BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
39,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post one of your best days...

One of our best days was in the early summer of 2010.
Left Rusty Joes on a iffy day where they were calling for 2-3's to reduce to 1-2's. Took some squid and minnows and we headed out. Hit the channel where it was just over 1' seas... and picked up a few really nice fluke on squid and gulp. A few 3+lb fish. Decided to head to the maul where I heard they were pulling some nice fish. Arrived and had a few nice fish to add to the box. 8 fish limit per man so we kept on looking for even bigger fish. Had 11 fish by noon :eek:...
We wanted to look for some bigger fish so we went a bit south. Stopped at a spot mid way between the maul and 14 foot just above #19..
Drift was a perfect outgoing 1.5 kts...
We rigged up some belly and my nephew saw some bunker splashing. Instead of dropping we headed over to the bunker and snagged 3 fish. I cut some bunker belly and took a peice of bunker spine and rigged it.
Within 2-3 minutes we had a pole bend on a dead stick. It felt like a fluke and it was the largest fish of the day on the bunker spine :eek: 6 1/2lber
We rigged a few more spines and had a few more really nice fish (over 4lbs) within minutes... until the spine was gone. It came off the hook so easy. It was a great bait while it lasted.. outfished the belly 2-3 to one. Maybe it was so fresh? Or it was that good.. :huh: Had 16 keepers by 2:30 and it was off to the barn :D.. We were throwing back really nice fish that were over 20"..

I use a three way swivel with a 3" section of mono tied to a bank sinker.. other side is tied to 30" of 40lb floro tied to a 5/0 Gami shiner hook with a green, pink, or white buck tail slider. We use meat and Gulp chartruse minnows.. 4" :)

FLUKE get here :thumbsup:

·
Registered
865 Posts
From Raritan bay but this is my favorite

Left the dock late with the wife on my old trophy had talked to my buddies and the marina who ALL said there was a INSANE bite in ambrose channel was allover the VHF ect ect ect

well i decided to avoid the fleet and drift the reach had a slow pick of shorts using killies and squid... Then my wifes rod went off right as she was giving up hope Ended up landing a great 6 pounder Her personal best...ever since then she is hooked on fluke fishing and tans less and fishes more lol wasnt a killer day came home with 4 keepers hers being by far the largest but was by far my best day fluking seeing her face when that fish broke the surface and not a single other boat in sight...

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Woof Woof Mike! :D

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
First off Joe your killing me...I would rather flounder fish then any other. lol Can't wait for the summer. Best day took my daughter to buoy 1 caught way to many tb's and a few keepers. She hooked to a 5lb + flounder got it in the net. How's that commercial go bait $5, gas $20, look on her face priceless. I don't think that's what you where looking for but felt like sharing.

Best day catching was at Avalon "patties hole" caught over 100 flounder and 3 men limit. Not the big bay but the back bay. Lol

·
Banned users
6,339 Posts
In 2008 I went out of Fortesque by myself in early June was on the water by 9 starting drifting by the old wr buoy caught about 45 flounder with 5 keepers biggest being about 7 lbs was using squid & minnies

·
Registered
355 Posts
Seems like the past 2 years my average day was to catch 25-50 flounder, from 14" to 17 7/8" and maybe 3-5 over 18". Love to fish for them! Need to change the rules for awhile. Had lunch at the Lobster House eating fillets from 13" fish? Why does the target species always seem to be the recreational fisherman?
:confused:

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
My best fluke days

Will happen this year when I get my 6 year old on the fluke for the first time in the bay...I think she is ready for a trip and I cant wait...:thumbsup:..Stay tuned.....:D

·
Registered
347 Posts
My best fluke day was a few years ago my son and I caught 12 keepers my largest was 29 1/2" my son caught 1 right at 25" the smallest fish that day was 20"they were all caught on shedder and squid and minnie combo northern part of bay in close.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Not my best day, but...........late 90s, outa Double A, mid Aug, solo, drifting squid strips with an outgoing tide about 1/2 mile inside flattop......nice north to south drift.....caught probably 50 with about 15 keepers.....I only keep/kept 4 as I only take what I and my wife will eat fresh....no freezing, so...........only fished about 4 hours.....Next day with 2 friends, same tide/time/weather/bait etc, you get the picture...........we caught maybe 10 fish, and I really don't remember if we had a keeper....they thought I was lying...:(

·
Registered
31,677 Posts
my best day was back in 1978 with my dad and my grandpop.i was 14 then.
we went on grandpops 16 foot wood open boat with a 25 horse motor. we shoved off of cloverdale ave in the villas.went out about a mile and started drifting. incoming tide so it basically took us up towards the old drum beds.
we killed them using squid on the old 2 hook,weight in the center rig dragging the bottom.they almost looked like coat hangers.we caught non stop for about 3 hours.many double headers for us all.decided we had enough and cranked the motor to no avail:eek:. broke out the oars and dad and i rowed our way in towards land until it was shallow enough my dad got out and walked the boat into the old railway that was in the villas and they took us in the rest of the way.the good old days:thumbsup: miss you grandpop. thanks for the memories:)

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
past season ,new chartplotter, fished alotta stakes did ok average 3-4 keepers most times.used chartplotter and found a hump we named chicken head. first drift we caught almost immediately,most throw backs, second grift moved over few hundred yrds .... game on. we were snagging fresh bunker ,strippin them out and bam keeper,bam keeper, also used spro bucktails and we caught limits alot every time we fished it towards august or just before irene came whenever that was. second time was tuckerton by myself first time there caught 5 keepers in 1 hour in same 100 yrd area and my biggest to date..

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Not the bay, but Joe I am sure you remember this...

Weekend back in the summer of 2009. We went to one of the hot spots on Saturday and showed John how to catch fluke... Saturday we put about 50 fish in the box with 14 keepers to 6 lbs. The fishing was so good you broke a cardinal sin and told the boss you were gonna again on Sunday! Went back out Sunday and Caught another 11 keepers to 8lbs...

Ready to beat that this year?

·
Registered
39,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not the bay, but Joe I am sure you remember this...

Weekend back in the summer of 2009. We went to one of the hot spots on Saturday and showed John how to catch fluke... Saturday we put about 50 fish in the box with 14 keepers to 6 lbs. The fishing was so good you broke a cardinal sin and told the boss you were gonna again on Sunday! Went back out Sunday and Caught another 11 keepers to 8lbs...

Ready to beat that this year?
That bro was the best weekend of Fluke EVER!
We couldn't keep fish off the hooks :D
I hope we have one day like that again. It was drop and reel with huge fish. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
954 Posts
My fluke days on the bay have been terrible with only a few keepers here and there. BT- I'm following you this year!!

My best fluke was caught on the AC Reef a few seasons ago. I was out solo picking at sea bass and every 10 minutes I was hooking big spiney dogs. They were a pain in the azz and were ruining my bottom rigs. I got lazy and kept cutting the leader down as I released the dogs and retying hooks. My rig was all chewed up with a 1.5 inch dropper to a hook at that point. Didnt matter for seabass.

I hooked what I thought was another big dog and as it came up I saw that it was a big fluke. After one man chinese fire drill I got it in the boat. It was 31" and caught by dumb luck.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Was living in WW. Me,my buddies' girlfriend and a co-worker of my buddy(he HAD to work that day) walked 2 miles down to WWW. Rented a 16 ft. - got live minnows and squid-HOT end of July day-I motor out to Cold Spring Inlet. Tide just starting in.Decide to drift from tip of CG jetty back to harbor area.Boat Traffic Insane-so stayed within 5 yards along the jetty as we drifted. WHAM-we had rented the THICK cheap BOAT rods-Rod Bends almost in half.Go get the NET -- SHEEEET--No NET! Rental place forgot and me,due to serious hangover,forgot to check. So - we start to swing the fluke into the boat--only lost 2 during the swings. Bud's 'friend' -working summer job from Montreal Canada-says'It dont look like a fish-throw mine back in-too weird looking'. Of course I dont listen to him thinking he's NUTS! We end up with 6 keepers in the boat--with quite a few of 'swing+a miss' due to inexperience. smallest flounder was 10 lbs-1 oz. - biggest 12 lbs-15 oz. We get back to the dock-all sun burned and DEAD tired. My 2 'fishing buddies' just get off the boat and decide they want any of the fish-'just leave them' - SO - I walk back with the 6 flounder with a total weight of just over 70 lbs. Landlady sees the fish in her sink(her fridge was full so I dumped the fluke in her sink with the tails sticking up in air) She gets home as i'm watching TV in the lounge with a brew and she starts hollering and screaming. I think she's mad cause I messed up her sink with fish slime -- well she asks who put these in her sink --Well she kissed up and down all over - happier than a pig-in-sheet. She then cleans all of them - and that night 16 people ate like Kings feasting on 2 inch thick filets - the next morning it was cold flounder and eggs for ALL.
WHAT a HOT JULY 21 in 1974 !!
(Live minnies+squid strip combo for the flounder on yellow top+bottom fluke rigs)
I've had much better days when the limits were much higher BUT never this insane 'QUALITY'.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.