BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18,154 Posts
We are all different, but for what it's worth I tie all my rigs so that the hooks just touch bottom when the main line is vertical to the bottom.

Even when I am not using Jigs, most of my tog hits come when I am barely moving the weight along the bottom. I want to insure the bait is just on the bottom with no slack in the lead. This helps me best feel the bit, and keep the crab in the feeding zone.

·
Registered
33,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are all different, but for what it's worth I tie all my rigs so that the hooks just touch bottom when the main line is vertical to the bottom.

Even when I am not using Jigs, most of my tog hits come when I am barely moving the weight along the bottom. I want to insure the bait is just on the bottom with no slack in the lead. This helps me best feel the bit, and keep the crab in the feeding zone.
so the sinker is below the leader thats tied to the line ,almost like a high/low rig?

·
Registered
31,677 Posts
we use 1 hook. weight on bottom. like a hi lo rig but no hi.

·
Registered
18,154 Posts
so the sinker is below the leader thats tied to the line ,almost like a high/low rig?
No, the bottom of the hook is in line with the bottom of the sinker. I only use one hook 95% of the time. If I use two hooks, it is a snafu rig and I would only use that offshore.

·
Registered
33,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
No, the bottom of the hook is in line with the bottom of the sinker. I only use one hook 95% of the time. If I use two hooks, it is a snafu rig and I would only use that offshore.
I believe we will be going off,but not sure, will be hopping a boat out of belmar

·
Registered
33,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when I tie ling rigs thats how I tie them hook and sinker even.....got some of those ,I'll pack em

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
The longer and lighter leaders are sometimes preferable up there. I've learned that the hard way on multiple occasions while using shorter heavier leaders like I'm used to when fishing our wrecks down here. The fishing is different on their low rock bottoms and more heavily pressured as well. Tie up some rigs on 30 pound fluoro with a 14-16" leader and a dropper tied an inch or two above the sinker loop. You're also casting/flipping around much more fishing the rocks searching for life, and I think that has a lot to do with the presentation.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Like said above it depends where you're fishing and the environment. I fish the sod banks a lot down south. All rigs work but i'm not afraid to tie a high low with the high hook being 12 inches or more above the sinker. The idea being that i'm constantly feeling for and sliding in and out of holes and ledges. I cover more of the column. If i fall in a small hole or off a ledge, the low hook is always on the bottom and the high hook may still be on or near the top of the ledge. Its probably almost 50/50 on which hook catches. Also again with the sod banks, there's not to much to snag on, so multiple hooks don't scare me. On wrecks I lean more towards one hook.

·
Registered
18,154 Posts
Interesting thread.

My togging is almost all back bay - about 90% sod banks to get away from any boat traffic, 10% around bridges when I need the deepest water late in the season. Many years ago I experimented with high/low rigs and found that I caught 95+% of my tog on the bottom hook, for me the top hook was just a waste of bait.

Best results are holding the rod and inching the sinker in every 15-20 seconds. It is very similar to enticer fishing, you know they are seeing the bait whether it's moving or not. but it's often that little bit of movement that triggers them to hit. That is also why using a jig on them is very effective.

·
Registered
33,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting thread.

My togging is almost all back bay - about 90% sod banks to get away from any boat traffic, 10% around bridges when I need the deepest water late in the season. Many years ago I experimented with high/low rigs and found that I caught 95+% of my tog on the bottom hook, for me the top hook was just a waste of bait.

Best results are holding the rod and inching the sinker in every 15-20 seconds. It is very similar to enticer fishing, you know they are seeing the bait whether it's moving or not. but it's often that little bit of movement that triggers them to hit. That is also why using a jig on them is very effective.
well today I ended up using 1 hook a shortish dropper loop where the hook was maybe 1 inch below the sinker ,felt every tap and swung on the bigger ones.....had a couple 4 once butterfly jigs cauhgt a short on it ,rigs were better today ,90 feet of water is too deep for a jig

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm excited to try out tog jigs for the first time this spring. Should be killer on the sod banks!

·
Registered
18,154 Posts
well today I ended up using 1 hook a shortish dropper loop where the hook was maybe 1 inch below the sinker ,felt every tap and swung on the bigger ones.....had a couple 4 once butterfly jigs cauhgt a short on it ,rigs were better today ,90 feet of water is too deep for a jig
Sounds like a fun day! The way you rigged it makes the feel very similar to a jig and often times more effective, especially in deeper water or when the current is running hard. Hope you pick up some big ones.

·
Registered
33,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like a fun day! The way you rigged it makes the feel very similar to a gig and often times more effective, especially in deeper water or when the current is running hard. Hope you pick up some big ones.
this happened yesterday jan. 13 on the capt cal II out of Belmar no I didn't get any biggons,but did catch the limit plus a bunch of close shorts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts