BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently completed a survey of trout fisherman on opening day at Greenwich Lake. There was 0 trout caught at the time I was present which was between 730 am and 1230 pm, not one was caught. If anyone fishes this lake and catches a trout please post it here. Also if you fished this lake and not caught any trout please post it here as well. I don't no weather to think it was the weather or some other reason for the lack of fish caught. I surveyed 69 fisherman that day, and every one of them asked the same question, " Did they stock here this year?" it was embarrassing to say the least as I was in essence representing the state of NJ being a WCC volunteer. The state lists Greenwich Lake as being stocked with 1250 trout before opening day. I have being doing these surveys for several years now and never have I seen so many disappointed faces. Please tell of your 2014 opening day trout season experience. I hope yours was more successful than what I saw at Greenwich opening day.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I saw one caught yesterday, and another swimming that wouldn't bite. Everyone yesterday said they were just following baits in and not biting.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The Brooks and Brown Trout are not biting sitting bait. IE Power bait. I was there today and killed em on live minnows and a small Rapala. I was culling fish because for about 45 minutes they were hitting good. I left there with 6 and came back. They stopped hitting when I came back. Don't know if they put any rainbows in there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Don't know of many being caught at giampietro park at least not by me or anyone I've talked to there and talked to a buddy and he said none really being caught at mary elmer lake either

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Summary of 2014 NJ Trout Stocking Changes
The NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildlife’s 2014 spring trout stocking program has been
modified due to the impacts of a fish disease (furunculosis) at the Pequest Trout
Hatchery. The Division has implemented a plan to control the disease at the hatchery,
but it is necessary to modify the trout stocking program this spring in order to conserve
and protect our wild trout resources and other year round trout fisheries in accordance
with the Division’s Fish Health Policy.
The Division reminds anglers that there are no human health risks associated with the
bacterium,
Aeromonas salmonicida, that causes this disease and recommends anglers
consult Division’s website for updates to the 2014 trout stocking program as the season
progresses.
Highlights of these changes include:
Traditional seven-week in-season stocking season was shortened to four in-season weeks.
With the exception of the Toms River, Pequest, Metedeconk N/Br and S/Br, and the
Manasquan River waters with designated in-season closures will only be stocked the first
three weeks of the in-season stocking period and at reduced allocations. The Toms River,
Pequest River, Metedeconk N/Br and S/Br, and the Manasquan River will be stocked for
the first four in-season weeks and will receive their usual allotments.
Five lakes; Lake Hopatcong, Swartswood Lake, Little Swartswood Lake, Lake
Musconetcong, and Columbia Lake will be stocked pre-season only.
Trophy Trout (2), Holdover Trout (5), trout production (18), and waters connected to
trout production waters (16) will not be stocked in order to protect priority trout
resources. The year round fisheries in Trophy Trout, Holdover Trout and trout production
waters will still provide anglers excellent trout fishing opportunities this spring. Anglers
are encouraged to practice catch and release on small trout production streams.
Rainbow trout and brown trout were stocked during the pre-season instead of the brook
trout typically stocked in most waters for the season opener.
87 warmwater lakes and streams traditionally stocked with trout that do not support trout
year round (primarily lakes and ponds in the eastern, central, and southern areas of the
state) have been allocated more trout than usual this spring.
Four new river sections; Hackensack River
(below Oradell Reservoir dam), Rahway River
(St Georges Ave. to Milton Ave.), Raritan River (below Rt. 206 bridge), and Passaic
River (below Great Falls to Dundee Dam) were added to the program for 2014 only. In
addition, DOD Lake and Farrington Lake not scheduled to be stocked will receive trout
this year.

I think something changed with this stocking, some of the sj stockings had protested stocking infected fish.... I was NOT at the meeting so I can't tell u first hand.weather it ture or not,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts