BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was hoping someone could help me out understanding this model a bit better.

J150VXSIG

I understand it means it is a Johnson 150hp, with a 25" shaft & a 2001 model year. It is mainly the "V" I am interested in. On all the OMS model deciphers I see online the "V" inst listed as a option in the 2001 model year. For example the model number reference at shop.evinrude.com doesn't show a "V" in the Legend for the "Design Features" position for the 1999-2001 code refrence, but for the 1980-1998 code reference a "V" in that position means "Special Gearcase".

So I am curious what the V is on my outboard. Is it the "Special Gearcase" listed as a option on the 1980-1998 outboards? If so what exactly does that mean?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The "V" was used for a while to designate a motor shipped to a boat manufacturer to be sold as a "pre-rigged" package.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Since its an 01 it may have the bombardier redesigned case. Measure it at the rear hub (O.D.) with a caliper. Old style is 4 5/8" and the new is 5 1/16". Or just look for the third slot above the cavitation plate.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Along the lines with what Seahorse had mentioned another guy told me this was to signify it shipped to a dealer pre-rigged on a boat for sale as a package. Can any other OMC guys confirm this?

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Along the lines with what Seahorse had mentioned another guy told me this was to signify it shipped to a dealer pre-rigged on a boat for sale as a package. Can any other OMC guys confirm this?
Na, My 01 115 had a "V" in the model number and bought it and the old boat it was on in WV..

·
Registered
240 Posts
Na, My 01 115 had a "V" in the model number and bought it and the old boat it was on in WV..

So how do you know if didn't start out as a pre-rigged on another boat and the WV guy later put it on the boat you bought from him?

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
So how do you know if didn't start out as a pre-rigged on another boat and the WV guy later put it on the boat you bought from him?
How do I know?? Receipts for the engine state what boat it was mounted on.. Then trust me these guys weren't swapping engines. I can send you pics manyman if you want them??

I thought we agreed to ignore each other???

·
Registered
240 Posts
How do I know?? Receipts for the engine state what boat it was mounted on.. Then trust me these guys weren't swapping engines. I can send you pics manyman if you want them??

I thought we agreed to ignore each other???
Wow all I did was ask a simple question, wondering if the engine started out on another boat. And, I don't recall anything about any agreements.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Al Jr,
Do you have 3 ventilation slots on the rear upper? To my knowledge BRP did not change the codes until 06. And since there were known problems with certain lower unit parts in the final days of OMC its likely an updated lower unit. But I am just as interested and would like clarification from a dealer.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Al Jr,
Do you have 3 ventilation slots on the rear upper? To my knowledge BRP did not change the codes until 06. And since there were known problems with certain lower unit parts in the final days of OMC its likely an updated lower unit. But I am just as interested and would like clarification from a dealer.

Just checking, but you mean in the cowl, right? Yeah It has 3 like in this picture.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
No you have 2 ventilation slots. I am talking about just above the prop. If you call BRP Tech at 847-689-7090 and make sure you have your serial and model number handy they can straighten it out for you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No you have 2 ventilation slots. I am talking about just above the prop. If you call BRP Tech at 847-689-7090 and make sure you have your serial and model number handy they can straighten it out for you. :thumbsup:
That was easy:)

He said it was the paint.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh, Bro, I suppose that you are too close to the truth. I am not really competent in this question, but as I know your thoughts are right. I am sure that it is not a random number like 1234, but even these numbers have the meaning. You can read about 1234 meaning on this site, by the way. I am just interested in numerology.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Bill, first off your post makes no sense. After that do you realize you are posting on a 9yr old thread??

·
Vendor
943 Posts
Hey guys, I was hoping someone could help me out understanding this model a bit better.

J150VXSIG

I understand it means it is a Johnson 150hp, with a 25" shaft & a 2001 model year. It is mainly the "V" I am interested in. On all the OMS model deciphers I see online the "V" inst listed as a option in the 2001 model year. For example the model number reference at shop.evinrude.com doesn't show a "V" in the Legend for the "Design Features" position for the 1999-2001 code refrence, but for the 1980-1998 code reference a "V" in that position means "Special Gearcase".

So I am curious what the V is on my outboard. Is it the "Special Gearcase" listed as a option on the 1980-1998 outboards? If so what exactly does that mean?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.
I know this an old thread but I believe the "V" designated electric tilt and trim.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts