefer to keep my 20 + of them in my ditch bag with my EpERB, and she said ...where is your orange flag to hang on your antenna?
I answered, if my boat was in 900 feet of water.....who would see it?
She answered, Well your fares will expire in 6 months!
I said it`s NOV ???? I`m on it ,Like have been every year for the last 25.

Let me say that I LOVE THE CG and SO HELP ME GOD I NEVER NEED THEM!
I appreciate what there doing to risk there own live`s to save everyone else`s.
But lets get the rules correct.I keep out dated away from the (on the pistol new).
Oh , before I am bashed,
THERE RIGHT and I am wrong.
God Bless the USCG.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Blackfin, may I suggest keeping the old handheld and 12 guage on your boat as backups as long as they are in good shape. I would also like to recommend that you use a black sharpie to put XXXXX's on the expired flares so you can readily differentiate them between the good flares and the expired flares. In an actual emergency try the old flares 1st, if they fail to work, don't hesitate to use the good flares. Also, make sure a potential rescuer is in sight before using. Most flares only last a few seconds especially, the arerial type. Hope that this helps!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Retainer ,Thank You, I got one off the low boy just in case.
As Finally said I keep them separate.
I have shot my fathers 12 Ga. rounds from the 60`s, and if my *** is floating in the water ......I don`t care what the date say`s....its better than sitting in the dark to hear an motor roar by at 100 yards.
2 seconds can mean life or death.
1 mile off or 1000.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks

for all the responses. I like the suggestion about using the black sharpie on the old flares. Thanks everyone - LD:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I get a kick out of the "keep them separate" thing. I got pulled over in Janurary while duck hinting in my sneakbox. I have everthing in a waterproof case. Old flares are in bag marked as such. A kid on the CG boat actually wanted to write me up! The "older" hand in charge of the team advised him not to. Now where in the heck is there room in a sneakbox for an extra water proof to keep old flares in. Kid said maybe I shouldn't have them on the boat. If I get in trouble out there you better believe I want as many flares, smoke, flag..whatever I can use to attract someones attention.
As an aside, I've had flares that expired in the late 80's sucessfully ignite.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts