BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have a problem w/ electrolysis at the marina,all of the zincs are getting eating up on my boat and surrounding boats. we made sure all wires servicing dock were out of water. Was thinking about re doing grounds were the service feeds the dock? Or is there a way you can measure it in the water so that if it is not the dock power, we could measure to see if it is a certain boat as the boats are put in this spring ( small marina). Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
rob b said:
I seem to have a problem w/ electrolysis at the marina,all of the zincs are getting eating up on my boat and surrounding boats. we made sure all wires servicing dock were out of water. Was thinking about re doing grounds were the service feeds the dock? Or is there a way you can measure it in the water so that if it is not the dock power, we could measure to see if it is a certain boat as the boats are put in this spring ( small marina). Thanks in advance
How much Zinc do you have? And how fast is it getting eaten away? Season? Months? Weeks?

Is this marina near the channel and moving tide water?

I have corrosion test system to test boats bonding systems, but I'm not sure if it will test the water in a marina.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
rob b said:
Yes there is a lead that you can buy for a multi-meter (silver-silver chloride) here's a link...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/26369/377%20710%201631/0/Corrosion/Grounding/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710%201631&Ne=0&Ntt=Corrosion/Grounding&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5002&subdeptNum=9&classNum=783

You also should have a galvanic isolator from quicksilver (one of the few that really work) to keep any stray current from backflowing from the ground wire of a shorepower cord.

I used to get calls from all over the East Coast on how to better protect your boat...they used to call me an expert but I had to tell them I barely understood the whole corrosion scenario. That's how few people are really good at putting together the whole picture and nailing it quickly and accurately.

It is a lengthy, detailed process of elimination to see where the problem areas are.

If you buy just the test lead...you need a good book on the subject...here's just a start..

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/233134/377%20710%201844/0/Electronics/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710%201844&Ne=0&Ntt=Electronics&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5004&subdeptNum=16&classNum=12510

The boatowners electrical and mechanical: how to...by Nigel Calder I think...

If you buy the whole corrosion meter kit...I think it comes with a guide.

I bought the test lead years ago and have used it many times to see if there was enough zinc protecting certain underwater fitting....did it worK???? sort of...it gave me the readings but getting the zinc to do it's job predictably was a real challenge.

Good luck!!!! ;) ;)

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Any old work boats or anything of that nature around you?? could be they are running a battery charger which could cause electrolysis

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dunk said:
How much Zinc do you have? And how fast is it getting eaten away? Season? Months? Weeks?

Is this marina near the channel and moving tide water?

I have corrosion test system to test boats bonding systems, but I'm not sure if it will test the water in a marina.
It is in a major channel with fast moving water,my zincs are lasting the season but others are getting burnt up quicker. A couple of people are saying its eating their outboards.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
swab1985 said:
Any old work boats or anything of that nature around you?? could be they are running a battery charger which could cause electrolysis
The guy next to me runs a battery charger constantly and there are a few work boats in area

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
If the boats aren't grounded properly and they are running battery chargers they could be causing it, we had a big ol wood POS workboat using one next to us one season, and all of our zincs were shot half way through the season...the season after that he moved and wasnt there, we still had most of our zincs left that year

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
swab1985 said:
If the boats aren't grounded properly and they are running battery chargers they could be causing it, we had a big ol wood POS workboat using one next to us one season, and all of our zincs were shot half way through the season...the season after that he moved and wasnt there, we still had most of our zincs left that year
I guess you are meaning the old style non-isolation transformer types???

I believe the new electronic and new isolation transfomer style should not cause any problems.

The old style were notorious for feeding current to the shoreside neutral which could bypass any galvanic isolators and cause stray current corrosion...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Electrolysis

If you are looking for a product that completely eliminates electrolysis through a process of stray current detection, sourcing and eliminating then you might like to try a company called SeaBis who bring out an electrolysis corrosion prevention system. Once the stray current has been detected and eliminated the system works as an alert that monitors any new stray current coming on board after that.

Boaties have been using the product 5 years plus and remain free of stray current

This is a system that measures stray current and can measure stray current in the water- inside and outside the vessel.

more detail on the product can be found at http://www.seabis.net

Angelika K

1 - 9 of 9 Posts