BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After you fillet and salt you rherring, do you freeze it immediately or let it sit a for a while? In the ice box or room temp? I never used herring as bait, but there is a run in a creek near here and thought I would take my daughter for a little fishing and keep some for bait.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Plastic container, fillets skin side down, coat with thick layer of kosher salt, next layer of fillets and more salt, keep in fridge, do not freeze, will last for over a year this way, freezing just screws them up.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
chunking said:
Plastic container, fillets skin side down, coat with thick layer of kosher salt, next layer of fillets and more salt, keep in fridge, do not freeze, will last for over a year this way, freezing just screws them up.
Same procedure for Peanut Bunker (not fillet'd)? Salted then fridge, not frozen?

And either way, do you continue to drain the moisture that the salt pulls out of them, or let them sit in it?

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
very similar to "Salt Curing" cod for "salt cod cakes"....

With the trim we get from cod on the menu when butchering I take the bellies and extra pieces....submerge in about pound of Salt....wrap it...label it stick it in the walk in...come back in 3 months and you have Salt Cod...it isn't as dry as the stuff at the store but rinse and boil:):) Great salt cod!!

I'm going off the beaten path here...but I'm sure it's just the same for salting hearing or any other baits...leave them in there...if a lot of moisture is pulled out I would think you would want to drain that off so it doesn't start to stink....and re salt as needed...

No need to freeze...the fish is getting cured from the salt...no need to freeze...won't go bad let the salt do the work

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
JoeyZac said:
Same procedure for Peanut Bunker (not fillet'd)? Salted then fridge, not frozen?

And either way, do you continue to drain the moisture that the salt pulls out of them, or let them sit in it?
Never salted peanuts but it should work.

Sometimes I drain some juice off and add more salt. The salt pulls moisture off but not much of the oils. The juice will cover the fillets after a few days and you want to keep the fillets in that juice. That has become the brine and keeps the fillets preserved and oderless. Herring that I salted in October look like they just cams out of the water.

·
Registered
77,397 Posts
I took your advice Fred and it worked perfectly. This weekend I finally replaced my broken vacuum seal until and was thinking about moving them into smaller vacuum sealed packages. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The great thing about salting fish is that the technology hasn't changed in 400 years.

Cut fish
Salt fish
Allow liquids to drain or evaporate
Store in cool, dry place

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Some conflicting advice here, I think.

Let the salted bait sit in the juice that gets pulled out by the salt, or drain it off?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Joey, if you drain that juice, you'll likely end up with "herring leather." Tough to cut into strips and get on the hook.
I'll let my fresh fillets "drain" in the fridge in a collander overnight BEFORE salting them as Fred describes above. This allows just a little of the excess moisture out... After salting, they'll develop a thick brine that seems to keep just the right moisture balance in the fillets. Much firmer than fresh, but not rock hard leather like I got on the drained attempts.
And don't ever freeze them... You'll get mush when they thaw.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
plenty of fluke had their last meals at the hands of my salted bluefish mackeral, and herring strips last year.

i like to leave the juice in and not drain it. as putem on stated, the moisture balance is maintained. and a nice firmness is created,.

this one ate a bluefish strip
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/70023

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Dude, were you mad at that fish? You look like you're in a cage match with thing. Talk about a naked choke!

zar2754 said:
plenty of fluke had their last meals at the hands of my salted bluefish mackeral, and herring strips last year.

i like to leave the juice in and not drain it. as putem on stated, the moisture balance is maintained. and a nice firmness is created,.

this one ate a bluefish strip

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Putem OnIce said:
Joey, if you drain that juice, you'll likely end up with "herring leather."...........
With the herring I agree.

I know the thread is about herring and strips, but I'm thinking more along the lines of Peanuts. The juice that gets pulled out of them is some pretty ripe stuff. Just wondering if they are better off with it left in, or will it cause them to turn to mush/rot?

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
JoeyZac said:
With the herring I agree.

I know the thread is about herring and strips, but I'm thinking more along the lines of Peanuts. The juice that gets pulled out of them is some pretty ripe stuff. Just wondering if they are better off with it left in, or will it cause them to turn to mush/rot?
mush/rot is the correct answer to your question....

and i simply have my game face on. :cool: :D

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
zar2754 said:
mush/rot is the correct answer to your question....

and i simply have my game face on. :cool: :D
That has been my experience to this point with them as well - mush/rot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts