BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 1988 36' Runaway being sold in Cape May, I never fished on one of these boats but always liked the looks. Made up in Pt.Pleasant dureing the 80's and maybe into the early 90's I'm not sure how long the company was in business, but I always stopped and looked at the two of them in our marina. They definetly have the looks of a boat made to fish in our NE waters, they have a heavy keeled hull, nice wide beam, it has a really nice raised bridge which you have two steps to get to the helm, it not only gives you a nice view of the water when running but the room in the engine compartment is the best I've ever seen on a boat even much bigger then this one. It was repowered in 2009 with Cummins 6CTA8.3M3's which we're in a bit of a debate over the actual HP, the owner listed them as tuned down to 350hp and that is what is on his survey sheet, but I think they are the fixed mechinical power 450hp versions and the surveyer may have made a typo. We're not sure if they could have tuned the 450's down to 350hp from the factory in order not to work the engines as hard. With the boat's weight and size and the performnance numbers he's getting it seems like they are 450hp, but we're checking on it. Either way they are excellent engines with only 90 hrs on them, it also has a new generator in 09, and a new tuna tower from 09. Xeon underwater lighting system,new lifeboat and many other upgrades. It's kind of a blend of a Express,DE and Convertible in one boat. With the keeled hull the boat's a rock on the drift even with the full tower, great ride and economical fuel burn as well, 370gs of fuel gives it plenty of range.It also has a huge fishbox which could actually hold 10-12 80lb tuna with plenty of room for ice to brine them in. It could very well be a great fit for us to move into, what input I've gotten so far has been excellent just looking for some additional opinions from anyone who has fished on them or owned one. I'm sure quite a few of you guys have seen the boat in BZL the owner had planned to run charters on the weekends but his plans have changed and just doesn't have the time to use the boat so he;'s selling it. We may even be able to work a partial trade of our 2011 20' Onslow Bay/Skimmer so he still has a boat he can trailer and talke the family out on when he does have time to fish. Any input? Still can't make any moves until our Albe sells we're hopeing for more action as spring gets closer. We may have a new buyer but just never know until the money is in our hands if it is sold or not.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Overall good boat, well built lots of glass. Hull came from a new England design ( harris)

They are wet and a little squirrly in a following see, nice soft ride big pit stable.

Check the fuel tank, it is a very unique design and if it's bad requires some real effort to remove.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I had a flybridge one with a full tower for years CHUMLEY was the name we ran it out of Shawcrest from 1995 - 2004. Mine was a 1974 Harris they were built in Mass. as said above squirly in a following sea but heavy built. Mine had a 3/4'' outer layer of glass with 3/8'' & 1/2'' bulsacore with 1/2'' inner glass. She was 38,000 lb. heavy for a 36' boat. I had problems with transducers getting ones long enough to reach through. Also if it is cored have it tested because if the core gets wet it can be a nitemare. Mine had a pair of 3208n cats 210 hp. She was heavy and slow 16nts cruise 18nts wot but would go through anything I put her through. 2-day canyon trips on less than 200gal. was great. if I were to get rid of my 44 Henriques I would look for another one before I bought anything else.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I fished on a runaway in the northeast canyons a handful of times. The ride reminds me of a downeaster style boat. Can go through almost anything, its a very wet boat, and is squirly in a following sea, sits great on the drift. It is a fishing machine! We were chuncking in the canyon and it blew up to 6 to 8, we were tied up, not fun! But had no worries about the boat. It calmed down in the morning to 4 ft with an occasional 6 and the ride home was wet but comfy. I would buy a runaway, great rig.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This boat you are describing I believe was in my marina a few years back inBelmar. Boat was being completely redone with commercial grade cummins as you described and new tower. Boat was like a yellow color if I recall correctly and looked awesome last time I saw it. Fish on another runaway and the boat is a beast. Heavy as described and because of the keeled hull very fuel efficient (overnight canyons trips under 200 gallons) with a low 20kts cruise. It is little wet and squirrelly in a following sea. Overall I think they are great boats would recommend them. If its the boat I am thinking of thought of buying myself back then just wasn't in the market at the time.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I have fished on one several times. Takes the rough stuff well. A solid ride.

I am not sure how many changes have been made over the years, but I have been in 12 footers in a 36'. I am still here posting. I like the design and the ride personally. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so are they still being made by Harris? I'm not sure what years that they were built under the runaway name. He has the weight listed at 29,000lbs from the 2009 Survey with a full crew of Capt.,Mate and 6 people 500lbs of ice, and loaded for the Canyon in good sea conditions he has it cruiseing at 2350rpms 21-22knts out and 23-24knts heading in, full day of trolling to the Wilmington from Cape May says he burns 160-170gs. seems low for a boat that big and heavy, but who am I to disagree, I could do with out the full tower, rather have a straight hardtop or half tower,I could do that but I'm sure that hull can handle the tower. We don't run in slop we're lucky enough tobe able to pick our offshore day any day of the week. It's got the right engines with the Cummins 6CTA8.3M3's very low hours since repowered, these are excellent engines easy to work on and parts are the least expenisve out of the brands of diesels out there, I can't stress how much I love all the room in the engine compartment , even my Pop at 74 could work in there without a problem. great tackle center. I'm not sure how much coreing is in this year boat I beleive they got away from it below the waterline, and cut some weight off the boat as it got newer. I know the stringers are capped with aluminum channel and epoxied to the stringer for added strength. It definetly sounds like the boat was the one in Belmar it's a light yellow tone witha big blue fish emblem on the side's. Definbetly a boat that you stop and look at and can see it was built to fish. I'm not to sure of the cabin lay-out, I know it was just redone but it's nothing fancy, obviously matches the hardcore fishing theme of the rest of the boat. I'm going to take a ride and take a look at in the next week if he can make it there, I would look to run some charters on it but not as a full time thing, I'd run some striper chunking trips and some drum trips, maybe some wreckfishing. I really don't think I'd want to run offshore trips, in these days they just aren't something I would want todo. I'd just get a 12 trip insurance plan or something close to that, I ran them before and it was the most reasonable thing todo for just running enough trips to help with dock slip bills, and other expensies. I don't think I can even activate my license until I can get off of a few medications, they've just added a whole new list of banned prescriptions that Captains can't take, blood pressure pills I beleive are one of the new ones, that's getting pretty picky. If it came down to me needing to have someone else run the boat with me with their license I don't know if it would be worth it, but I'd look into it. Hopefully with me starting my new Physical therapy next week, and possibly trying a new procedure which supposedly works extrmely well for people with chronic pain that surgery doesn't help. Dunk put me unto the procedure which worked great for him so I'm makeing an apointment with them,anything to get me off some meds would be worth trying. Thanks for ther imput guys, I'm going to keep looking into them,.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I'm looking at a 1988 36' Runaway being sold in Cape May, I never fished on one of these boats but always liked the looks. Made up in Pt.Pleasant dureing the 80's and maybe into the early 90's I'm not sure how long the company was in business, but I always stopped and looked at the two of them in our marina. They definetly have the looks of a boat made to fish in our NE waters, they have a heavy keeled hull, nice wide beam, it has a really nice raised bridge which you have two steps to get to the helm, it not only gives you a nice view of the water when running but the room in the engine compartment is the best I've ever seen on a boat even much bigger then this one. It was repowered in 2009 with Cummins 6CTA8.3M3's which we're in a bit of a debate over the actual HP, the owner listed them as tuned down to 350hp and that is what is on his survey sheet, but I think they are the fixed mechinical power 450hp versions and the surveyer may have made a typo. We're not sure if they could have tuned the 450's down to 350hp from the factory in order not to work the engines as hard. With the boat's weight and size and the performnance numbers he's getting it seems like they are 450hp, but we're checking on it. Either way they are excellent engines with only 90 hrs on them, it also has a new generator in 09, and a new tuna tower from 09. Xeon underwater lighting system,new lifeboat and many other upgrades. It's kind of a blend of a Express,DE and Convertible in one boat. With the keeled hull the boat's a rock on the drift even with the full tower, great ride and economical fuel burn as well, 370gs of fuel gives it plenty of range.It also has a huge fishbox which could actually hold 10-12 80lb tuna with plenty of room for ice to brine them in. It could very well be a great fit for us to move into, what input I've gotten so far has been excellent just looking for some additional opinions from anyone who has fished on them or owned one. I'm sure quite a few of you guys have seen the boat in BZL the owner had planned to run charters on the weekends but his plans have changed and just doesn't have the time to use the boat so he;'s selling it. We may even be able to work a partial trade of our 2011 20' Onslow Bay/Skimmer so he still has a boat he can trailer and talke the family out on when he does have time to fish. Any input? Still can't make any moves until our Albe sells we're hopeing for more action as spring gets closer. We may have a new buyer but just never know until the money is in our hands if it is sold or not.
hay ron did you sell the albimarle?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Harris boat Co. went out in the early 80's and Runaway didn't last long either. These were semi custome boats I have even seen them in single engine models. Mine was so over built I can see why they didn't last long in buisness because production boats had the market cornered then. These boats took time to build.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really like the boats they are well built, ideal boat for our NE waters, as long as your not into running super fast speeds which I'm not. I'll give you a call Art. Who all is going tobe at the AC boat show? I have the number of another guy who charters a 36 Runaway and has had it for awhile, he maybe selling his but I'm getting some good guys to call. I need to find out more about the tank and weither the 88's used balsa coreing below the waterline, still getting very positive feedback on them. Mike your definetly right about semi-custom boats this size haveing a hard time makeing money with how well built they are. We'll be at the show Friday afternoon.
Mike our boat sale turned into a real nightmare, I really let it bother me with what the guy did, I made some mistakes and paid for it. I made the mistake of saying must sell when we're in a like to sell situation, then he heard I was haveing health issues so those two items had him seeing vultures flying over our boat or me,there are some real low class people out there, he contacted me and was nice as can be, he wanted the boat and agreed to buy it at $69k pending no major problems found via survey. Survey went excellent, the surveyer even said there should be no reason for the sale not togo thru, I again confirmed price before we sea trialed, boat ran great. 2800rpms WOT 30knts 5 miles and the guages were all rock solid. cruised 2400 at 23knts. We're waiting for confirmation fromn the buyer, and after 10 days I finally get a email, stateing with everything needed tobe done before the boat is ready togo back in the water (paint the bottom, new zincs, and put the props back on I had retuned, that's it) in addition I found 4 of your model boat at $40k-$50k down south, I ran every 32 Albe Fb listed as well as the ones sold in the last 4 years and I keep track of each one, there are 4 at that price all of them are completely original with all outdated equipment and zero upgrades, he'll put 2 or 3 yrs and 75k-100K getting any of them even close to where are boat already is, he also failed to mention the 5 boats that are fixed up and updated, each one from $12k to as much as $40k more then ours, I had a broker friend run them for me before we ever put our boat up forsale, they should have no bearing on our boat one way or another. He tells me I think $50k would be a very fair offer for your boat, and if you held the note on half of the price I could maybe go a little higher. I definetly over reacted, but I'm beat-up and in pain, going thru rehab and on meds I just was pissed. My Dad was running back and forth for this guy's surveyor, fixing things we knew needed tobe done, while I'm laid up in bed. He figured we had to sell so bad we would be so releived we had a buyer and the boat went thru the survey we'd say what the hell and just sell it $20k less, then our agreed price, I asked for the depletion list from the survey so I could see all these problems, he wouldn't show it, he didn't need to since I knew what was on there. and it certainly didn't support a $20k drop in price. I said I'll fix everything on the list and sell you the boat for $65k and that's it, still no reply. I asked to buy a copy of the survey for $500.'s again no reply. He used a buyers technique low lives like todo and I should have saw it comeing. I now realise why so many people don't care about the brokers 10% commision fee. With all the work and money my Pop and I put into the boat I just couldn't help but take it as a complete insult the way he did this. and quite honestly I just need to walk away, it isn't worth getting all worked up at these idiot low ballers and tire kickers. I have to much of an emotional connection to the boat, the market is bad enough without dealing with this. So We're letting Scotty White at our Marina list the boat, he knows the boat well and has helped us out alot with it. He is right there at the marina, has no emotional attachment to it, and is used to dealing with these guys. Maybe he could have worked the guy and got him upto a price we would deal at, but I honestly don't think he was guying a dime more then he offered. So that's what happened to our sale, I did have another guy last week since I dropped our boat to $65k firm who was nice enough to offer $40k. I have more important things I'm dealing with then wasteing time with people like this. I'm not going to worry about it or let it get to me anymore, we'll be fishing in our boat or another come spring either way we have a boat tons of people would love to own and we have the 20ft CC to run around inshore. Whatever happens is fine with us, we'd like to make a move if possible if not then our boat is running better and more updated then ever before so we'll be out there. Thanks for the imput guys. Tight lines, Ron

·
Registered
13 Posts
Squirrelly

Just curious, what exactly do those of you who said "squirrelly" in a following sea mean by that? I've had a boat that got pushed around in a following sea and it was a little exhausting running home on those afternoons where the wind turned southeast.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
She will run on her side. Never got turned around but you almost have to let her go where she wants to go because you can't use the wheel to get her out. This is a boat that you would need to power down to control her coming in a tight inlet. At sea just let her (RUNAWAY). Ron if you have any thing you want help with looking at these boats just e-mail me. I'm stuck working this weekend but I'm avalible most weekends in the W/W C/M area I would be able to point out anything I think you would be concered with on these boats. Like I said before the fuel tank was not that strange accualy a neat setup that gave you approx 25-gal per side reserve at rest to limp home. Now the water tank that was a strange one on mine. [email protected]:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The above post has it correct. I worked on one a dozen, maybe 20 times.

To be honest...I read about the first sentence of your post and stopped there. But this is what I can tell you:

No speed demon. 21 knots as I remember, dont know what was in the belly of the one I worked but there were several around and they all seemed to run the same.

Like any boat with a keel, she's a bit sketchy in a following sea. Like the above post said, she's going to want to lay to. Nothing scary, just is what it is.

Awesome fishiing platform. Nice big cockpit within two steps of the helm.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I logged thousands of hrs. and miles on mine this was my Exp. with mine. Not just a few trips. Now mine was one of the first one built #3 to be exact. As I said above in other coment I would not hessitate to buy another one. When I pulled the old engines It had 15,000 hrs. on the port and starboard engines origional and it only had 5,000 when I bought it in 1995. I think I kneew the boat well also totaly restored her in 1999-2000.:razz:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have owned and run a 1986 runaway since 1988. I agree with most of the comments which have been made on this thread about these boats. Great headsea ride (wet), excellent on the float or on the hook. Tender in a following sea, very economical. I have Volvo TAMD 60C's in mine which gives her a cruise right around 20Knots, not s speed demon but she will get you there and back in just about anything (been there done that). The comment made about the fuel tank is correct. They are aluminum and have been configured to rest in the keel of the boat. This gives the benefit of lowering the center of gravity and literally being able to use all the fuel in the tank. I did have to replace the tank several years ago which I was able to have fabricated to the exact specs and then painted with Imron to guard against corrosion. Taking the tank out of the boat is a very big job as it requires cutting the deck, and part of the massive fishbox. For its size it is by far the most comfortable boat I have ever fished on. My Runaway is now in Hatteras (home port is Point Pleasant,NJ) as I will be fishing for Bluefins this winter. Please feel free to call me if you have any questions about these great boats 201-303-5231:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I didn't have the large fish box. If it did I probly would have never let her go. When I bought mine it had a large fuel bladder under the back deck because the previous owners ran the boat from Mass to Fla. a lot and I found paperwork behind a cabinet I removed that showed the boat was in the Bahammas and at some point traveled through the Panama canel to the west coast all the way to Baha Ca. and back. If she could only talk she would have had some stories to tell. Now you guy's got me thinking of dumping the Henriques and getting another one. Dam I'm never satisfied.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Great boats. As others have said, they are somewhat wet and have their challenges in a following sea, but nothing too out of the ordinary. I have fished on several from the Harris models from the 1970s to the later year Runaways and they are one of the best head sea boats under 40 feet.

I almost bought one back in 1991. The late Greg Beacher's Runaway (of DAWN fame - Fish the Chair if you Dare) is at my dock and I have fished next to that boat in the Hudson in solid 8-10's overnight and during a long ride home. These boats are tanks and a lot of today's express fishermen owe a lot to their design.

If you are serious about a canyon express under 40 feet they are absolutely worth considering. A longtime favorite of many of the canyon devotees from north Jersey and Long Island. Two of the best giant fishermen of the 80's fished them - Bob Pisano on Tuna Hunter and Greg Beacher on the DAWN - that should say enough. Many are still used as charter boats today - Last Lady in Belmar and Hello Dolly in Point Pleasant are 2 examples. Fished on the Last Lady a few weeks ago in 3-5's for blackfish and the boat was a pleasure in the slop.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts