BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fished the back bays and inside inlets on a carolina skiff jvx 18 cc. I'm looking for any opinions.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i have a 16j and i take that thing everywhere... park it on brig cove all the time... go all over the great bay... absecon inlet... never had anyproblems... i would imagine your will be even better...

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Nice looking skiff.

I picked up a 1655 DLX though (on order), a little bit higher gunnel, and more suited for my needs.... though the JVX looks great as well.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
was lookin into gettin a j16 when i get some loot this summer. the JV model is significantly more money so i was over that, and it actually has a slightly narrower beam compared to the flat bottom version.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have the Standard 16 tiler which I don't see them making anymore? Has a flatter bottom then the JVC. I also have a 212 CC Hydrasport and between the months of June and August I am in my skiff 5-1 over the Hydrasport. Gets me in and out of skinny water, great for crabbing, clamming and fluken in the little cuts where nobody else seems to want to go. Great choice. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
had one when i was younger (geez that sounds old im 35 now) LOL.

Had it in great bay..think it was a 19'. no better boat than a skiff in that shallow water.

one of the better values out there in my opnion.

Nick

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys. There are several things I think like about the JVX - a little bit of a V with tunnels should help a little with the chop, casting decks in front and rear, and most of all; pre-wired for a trolling motor.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have a J16 tiller and like everyone else said, love it's ability to get into low water. Great for crabbing and getting into the creeks. The only downside for me with the J16 is that it is a really wet ride and the gunnels are a bit low for having little kids on the boat.

·
Registered
718 Posts
skiff

The carolina skiff is so versitile. Ive had mine now for about 5 years, we repowered with a 70hp suzuki fourstroke.

Mine is 19ft, but its like an older 80's model. Ive caught a lot of different species of fish in it, from flounder,seabass, triggers, stripers in the dbay, drum in the dbay. Ive also had a thresher on, and landed a mahi last year at the south shoal.

The boat draws less then 6inches on plane. Pm me if you have any questions about the skiff in general.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
I have a J16 style Sundance skiff center console with a 30HP, year 2000 that I'll be selling because I really don't use it very often. Look for it when it starts to warm up some and I can get it ready to sell.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
was lookin into gettin a j16 when i get some loot this summer. the JV model is significantly more money so i was over that, and it actually has a slightly narrower beam compared to the flat bottom version.
That's why I was looking at the JVX - more beam and I like the fact it is pre-wired for the trolling motor on the front casting deck.

·
Registered
771 Posts
If you can swing it get the sea chaser,smooth ride in rough water.Those square front skiffs are wet and riugh.

·
Registered
973 Posts
My first rig was the 19' with a 88 hp Johnson - loved it - fished the hell out of it for a couple of seasons and sold it for more than I paid for it. Used to run it all the way out to the Farms - caught some beatings but knew it would get me home.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you can swing it get the sea chaser,smooth ride in rough water.Those square front skiffs are wet and riugh.
The JVX doesn't have the flat square bow, that's why I'm interested in it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.