BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to spool a new reel I recently purchased that's rated for 6-12# to be used in the back. I do use braid when I'm deep water fishing; however, is there really an advantage to using braid in the back considering the water depths or would mono work just as well. I Just wanted to get some opinions.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I'll go as low as 10lb braid for weakfishing in like 6 ft of water. You still do notice a difference in stretch and sensitivity. Plus, 10 lb braid is as thin as I think 4 lb mono, so you can hold with less weight which is nice when you want to use a 1/4 oz bucktail to finicky weakes.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I use PP for heavy weights and Fireline for lighter (Like your situation) weights.

I like both. I have 1 freshwater reel that still has mono. Everything else has made the switch.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Can't beat it for back bay fluking with bucktails and also jigging for weakies. I luv the stuff. Just tie a uni to uni to attach your flouro leader.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I guess I never factored into the equation that I would mostly be using bucktails and the braid would allow me to use lighter jigs. I have about 100 yards of 30# braid left over from spooling up from last year. Would you consider that too much for the back?

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I use braid for almost ALL applications except for jetties or fishing somewhere I know there is alot of underwater hazzards like bulkheads, trees, etc. The lighter the gear the better in almost every situation is my motto.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey JoeD, I spooiled almost alll my reels with braid except for 2 very light rod set ups. I think you will be happy. I heard some lecturers on fluke say that they spoiled PP red and they had problems. They were always snagging up. They respoiled them and that semed to solved their proplem.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Braid will cast much further.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I feel blind with braid. I know alot of people still like mono for light tackle and weakfishing but I can feel a 1/4 jig much better with 10# braid versus 8# mono. And weakfishing is all about setting the drag right and using a leader. I lose just as few as I lost with mono and its usually when I have to try and keep them away from something.

RyanF

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Joe - once you use braid in the back you will never use mono again. It really helps you feel every bump and tug when jigging for flounder or weakies and is a must have in my opinion.

I started out using 30 lb PP in the back but now I use 15 lb PP and works good. I think you could go down to 10 lb and still be fine but 15 lb will work:)

Now do yourself a favor and load up on gulps, shoot me an e-mail - I have some info for you;)

John

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Go with braid. If I didn't have to go type something nasty about BIGGESTJACK I'd sit here and give you a ton of reasons why. Amazing how many times BIGGEST and ton are in the same sentence.:D

·
Registered
815 Posts
Joe D. said:
Thanks for the replies. I guess I never factored into the equation that I would mostly be using bucktails and the braid would allow me to use lighter jigs. I have about 100 yards of 30# braid left over from spooling up from last year. Would you consider that too much for the back?
Sounds a little heavy for the back...I would go with 10lb or 15lb braid.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again everyone for all your feedback. I use Suffix for my deep water set-up and like it so I'll see if they have something within the range of 12-15# braid.

John, I'll shoot you an email tomorrow from work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts