BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bass my Azz off, and am new to this site.

This post in no way is a thread to tell people what and where to do things. However the action I will describe in my in this post blows my mind.

Realizing most of you guys fish the central to Southern part of the State(my old stomping grounds). Need your honest outside opinion on an issue that has recently risen in the Sandy hook area.

:confused:

There is a formerly sacred bass fishing area at the Tip of Sandy Hook known as "THE RIP" (most of you know it I am sure). It is easily identified, and unlike the Cape may area rips, is small well defined and all alone in its class. Keep this in mind "THE RIP" is an area approximately 200 yards long, it makes the connection between the Sandy Hook and Raritan Bay with the Atlantic Ocean. The current does exactly what the name implies, add wind and you have potential disaster for those ill prepared.

This area is no secret, get a bunch of good guys together you can fish as many boats as you want sucessfully. I mean really sucessfully.

:cool:

Fishing in this area has evolved through many stages, and most practices during its evolution are still used today given tide wind and bait situations. Personally I find the area to be one of the most outstanding jigging spots in the Sandy hook and Raritan bays. This area draws a large crowd, and many unexperienced fisherman make mistakes during these busy times and run there boats right over the fish looking to get back in position and catch another. Thats fine there intentions are good, and a friendly chat will usaully be comprehended and all involved benefit.

Tactics, I mentiond jigging great stuff in The Rip area, baiting on the drift works awesome. Trolling is the historic method. Chunking, and the chunkers are latest kids to hit the scene. Blooming in the last 10 years chunkers congregate around the bay, catching loads of Bass. Its awesome there is a Party , and 6 pack fleet thriving off this method of fishing.

Here's the Beef. Party Boats and 6 Packs have decided The Rip is an ok place to chunk (this is a brand new disgrace to the formerly sacred ground). Here are the reasons its not an ok place to anchor.

:mad:

#1 - Safety. The place RIPS. Party, and 6 Packs (the Pied Pipers of chunking) set an example that is absolutely irresponsible. If this practic continues, mark my word tragedy will strike in this spot. Nasty scenerio worded by a friend - Newbie to fishing in his brand new 28 foot dual engine boat has fished 2 times in rip drifting. Starts his drift looks back hey that party boat is anchored ! Panics, guns brand new stainless props, hits anchor line cuts it. Party boat adrift in 8 knot current into boats anchored behind him rolls a couple 16 foot aluminums. Party boat Captain panics gunns his engines !! Thats a mild one.

#2 - Dad will be pissed - Most of these guys Fathers would kill them if they knew they were anchoring in the RIP. It is something we all know you just do not do!!

#3 - No respect - These guys do not give a damn about other fisherman. The knoll produces similar more user friendly results and is about 12 miles square.

#4 - The Big one - The big one is history in that current. Why would anyone want to reel in a bass against a 8 knot current ?

#4.5 - How many lines can a party boat fish in this scene ?

#5 - Black List - Your name is on the list if you have anchored there !!

I know, long winded post but guys this really hits home. This heats me up almost as much *** "THE KILLERS".

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Wow, I almost left this one alone, cause it reeks of a troll for sure. Nevertheless, I'd be happy to respond to your post.

First, while I can fully appreciate the way you think this area should be fished, last time I checked it didn't belong to you, or anyone else that fishes it. Last time I checked it belonged to everyone, who have the right to fish as they see fit, so long as they obey the laws naturally.

#1 - So becuse some numb nuts might panic when drifting towards an anchored boat (let's stretch this scenario a bit further shall we?) the professionals should never anchor there. Perhaps we should stop fishing the canyons, someone in a little boat might follow us out where they shouldn't go in a small boat. Perhaps we should not sail in inclement weather, someone might follow us out in a boat that cannot handle it. Perhaps..... nevermind, I think I made my point.

#2 - OK, so now your psychic powers have exceeded my own, I could not read their father's minds (particularly the dead ones) :rolleyes:

#3 - So now you have expanded your mental prowess to include the operators of the vessels as well. The amazing Kreskin would be green with envy.

#4 - Oh I don't know, perhaps to bring the fish in? Are these really questions pertinent to the concept of an anchor unfriendly area (according to you) or simply you pissing about someone doing something you do not like?

#4.5 - I would say roughly the number they can fit, but I could be wrong!

#5 - Ooohhhh, scary stuff. You wouldn't be a fan of McCarthyism would you?

Damn, the number of whiners seems to grow exponentially each year.

Were this simply a post of say "gentlemen, I am getting concerned about the number of boats anchoring in this area. In my opinion it could be dangerous, and is somewhat inconsiderate to the people fishing this area, and the history of how this area is fished. Do you think so as well and should we reach out to those people to see what we can do about it?" then I would have nothing to say negative at all.

Instead we have what you posted above.

Ahh well, I'm sure the posts will be fast and furious in response, but I speak the truth as I see it, and the above post in my own opinion is hardly worth the response, I was bored.

Have at it gentlemen,

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
LOL Sounds like chumstain went up north and started the whole drift verse anchor thing all over again ;) only this time he was the one anchoring....LOL

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
Originally posted by fishinphanatic12:
LOL Sounds like chumstain went up north and started the whole drift verse anchor thing all over again ;) only this time he was the one anchoring....LOL
I am glad Capt TB got this one first. :D

I think all center consoles and outboard boats should be banned. :D
If you can't fit a comfy couch in the salon you should go to the canyon either.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
THIS IS DIFFICULT BECAUSE IT IS A SACRED AREA FOR THE SCRED BASS.IF IT WAS FOR THE SEWER TROUT YOU WOULD BE ALLOWED TO ANCHOR ON EVEN DAYS BUT BECAUSE IT IS FOR THE SPECIAL FISH THAT YOU MUST DRIFT FOR YOU CAN ONLY ANCHOR IF YOU DO NOT USE CLAMS AND BETWEEN MIDNIGHT AND 4AM UNLESS YOUR PARENTS ARE ALIVE.CAPT.TB CAN'T POSSIBLY MEAN RIPS BELONG TO EVERYONE.IF I ANCHOR ON MIDDLE SHOAL THERE CAN BE NO BOATS WITHIN A HALF MILE OR I MUST HAVE BEEN CIRCUMSIZED BEFORE I WAS 5.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Biggestjack, that would only apply if you had been circumsized on an even numbered day of the month, and were fishing on an odd day. Otherwise the price of butter in August would have to be 2% above the prime, otherwise ownership rights would fall to those born during a leap year.

Hope that clears things up for everyone :D

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CaptTB my pleasure to bore you. Defending anchoring in the RIP ? Shame on you! Your boat is named ?

I knew this thread would bring various responses. Funny thing is we never have to defend our actions when fishing. Seems respect and wisdom are things of the past. Your post contains neither of the previous mentioned fishing secrets. The RIP is not the Canyon or the knoll or Roamer or Cap May. The RIP is the RIP.

My point is as stated not to tell people how or were to fish. It was simply to make people aware of how dangerous and inconsiderate anchoring in the rip is. Small area ripping current no winner at anchor is the bottom line. You know it, I know it, we all know it, defending it summizes guilt.

My Father is dead, I try not to make him roll in his grave.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Dusky,
I know what you're saying. However, they heve been achoring up in the rips for years. It's a tried and true method of fishing. Almost more-so than jigging. And why knock the 6 pack guys? They are doing what's best for their charter and it's not like they are anchoring up in the channel.

Now for the big question. What the hell are you doing jigging for bass in the rip when there are 20# to 50#'s bass being caught on live, dead, and chunked bunker all over on the oceanside? I don't mean to sound rude but come on. I'm out there a few times week. And I almost never fish the rips. Too much traffic, garbage fish and once the tide gets moving the drift lasts about 30 seconds. There are so many other spots in the bay that produce as good, if not better.

Feel free to pm me. I will help you out.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think its rude but there is nothing you can do about it????? Maybe?????? You need to be rude back and accidently land some plugs on there heads or drift by close enough to whisper at eachother, accidently cross line, bring fireworks, loud radio. And if you can't beatum - joinum.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Originally posted by CaptTB:
Were this simply a post of say "gentlemen, I am getting concerned about the number of boats anchoring in this area. In my opinion it could be dangerous, and is somewhat inconsiderate to the people fishing this area, and the history of how this area is fished. Do you think so as well and should we reach out to those people to see what we can do about it?" then I would have nothing to say negative at all.

Instead we have what you posted above.
Well, apparently you don't read very well. First off, my comment I quoted above made my point of my entire post. It's ain't what ya say so much as how ya say it, and you said it poorly, in my opinion.

Second, if you look in the signature of my post you'll see exactly what one of my family's boats name is.

Shame on me, oh please :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
Capt TB what the hell do you know about butter prices anyway and I was circumsized from 11:55 till 12:01 so I am confused about where I stand so I anchor when all drift and drift when all anchor :D BANANAS FOREVER

I think fluorocarbon should be outlawed because it goes with chunkin and chummin IT INCREASES YOUR CATCHES

You know what else there TB guy when your family know enough about fishin and respect of tactics you too will become a successful business man :D
Anyone can make a website and show all that equipment. :D ;)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK,OK I get it!

To bed with this post.

CaptTB your the best!

Off to my reading class, then I will attend my anger management session.

Thanks for the response guys.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
DUSKY--KNEW YOU WOULD COME AROUND. DON'T TELL TB
HE IS THE BEST WE WANT HIM TO KEEP WORKING ON OUR BEHALF. WE SHOULD ALL BE THANKFULL FOR ALL THE GOOD PEOPLE WHO WORK ON OUR BEHALF,AND CAPT.TB IS AS GOOD AS ANY WE GOT.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.