BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at some more boats this weekend and had a couple questins on surveys. do you put an offer or deposit down first before the survey? or deposit than wait till survey than offer? also what does a survey go for nowadays and what is the usual turn around on a survey?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
My last purchase was thru a broker. They wanted an offer and deposit before the survey. If the survey finds problems that were not expected you can renegotiate the price or walk away. But make sure this is in writing or they may not return your deposit. If your dealing with a private party you can work out your own arrangement but I would still get everything in writing. Its been a few years but my survey was about $600 for a 31 footer. If you wait till spring the surveyors will be much busier and it will take a little longer to get the results but still only a about week at the most.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,372 Posts
I think you would want to make an offer that you know would be accepted before paying for a survey. The offer and deposit should be contingent on a positive survey. No sense paying for a survey if the owner won't accept your offer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Survey

What they said. I'm in the same situation right now with and offer
and deposit on a boat in NY. Check with Dunk on the survey quote,
he got back to me pretty quick (after he found my request in his junk
mail folder:thumbsup:) and was able to provide some helpful information in
the process.

Broker has 10% of the offer price and I have a signed agreement
contingent upon survey/inspection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,798 Posts
What they said. I'm in the same situation right now with and offer
and deposit on a boat in NY. Check with Dunk on the survey quote,
he got back to me pretty quick (after he found my request in his junk
mail folder:thumbsup:) and was able to provide some helpful information in
the process.

Broker has 10% of the offer price and I have a signed agreement
contingent upon survey/inspection.
Still don't understand why that went into the junk folder because the other junk doesn't...

But yes, most brokers want a deposit from the buyer and an accepted sell price from the seller before a survey is set up. Just make the buy price contingent on the survey. This gives you working room on the list of problems found. Sometimes the seller will fix things. Other time the seller will reduce the price to cover repairs. Natually the broker wants the sell price as high as possible for his commission.

My turn around time on surveys is less than 48hrs. More times than not I have the survey back the next day. If you are there during the survey, which I prefer you'll know what I do when I do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still don't understand why that went into the junk folder because the other junk doesn't...

But yes, most brokers want a deposit from the buyer and an accepted sell price from the seller before a survey is set up. Just make the buy price contingent on the survey. This gives you working room on the list of problems found. Sometimes the seller will fix things. Other time the seller will reduce the price to cover repairs. Natually the broker wants the sell price as high as possible for his commission.

My turn around time on surveys is less than 48hrs. More times than not I have the survey back the next day. If you are there during the survey, which I prefer you'll know what I do when I do.
bob email sent....thanks:D
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top