BASS BARN banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to older Shimano reels (purchased in mid 90's) that I primarily used for wreck fishing . Both are high speed....one is 5.2/1 and the other is 6.0/1....they seem like they are heavy enough to stand up to deep dropping for Tiles...any thoughts....Also they are on 6'6" St Croix Rods rated for 1 to 3 oz lure weights....Would like fellow Bass Members thoughts on whether they think they would be suitable for deep dropping for Tiles...Thanks in advance for your opinions guy's..

·
Registered
455 Posts
Ive never tilefished before but just from reading about it i would say the rods are way too light. People regularly use 16 ozs and usually more. As for the reels post some pics so we can see what they look like.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The 5.2 might work well. you would need a beefier rod to handle up to 32+ oz. The 8' ugly stick (BWB 1120) is a good, cheap route. A lot of people have the misconception that a high speed reel is better to retrieve all that line while fishing deep. It actually works against you. You lose a lot of torque which makes you use much more energy to crank in. I find the Daiwa Saltist 4.9 (Super Torque) the best reel I've used for Tiles and deep water Cod. 50-65lb. braid is sufficient.

·
Registered
1 Posts
tiles

The 5.2 might work well. you would need a beefier rod to handle up to 32+ oz. The 8' ugly stick (BWB 1120) is a good, cheap route. A lot of people have the misconception that a high speed reel is better to retrieve all that line while fishing deep. It actually works against you. You lose a lot of torque which makes you use much more energy to crank in. I find the Daiwa Saltist 4.9 (Super Torque) the best reel I've used for Tiles and deep water Cod. 50-65lb. braid is sufficient.
correct the 4.7 or 4.9:1 are better for that heavy deep water fishing 2 speeds are even better and the 8 ft ugly stick is perfect

1 - 4 of 4 Posts