BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the boat show because I want to upgrade. I now have a 21 ft striper seaswirl and was relatively happy with it; however, I got on the 23 ft Polar Walkaround w/cutty cabin that knocked me out. I loved it. After many of my fishing buddies 'kicked the tires' with me, I put a small deposit on the boat with a sea trial contingency.
I have been all over the net and can't get any reviews or opinions about the boat.
What about you guys? Does anyone know anything about them? Please let me know what you think, ASAP.
Aprecciate any and all feed back,

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I know NJ Angler reviewed the boats last year. Maybe Bill Donovan can get you a copy of that issue. I will look for my copy if I find it I will shoot you an email. I know a friend who has the small CC. He loves it and says it rides like a much bigger boat. They have a nice bow flare also and many options that many other boats dont have in the smaller models. Good Luck!

[ 09-13-2004, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Fish4Life ]

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
There is always boattest.com. As for the 05 not sure.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I checked out that boat at the show last year.It is a lot of bang for the buck.Around 40k?Did you get it rigged with twins or a single? They have a ton of big boat features like the sink and rigging station etc.I rode in the 23cc and it was a nice ride.But what is nice to me may be crappy for someone else, you really have to check it out for yourself.Good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your opinions. I hope I hear from more of you. I'm making my decision Thursday Morning.
I didn't get the twins. I'm getting the 250 Yami, 2 stroke.
Any new opinions?
Marina

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I'd look at a 4 stroke option. I now have twin 4 strokes for the first time in my life and they made a beleiver out of me.I'll never go back to 2 strokes. At least 35% more efficient at cruise and high speed and up to 70 % more efficient at trolling or idel speed. I'm getting 6 gph or better on a 23' GW Gulfstream. From what I've been reading and hearing that is pretty damm good.

Not to mention how quite they run.

Good luck.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Marinafox

I have the 2003 Polar 2300 WA.
It's a very nice boat, of course it is my first fishing boat so I don't have anything to compare it with. I'm very happy with it so far. there are some little things but you'll have that with any boat. One thing for sure it does handle very nice, I have the 250 hp Yamaha DHPI and it runs it's *** off. I get a lot of compliments on the boat. I purchase it from NJ Outboards, which hasn't been great partly because I don't have a trailer to bring back for maintenance and warrenty work and it's too far to motor back, I'm in Wildwood. They (NJ Outboards)screwed up the sizing of the prop (way over proped), which I didn't know until I took it in for Yamaha warrenty work. The manufacture has been very responsive to me even let Pier 47 do some warrenty work on the Boat.
All in all good so far, knock on wood, oh ya there is no wood on the boat :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jack,
I was trying to keep costs down and opted for the single verses twins. Maintenance will cost twice as musc, don't you experience that?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FhishHead2
I'm buying from the same place. Yes, it's going to be a hassle to get back there for service, but my mechanic is a yami guy and he can do the work on the motor right here in Brigantine. I don't expect to have to do anything else, I hope.
How's your gas efficiency? What size prop did you need to have?
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Yes. But I was suggesting to look into the 4 stroke vs 2 stroke engine regardless of single or twins.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jack,
Love hearing advise. I just need to know more about the difference beytween the 2 and 4 stroke. I understand the piston movement, but what does it mean as far as effeniency, performance, maintenance and speed?

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
Heard bad things about them! I have seen a few on the water and they look like they pound! My advise is to look around! You can get something much nicer for 40K! SEA PRO

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I have Suzuki 4 strokes 115's on my 23' \gw, whcih is rated for a maximum 400hp. I looked up the performance test data of my model boat on GW's web site and with twin 200 hp 2 stroke the boat at 4,000 rpms crusied at 35 mph and burned 19.5 gph. My actual experience on my boat is 4,000 rpm 28-29 mph and burns only 6 gph!! Granted, I'm 6-7 mph "slower" (btw 29 mph is plenty fast enough for me in the ocean)but bare in mind that these babies are only 115's vs 200's. Besides, wide open at 5,000 rpm I can run 33 mph when I want to. Also, I have trim tabs and performance really kicks in when the boat is properly trimmed out.

They are so quite that at idle speed you have to turn and look to be sure that they are running.

Bottom line.The 4 strokes cost more but it appears to me that you can save $$ by getting better performance out of a lessor hp engine. Not to mention the $$ saved on fuel.

I only suggest to check them out before signing for big bucks.

BTW, I'm not mechanically inclined so maybe some experts can contribute more technical information on this topic.

·
Registered
31,456 Posts
Today's 2 strokes and 4 strokes will give you about the same in fuel mileage and emissions. 4's will make less noise at idle but about the same at cruise. 2's will have more power through out the range. Generally 2's have better holeshots but Suzuki's uses a very large prop to get about the same holeshot. They sacrafice top end to get it though.

I'm not sure the weight of the 23 Polar but I don't think a 225 Johnson will be enough power when you need it. I have a 23 Dusky and it wouldn't be enough for mine. Mine's a very heavy 23 footer but it's a CC not Cuddy so it should be close. The only 4 stroke I would go with is a 250 Suzuki.

·
Registered
272 Posts
"Today's 2 strokes and 4 strokes will give you about the same in fuel mileage and emissions"
I think that is for your DFIs as in HPDIs and Optimaxes a reg EFI wont give you that and will be quite smokey compared to the HPDIs .
Marinafox are you looking at the polar with HPDIs? or just EFI ? I would at least go with a HPDI if not a 4 stroker.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey Marina fox,i have the 21 ft.cc.polar and love the boat..As for skips respose dont listen to him ive been on his new 30ft plow and i would feel much more comfortable going offshore in my 21 and thats the truth :cool: Ive been almost 40 off in 3 to5 no problem.My freinds and i had it in true 6to8s just for a fun ride to see how it would handle.Of course i dont reccomend that and i know it was dum but she held her own..good luck and the nj outboards crew are great guys.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To all of you who responded to my inquiries: I have taken every bit of your advise, my own research, a sea trial and the recomendations of consumer sites and have ordered the boat with twin 115 Yamaha 4 stroke motors.
Thank you all! Every time I'm out there, I'll be thinking about all of you with a smile on my face until I have to get towed in. :D
THIS YEAR I WILL BE THE BASS QUEEN!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts