BASS BARN banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have not seen many(if any at all) online fishing logs, I figured for my final project in my web app course I would right one and try and get it to the web. The basic premise would be that you would be able to go onto a web site, login and keep a log of all fish you have caught...as you would normally do with a log....My question is does anyone see use in this project and any suggestions on information that people keep in a log...

All other suggestions are welcome...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,368 Posts
Gboro54 said:
Since I have not seen many(if any at all) online fishing logs, I figured for my final project in my web app course I would right one and try and get it to the web. The basic premise would be that you would be able to go onto a web site, login and keep a log of all fish you have caught...as you would normally do with a log....My question is does anyone see use in this project and any suggestions on information that people keep in a log...

All other suggestions are welcome...
will you be offering it for free, or would there be a fee to join?? I think it is a good idea, and will other be able to look at your log, or would it be private??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
flyerphan13 said:
will you be offering it for free, or would there be a fee to join?? I think it is a good idea, and will other be able to look at your log, or would it be private??
It would more in likley be a free service as long as cost for hosting it is not to much...I know that is the first challenge I would face when i get an alpha version done...As far as public or private I am not sure yet...I am open to suggestions for that one...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,960 Posts
Sure make a free fishing log , but when I need an online block pool your nowhere to be found:D

I can see your log already Rob caught 5, I caught 1:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
moparfan said:
Sure make a free fishing log , but when I need an online block pool your nowhere to be found:D

I can see your log already Rob caught 5, I caught 1:p

Yeah yeah.....well if the fishing log does not get a favoriable review my next choice was to write an online block pool...no matter what I will write one this summer for you...just need to find a server that will host the stuff I will be using to write it...LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,960 Posts
Gboro54 said:
Yeah yeah.....well if the fishing log does not get a favoriable review my next choice was to write an online block pool...no matter what I will write one this summer for you...just need to find a server that will host the stuff I will be using to write it...LOL
Talk to Mike. He should know some cheap servers to use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,865 Posts
I think its a great idea. However in the great BB tradition, exact spots should not be viewable to the members of the board other than the poster themself. I have never kept a log but looking back, really wish I had gotten more into that aspect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thinking about it...spots would be kept secret...the only public thing other people could view would they would be able to search a lake and see what has been caught recently...for example:
If I login and want to see whats been caught at Iona Lake...I would be able to to that but the only information they would get is size and species...nothing else this will not be used for spot burning though....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
it sounds like a good idea. it would be a good idea if every one is able to view it to see what kind of season everyone is having as long as every one i telling the truth. will this be for saltwater and freshwater fish?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am thinking it will be available for fresh and salt...salt would be a little more user type input as there is only one body of water that people fish...As far as making thinks public or private I like the idea of letting the user decide...but here is what I am thinking...

Public= Every bit of info is showing from the user
Private= Either nothing or just general info like species and size and date....

This way someone can see what kind of season someone is having without getting the other persons private info like spots
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
any thing else? I am looking for any suggestions on information that one would want to be kept... how many years back people would like there logs to stay for things of that nature and anything else people can suggest
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
My log I do:
Location, Time, Date
Species, How many, Sizes
Presentation/Lure
Equipment
Water conditions: Level, Clarity, Temp
Moon/Tide
Weather: Wind speed and direction, Baratometer, Parcipitation, Air Temp
Previous Weather Trends: Description of last three days
Notes:
Other area reports I heard about


It is the first year I am writing all this, usualy I do date, place, fish total and sizes and notes. I put together all the info above from an article in the Fisherman Magazine, an article in the PA angler magazine and some help from some Barners. It is a pain in the but to write everything out, like 10 minutes a page, but I hope it will help me a few years down the road. I probaly wont use the online log jst because I am computer dumb and I will probaly erase it some how by accident but best of luck to you with this. It is a great idea and I hoe it works out.
Grant
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
moparfan said:
I think he is trying to keep all the info online, so you wouldn't have to keep a book somewhere.
Thats the general idea...there would be no papers to keep if you did not want to...everything would just be online for your convience.... and no its not done yet...I will be starting production this week and hope to have an alpha ready by mid-may to june
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top