BASS BARN banner

Orvis BBS Reels

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Capt Buck 
#1 ·
I have two Orvis BBS reels,a BBS IV (9wt) and a BBS V(8wt),thinking that they would be a nice reel for flyfishing the salt, but I've yet to see anyone using these reels in any magazines or on telly. It seems they are always using Billy Pate, Sage,Able,etc., but no Orvis BBS type reels. Did I make an expensive mistake in buying these reels? Are the junk,is the large arbor for line recovery speed a bigger factor than I figured or did I miss something else in my research before buying them? I was trying to keep the initial cost down a bit as I had absolutely no fly gear and wasn't sure if I'd get serious with the long rod, but now there is always a flyrod setup in the buggy or on the boat. I bought on the reputation of the Orvis name thinking how wrong could I go.I am now in the position where I could upgrade a step or two to better reels if it is warranted. Any comments would be appreciated.

#2 ·
You can get away with fishing a $40 Medalist in the salt around here, and I NEVER see anyone advertise them, fresh or saltwater :D . Don't worry if it's not hyped by all the mags or on TV. Orvis probably doesn't sponser them, that's all. If you've got a nice center drag system, that'll be fine. Large arbor reels are nice, but not necessary at all in the NE. Just fill your spool with a lot of backing and you'll have the same retreive ratio as those large arbors.

[ 09-18-2004, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

#3 ·
Capt Buck Not familiar with BBS. I do own 2 Orvis salt water fly reels, both are adequate.(use my Billy,, Able & Tibor more though). Agree with most of what Dave said. I don't feel you need to up-grade now. You indicated you were just beginning. Wait until you KNOW you need something else. Good luck. "doer of neat & nifty things" I like that. Ron

[ 09-18-2004, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: sparse grey ]

#4 ·
Capt Buck,
I work for the Sporting Gentleman in Media, Pa. We are an Orvis store. no bias though, I use plenty of non-orvis equipment. BBS reels are great for the salt. The finish is anodized so it is corossion resistant. The only downside is that the reels are prety light weight so you dont want to go bouncing them off any jetties. Definately dont need a large arbor in this area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.