BASS BARN banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
90 % of the fishing I do is in the Barnegat Bay, I have a hummungbird fishfinder model 220dx, went out in the ocean end of last year on a not so nice day and took a pounding. On the way back in I'm no longer reading any depth, back to the dock and go to check the transducer and its gone:eek: . I'm considering buying a GPS w/fishfinder combo or if I can get my hands on a new transducer , I would just buy the chartplotter and use my old fishfinder. Anyone know of a place to purchase the transducer, I did some checking yesterday , but couldn't find the model that I have now(8 yrs old) So what are the pros and cons of the GPS plotter/finder combo.?
Thanks in advance.:cool:

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Having a gps is priceless. You can mark all the shortcuts in the back to avoid no-wake zones. You can plot the safe way out the inlet. and you obviously can mark all your good lumps and holes where you have caught fish in the past. A friend can even call you at night and give you the numbers where he caught today so you can go there tommorrow.
I prefer seperate units. I only have a 21 foot but I like the idea if one goes down I dont loose both during repairs and if I want to upgradeone Im not upgrading both.
I also prefer a shoot through the hull transducer from airmar. You do loose temp and need to add a temp guage seperatly if thats important to you.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
barrell said:
Having a gps is priceless. You can mark all the shortcuts in the back to avoid no-wake zones. You can plot the safe way out the inlet. and you obviously can mark all your good lumps and holes where you have caught fish in the past. A friend can even call you at night and give you the numbers where he caught today so you can go there tommorrow.
I prefer seperate units. I only have a 21 foot but I like the idea if one goes down I dont loose both during repairs and if I want to upgradeone Im not upgrading both.
I also prefer a shoot through the hull transducer from airmar. You do loose temp and need to add a temp guage seperatly if thats important to you.
Thanks for the feedback, found a transducer for my current FF.:) Now just have to decide on which GPS to get. Looking at a Garmin, will make up my mind this week so the boat can go in next week.:cool:

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
i bought a garmin 498 ff/gps combo for my 17....heard from many different people that it is a great little unit especially if you have limited space on the console

1 - 4 of 4 Posts