BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Was at the show yesterday looking for a new Gps. Looked at Garmin, Lowrance and Raymarine primarily. But I stopped at the Sitex booth, and was very impressed with the Color Max 10.4" unit. It was very user friendly. It has all the features I want-no touch screen, 2 card slots, etc..
Anyone have any experience with Sitex? A couple old timers in my marina swear by them, and at one time I had a sonar made by Sitex that worked excellent. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
sitex is not what is used to be. The CVS106 was by far one of the best sounders. The GPS's always seemed to be lagging in technology. I haven't seen the new stuff, but they lost me when the came out with the CVS106L... a horrible LCD fishfinder you couldn't see in anything close to sunlight.

Why do you need dual slots???

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sud-Z

I have the Colormax Wide with a year under my belt with it. Also have radar and fishfinder modules. I like mine very much. Sunlight readable, excellent refresh rate,instant screen change, nice size screen for splits ( yours is even better). Airmar dual frequency transducer. Solid Unit. I think these new units compare favorably to Lowrance, Garmin at this price point. Just a note...Si-tex is no longer with Koden and no longer in Florida. They have moved to Long Island NY.

I will say , after reading Sea Sparks comments above, I had the ProFish Map/Chart/Plot prior to the Colormax and was terribly disappointed. The Colormax is a different animal.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Si-tex is no longer with Koden and no longer in Florida. They have moved to Long Island NY.
That's the best news they could ever release. The only problem is now with the economy low, and a almost nonexistant market share, it's going to be tough for them to play catch up.

I personaly would like to see their units a little more modern, maybe use Navionics charts, and offer NMEA 2000 for interfacing like all the others are doing.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Also wanted to add...my unit uses the NMEA 0183 protocol and is not plug N Play like other units. I was indeed surprised that the optional peripherals (Radar, Fish Finder) needed to be hardwired to a black box which I thought was archaic

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
We had a color finder cvs--- on the old boat. It worked great. Also heard tha they aren't in near as good as other's. We have Garmin gps's on the new boat. They all work awesome!

I love them all!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I go with Garmin, I like the 4208. It is an 8" screen I believe, but is like $400 more than the Sitex 10" screen. I already have stand alone Radar and Sonar so The multi screen options don't appeal to me. I just hate the 5" and 6" screen units. All my units are mounted under my hard top, and I don't want to have to be right on top of them to read them. I think one reason people are down on Sitex is simply because they don't have experience with it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Sitex is there and stands with good customer support. If you as many are smaller boat guys, Sitex offer good multifuntion units. They do not network as the navnet 3d does. But that is not what their focus is.
They are good stand-alone or multifunction machines. Yes they have moved, great guys, as my booth is across from them at the relatively empty show, so had a good bit of time to quiz them on functionality, and pretty much everything...........
One huge advantage, which make a trmendous difference when running at night....
Their radar can run at double rpm speed 48 rpm update without having 24 volts to motor.
The update is is very important, especially in a crowded inlet in the fog or running offshore at night...
This is something often overlooked, and when utilized, it is a huge plus...
We will be looking forward to having a full Sitex offering and touch and fell set up in our showroom in the very near future.
Feel free to reach out, ask questions, and i can put you in touch with the great guys from sitex..
Capt. Rich

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spent quite a bit of time with the guys at Sitex at the show on Thursday. I went looking for a Garmin or Lowrance Hd series, looked at the sitex and am now leaning that way. Keep the opinions coming!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.