BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking for a new 9ft or 10ft rod to fit a certain niche. Basically it has to be a two piece because it needs to fit in my car. I am not looking to dish out a bunch of money I would like to keep it under $150. I play on using this rod for plugging and maybe a little bait work. Basically I will have it in the car when I am fishing the back bays so if I hear of something going off in the suds I have a rod to work with.

I was thinking one of these two...

Daiwa Emblem Surf EMSF902MFS 12-30 1-5 oz

Lamiglass Surf King SK10MS 14-30 2-4 oz

I have never used a Daiwa rod. I really like my 8ft Lami Ron Arra. I may take a look at Tica too. But I am not sure if they come in two piece?

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
I would look for a rod that would be more suitable to throwing plugs & bucktails because you can always have a rod & reel & plugs in the car but not have bait

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
I would look for a rod that would be more suitable to throwing plugs & bucktails because you can always have a rod & reel & plugs in the car but not have bait
I agree, and also a one piece rod is much better suited for plugging & bucktailing. You can even down size to a 8' rod for fishing the backside.
and spend alot less than $150.00.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Check out Star Rod's Stellar Surf Series, the 9 & 10 foot rods would do double duty. It is what I like about the rod. I have a 9 foot and it is very nice if I just wanted to bring one rod for tossing some rubber shads or bombers but maybe wanted to toss some blood works for King fish during the day. The price is $100 for the 9 and about $120 for the 10 footer.

I also wanted to add I have a 7, 9 & 10 foot Tica, Star Rods are better in my opinion.

GSBB

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
I agree, "Grass Sound Bass Bagger" recommended Star rods to me a couple weeks ago. I picked up the 9ft combined with a Penn Slammer Reel. I think it's awesome. Especially for the money. I would highly recommend to take a look at Star Rods:
http://www.seastriker.com/starrods/

I didn't know you picked one up. I knew you would like it, if you did.:thumbsup:

GSBB

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am going to check out the star rods they look good for the money and have a great warranty to boot! I think I am going to have a 10'6" or 11" conventional built off a lami blank in the early spring.

·
Registered
9 Posts
All the sticks mentioned here are excellent choices, and though I doubt that, in terms of price, you'll do better than a Tica, given the way you said you plan to use it--that is, "MOSTLY for plugging" (my emphasis)--you should imo at least take a look at the St. Croix Ben Doerr SS100M2, which when I last looked went $160.

Check out the price first, though, before you take one from the rack. Because, once you pick it up, you won't put it down. I have two custom Lamis, and I can't tell you the number of times I've looked at 'em both and then grabbed the St. Croix. For its power, it's amazingly light.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I got a couple Tica TC2 9 foot 2pc 2-6oz. fast action rods for beaters. I think the rod now is about 100.00 I bought them at Cabelas a few years ago for 56.00. Great rod for the money. The thing weighs nothing, and casts about as well as my Loomis surf rods. I have also fished with some guys using 7 to 8 foot Tsunami rods, and they throw a plug well. Don't know which model though

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.