BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got boat want to order thermostats. How do you know if the motor is a 2.5l or a 3.0l, 2004 200hp. 0T973851

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just got boat want to order thermostats. How do you know if the motor is a 2.5l or a 3.0l, 2004 200hp. 0T973851
Hey J,

According to Marinepartsplus.com your serial # falls into the 3.0L motor.

Mercury Model 200 DFI 3.0L OPTIMAX

Choose Your Serial Number

1B912786 & Up
0T801000 THRU 1B417701
1B417702 THRU 1B504988
1B504989 THRU 1B912785

If you're in the Cape May Area call Cape Harbor Marine, 609-889-0911 Katy will hook you up, or in the Philly area call Philadelphia Boat Supply, 215-332-5117.

·
Registered
578 Posts
and they cost about 100.00 apiece for the stainless ones, you'll need 2... or 4 for twins,, how do you know you need them?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies. I am not sure I do need them. Opti's are new to me one motor gets up to 130 plus at idle the other only gets up to like 96 at idle after six minutes. Not sure which one really needs it if either. Have not been able to run the boat to see what it is running at underway. Dealing with a oil problem first. When I crack the motor oil tank the oil does not over flow. I checked the fittings and made sure boat tank caps were tight. Going to blow out oil line tomorrow and change the little in line filter. If that don't work I will start on the air line coming from the crankcase.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thank you for the replies. I am not sure I do need them. Opti's are new to me one motor gets up to 130 plus at idle the other only gets up to like 96 at idle after six minutes. Not sure which one really needs it if either. Have not been able to run the boat to see what it is running at underway. Dealing with a oil problem first. When I crack the motor oil tank the oil does not over flow. I checked the fittings and made sure boat tank caps were tight. Going to blow out oil line tomorrow and change the little in line filter. If that don't work I will start on the air line coming from the crankcase.
i had had a problem with one of my 200HP Optimax's a few years ago, in which the smart gauges were beeping and would nt let the engine throttle up. I was told that there is a sensor that is a part of the reserve oil container attached to the engine. When this sensor goes you have to replace the whole bottle. Well I did and my problem was solved.

Also, when you do eventually tackle the thermostats, make sure to ask if your motors need new covers with the new thermostats. I recently inquired about thermostats for my 2001's, I was told that the new stats have been modified, and I needed to get new covers or the new stats wouldn't fit. They sell a kit that includes everything(cover, stat,gasket).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts