BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
12 hardcore fishermen from RI, NY, NJ and PA came down to the Oregon Inlet Fishing Center on Saturday(02-20) driving 9 - 12 hours all night.
We had the same goal in mind: catching bluefin on jigs and poppers.
Due to low tide condition, we had to wait until 6:00 am. Good news was bluefin were located bluefin in between Oregon Inlet. NC and Hatteras, NC on Friday.
When we got to the fishing ground, which is about 40 miles Southeast of Oregon Inlet, we saw about 20 boats trolling and a few boats were fighting. Capt Greg said he marked tuna heavily and asked us to drop jigs. But no taker. @( We tried here and there in the morning, but we couldn't get any hit on jigs. I started to concern we might get skunked because they usualy bites early in the moring and shut off bites until late in the afternoon. All fleet were quiet after flurry of bites early in the morning.
When tide slowed down considerably early in the afternoon, I had a nice hit on my 320g Labo jig while jigging with Japanese style jerk/crank technique. I knew it was a nice bluefin finally as it felt heavy. However I lost the tuna because brand new Varivas Avani PE8, which has 112 lbs breaking point, got broken. 8* The line must be damaged or I might pushed the drag lever to the full by accident.
Within 5 minutes after I lost it, Machael who fished next to me, has a solid hit after he missed one. Judging by taking lines off his JM PE8 reel on 25 lbs drag, I knew this was the right size tuna we were waiting for. After fighting 30 minutes, Machael couldn't take the punishment anymore and gave the rod to me. But whenever I a rod, my misfortune continued. Within 30 yards from the boat, the 100 lbs leader line got broken without any apparent reason when the big tuna charged.
Soon after, John had a nice bluefin on his spinner, but he lost as his knot failed.
We were 0 for three. :x
Michael fighting a nice tuna.
He used Sevenseas TunaMania/JM PE8 and 180g Labo jig.

my unorthodox fighting style.

---------------------------

www.jignpop.com

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Soon after, it seemed tuna hit anything moving for a while. However the sizes of tuna were considerablly smaller in 50 - 70 lbs range.
Yong, William and myself fighting tuna. I specifically asked Capt to allow us fishing even one fishermen fighting tuna. Untangling lines when crossed is not difficult and it happens so many times that bites are done after one fights a tuna for a long time.

Yong fighting tuna with a spinning reel.

------------------------

www.jignpop.com

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

Oregon Inlet Marina

Tackles
This is the first time in my 30 years charter arrangement that we had more spinning gears than conventional gears. Time is changing. :)
StellaSW dominated. It shows how popular StellaSW in the US. There were only two brand conventional reels on the boat. Ocean Mark's Blue Heaven and JM PE reels.

-----------------------------

www.jignpop.com

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

Black Hole 450g Conventional rod, SevenSeas TunaMania rod, 350g Black Hole spinning rod, Hots One Pitch Slider 56XH, OR 10 Thousand rods were used.
As I expected Labo 180g - 320g, Sevenseas 220g Hooker jigs/250g Revolver jigs were hot jigs.
Nice time at Red Drum restaurant nearby after fishing.

I heard the Outrigger had similar trip as we did.
Matt's group(4), Max and Bret fished on the boat. Bret will post the report of the boat.

-----------------------

www.jignpop.com

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great pics! Hope those fish are here this summer! Are they fishing lumps down there like we do here?
We encoutered many smaller fish in 50 - 70 lbs range which we didn't see there last year. It is a good sign to see smaller tuina.

They move around unlike lump fishing here. The key is to locate the body of tuna. In fact, the body of tuna moved south from last week and it is closer to Hatteras than from Oregon Inlet now.

------------------

www.jignpop.com

·
Registered
13,178 Posts
We encoutered many smaller fish in 50 - 70 lbs range which we didn't see there last year. It is a good sign to see smaller tuina.

They move around unlike lump fishing here. The key is to locate the body of tuna. In fact, the body of tuna moved south from last week and it is closer to Hatteras than from Oregon Inlet now.

------------------

[URL="http://www.jignpop.com"]www.jignpop.com[/URL]
got ya. Yeah that is a good sign. Sounds like a mx down there from what I'm hearing. We could have an insane summer coming up! What are they eating? Sandeels or sea herring?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice Kil!!!!

Are you going to have some of that stuff at the Seminar on Saturday????
Yes, I am going to share my experiences with other fishermen at the jigging sessions of Long Island Canyon Runner Seminars this weekend. :)
Jigging and popping are evolving. I stll learn something on every tuna trip.
Guys spinners landed tuna as fast as heavy conventional rod users.
It recomfirms my belief that light drag kills you whatever reels you use.

----------------------------------

www.jignpop.com

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kill, talked with my buddy who was there yesterday as well. Said he may have been a bit more south of you. Most fish were near the 150lb class. Only about 15 miles off the beach:D

He also blew up a 18000 Saragosa.
I think we fished same general areas. We saw some 150 bls bluefin caught by boats trolling. We lost three bluefin which I suspect in 150 albs range. But later on in the afternoon, big body of smaller bluefin moved into the area.
It seems main body of bluefin moved south toward Hattera.
I might go out of Hatteras on my next trip.

--------------------------

www.jignpop.com

·
Registered
13,178 Posts
I think we fished same general areas. We saw some 150 bls bluefin caught by boats trolling. We lost three bluefin which I suspect in 150 albs range. But later on in the afternoon, big body of smaller bluefin moved into the area.
It seems main body of bluefin moved south toward Hattera.
I might go out of Hatteras on my next trip.

--------------------------

www.jignpop.com
That is were he fished out of. Like you said, he heard they are saying the main body moved south.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kil, sorry I couldn't make this one.. Keep me in mind on the next trip please!!

Angelo Ruvio
Angelo, Sorry ? I have to say 'thank you' as I had 15 guys who wanted to go. :)

The trip was great, but it is nothing compared to the Royal Star trip on which Greg is having life time experience.

See his recent report.

"It was grease calm today and we had a pick of fish this morning. Then nothing for 6 hours, then as the sun set, the jig bite went off a bit. One of the Thai guys hooked 2 nice fish on a jig. Tonight it finally happened, I got the right fish on a jig. I used a FCL 230gm Labo jig on the 350 gm Black Hole, jigging master PE 6 reel with 80lb. JB hollow braid. (There was snickering from the west coast contingent.) The rod handled just fine, even though I tried my best to break it. I high sticked it for all it was worth and it still wouldn't break. Sorry Kil! I landed a 120 lb. yellow fin tuna. 2 casts later I hooked an idential fish, but after a 100 yd run, it spit the hook. Using these barbless hooks its hard to keep the fish buttoned up.

There is still some resistance from the west coast crowd, but they are evn slowly seeing the light with the new tackle.

We still haven't seen the 200 plus cows that Clarion is famous for, much the dismay of the regulars. "

Greg says pics will follow but the video might be disappointing, because when the bite is on, he is fishing.

2/18/10 Quick update, final report to follow

"The bite is really going off today and we are finally on bigger fish. I landed a personal best and trip best yellow fin tuna, 152 cm and 155 lbs. On a Hots Gipang 79XH popping rod and branbus lure (Greg tells me that this is a stickbait?), shamano stella 20000 reel with 80 lb. JB hollow braid. The wind picked up to 15 knots. We were flying a kite bait on the offside. They started blowing out of the kite bait, so I flipped out and immediaty was bit. After that fish, I got 2 bites on my second cast. I went 5/7 on yellow fin. Had 2 - 100 pounders eaten by sharks, landed another fish at 110 and the rest were around 50 lbs."

Note from the wife, Greg said he'd call with the rest of the report tonight and hopes the jigging bite will go off later.

2/18/10 End of day

"Had 2 more bites on on the brabus, but no good hook ups. We had about 80 fish for the day and least 50% in the 120-150 range. The broken rod report from 2 of the Thai guys includes 2 hots 1 pitch sliders, broken under the first guide when a fish ran under the boat. A Shimano blue rose and and orgininal blue rose where the top 3 guides flattented out under heavy drag." Greg said I was to post that this is an unbiased report as to what happened with the gear.

2/19/10 am report (left on my voice mail)

"10:30 am and what a great morning, went 5/7 with one pulled hook and 1 top shot failure. Another fish fell to the brabus lure. 110lbs in 10 minutes. Will call with a full report later."

From the wife - Greg said he already caught 4 or 5 fish with the top shot before it failed, which bugs me because I spent a good part of the winter making those top shots.

2/19/10 end of the day report

"Today was amazing, simply amazing. 4 fish on the Brabus lure, 2 made it to the boat, 2 spit the hook. 1 - 115lb and 1 - 110lb. Went for 7/11 all 100lbs. or better. Had 2 nice fish get sharked too. 1 - 190lb. yellow fin today with most of the fish 100lb or better. Tagged about 63 fish. It was just an absolutely unbelieveable day. It was a pretty great trip over all with 500 fish tagged."

-------------------

www.jignpop.com

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kil......thank you for making this happen. i loved the rod even though i didnt get to put a bend in it. brett and his friend are great guys. i really enjoyed their company. hopefully we can do it again.
It is always pleasure to fish with your group. Yes, Bret and Max are great guy and excellent fishermen.
I read you stopped by a police car three time on the way home. :)
RT 13 is notorious. That is why I opted to drive Rt 95.

------------------------

www.jignpop.com

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.