1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
31 Posts
Most overnight Canyon Charters are anywhere between $2,500 and $3,200 for a 6 man charter before tip. Many of the charter boats are well under 45'.

The over/under is a 54' Bertram that is incredibly comfortable, so assume a $2,700 charter fee. Divide by 6, thats $450. Another $50 for tip (a lousy tip at at 11% by the way).

From their web site: "Note: Price includes tip. Customers are asked to supply their own food and beverage. Over Under Adventures supplies all bait, tackle, and ice."

The Doris Mae gets $250 for a party boat trip (not including tip). The Doris Mae is a great boat but you are sharing the rail with 24 other guys. When you include the tip, you are paying less than twice the Doris Mae and cutting the competition for fish by 4x, plus you are getting a longer (perhaps infinetely longer) shot of fish on the troll and a trip that is longer.

I don't have a boat and I am really happy that Trey and a few other really good captains give us all a shot at Canyon fishing on an open boat basis. The great thing is it gives us another choice. Ultimately each of us decides if it is worth the price.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree. $500 inc tip is a fair price for a boat like that.

I go out on the big J every year and I catch tuna and Howard's a great capt. but this year's prices are $245 plus $10 for a bunk if you can get one plus 15% tip and you're at $300.

Is it worth $200 extra to share a 54' boat with 5 other guys versus a 125' boat with another 35-36 guys. I think so.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
MY SON IN LAW AND HIS BUDDIES FROM SINKING SPRINGS NEAR REDING HAVE CHARTERED TREY FOR APRIL I THINK. THEY DID IT BECAUSE OF WHAT HE OFFERS AND WHAT HE PROVIDES. THEY WILL GET PICKED UP ON THE MAINLAND AND FLOWN TO THE BOAT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts