BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing those pictures of those specks, have you saved any for me? With the fishing done here and seeing those beautiful fish I got excited.

Just got a deal today from Sprit Airlines that I couldn't pass up. Going to fly down to my see my brother in Palm Bay. He lives on turkey creek. He has a center console and a ghenoe. Going to be there Jan 18th to the 24th and will be fishing every day, rain, shine, wind or tornadoes.

Last year caught on a variety of flies. Any go to flies that I must have? Saw you guys were wading in shorts. Know it is a bit cool right now. Is wading with out waders done?

Would be fun to hook up with fellow barn flyfisherman and compare notes and maybe wet a line together.

As long as there is no ice on the water, I will be a happy camper.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The mercury did drop a bit, but today was warm and it's supposed to stay that way for some time. I wade barefoot and bare-legged year round, and I can usually count the days where ther water temp drops below 50 on one hand, unless something horrible happens like it did in Jan 2010. I'm not saying barefoot is a going to work for everyone who comes down here, but if you bring neoprene you're going to lose a few pounds. Fishing has been exceptional, and I'm spotting fish in the 8-12lb range daily, unfortunately these fish have been spotting me first. Most of the trout I'm catching are 22"-26", but I did get a 31" a few days ago.
As far as flies go, you can pretty much fish what you like within reason. No fly is too big for these trout, but you have to be able to deliver a flawless cast at 70' with it. I stick to smallish attractor patterns in #2-#1/0, and the gartside soft hackle streamer in white has been my best producer by a wide margin (usually tied on a #2 gami SL12 or a #1/0 SC15). 12lb flouro tippet is fine, they really seem to need light flouro. On rough days when I fish bigger flies and 20lb, I do get some weird refusals and I'm convinced they just react better to flies presented on lighter tippets.
I'm on the water pretty much every day except Sundays and Wednesdays, when I put in a few hours at my local shop. If you want to get together and fish it would be pretty easy to put something together.

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. Light tippet is good to know as I am use to using heavier up here where the water is not so clear. It will be so good to just get out and fish, that I do not care what size catch. In the shallow waters it looks like you are mostly using floating line. I am bringing floating, intermediate and sinking so I will be ready for everything.

I will be flying in on Wednesday morning. What is the name of the shop where you put in time. Might just stop in and say hi on the way to my brothers and get a first hand report on how the weather might be effecting the fishing.

I will be picking through my flies so I will have a good assortment for everything I might encounter.

Thanks for the info. Ray

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Ray ODC spends some time at Harry Goods in Melbourne off 192 east of RT 1 & before going over the river. Hope you can get to spend some time with Bill as he does know his way around the area. Good luck with your trip.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks for the information. Light tippet is good to know as I am use to using heavier up here where the water is not so clear. It will be so good to just get out and fish, that I do not care what size catch. In the shallow waters it looks like you are mostly using floating line. I am bringing floating, intermediate and sinking so I will be ready for everything.

I will be flying in on Wednesday morning. What is the name of the shop where you put in time. Might just stop in and say hi on the way to my brothers and get a first hand report on how the weather might be effecting the fishing.

I will be picking through my flies so I will have a good assortment for everything I might encounter.

Thanks for the info. Ray

I use floaters year round, and leaders at 10-14' total length, usually on a 7wt. The weather has been amazing, and it's only getting better. The past 3 days have been pretty much legendary. Feel free to stop by the shop, it's been in the same location for 63 years, and we've got you covered no matter what you accidentally leave at home.

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, don't think I ever used a leader that long before. That is new for me. I guess when fishing in that shallow clear water it is needed. That may be real helpful.

I hope to get some tarpon in Turtle Creek this year. Water there is more cedar colored. I have caught a few small ones there before but I always see some big ones coming up for air. With all the obstructions in that narrow creek, I don't know if hooking up a big one is a good thing or not. Always used a intermediate line.

·
Registered
160 Posts
There were some 30-50lb fish in the Sebastian river the other day, but they were spotted, and not caught. Those fish aren't known for being terribly cooperative. The 10-14' leader thing is just something I've gravitated towards over the years. Our flies are relatively small, so it's less of an issue than you would think.

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It will be just great to catch what ever is available. No expectations except to just have a great time fishing in more moderate temperatures.

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea, I would say that is a perfect day! Was talking to my brother and he said it was nice and calm there today. We had a light dusting of snow and it is cold and raw out. Next week will not get here fast enough for me. Beautiful looking fish and the fly looks just as good. Nice Job!

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Way to go Bill & I won't mention that "hackle"

·
Registered
160 Posts
ut oh... do I have to stop in to Harry Goods to find out :confused::wave:

You're welcome to stop by, but you won't find any of that on the shelves. I just tell folks it's blue eared pheasant, but it isn't. I got it from a freind who gave me his fathers collection of materials after he passed. That hackle is close to 50 years old, and the bird it's from can no longer be harvested anywhere for any reason.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
You're welcome to stop by, but you won't find any of that on the shelves. I just tell folks it's blue eared pheasant, but it isn't. I got it from a freind who gave me his fathers collection of materials after he passed. That hackle is close to 50 years old, and the bird it's from can no longer be harvested anywhere for any reason.
Looks like maybe GBH hackle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts