BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
That flounder looked to be around 17"...Fowl! Fowl! :D

Very interesting to see another way a flounder sits on the bottom: arched from side to side and head tilted up. I always imagine them just laying flat.

Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
678 Posts
very cool video. one big arsed trout he grabbed, wasn't sure he was getting in the air with that one. so how do you get underwater footage of an osprey grabbing a flounder, sit there underwater and hope that an osprey spots the same flounder you're watching???

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Microchip lowjack, this particular osprey was using tom tom gps lowjack flounder locator, same thing Hooker has on his boat. Secret is now out how Hooker catches all those flounder in the summer.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Microchip lowjack, this particular osprey was using tom tom gps lowjack flounder locator, same thing Hooker has on his boat. Secret is now out how Hooker catches all those flounder in the summer.

:thumbsup:....ha....good thing our waters are so dirty, this way the birds cant see fish deaper than 3 inches...

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Years ago in avalon one of my fathers emloyees was driving to our next job and an osprey dropped a 20" flounder on his hood in the middle of town. Lunch was fantastic that day.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The ultimate fisherman. I see them dive bomb fluke in the back bays 2-3 feet deep all the time.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Here at the dock I see more Ospreys with flounder than any other fish. Ospreys know how to hunt for them. Not far from our dock is a shallow flat that goes dry on low tide. As the tide rises the leading edge of the water is always loaded with small baitfish. As the tide rises the flounder are the first fish to try to move in on the bait and sometimes they just go to shallow. I can usually see two Ospreys hovering well above the flat. Flounder make an easy target because they move in short bursts. Once they move the Osprey gets a good location on them and can drop in like a ton of bricks once the flounder stops. Most other fish when near the surface are on the move and make it a little more difficult for the Osprey to hit.

Even if the water is deep flounder still like to cruise the entire water column and will rise to the surface for a shot at schools of shiners and other surface swimming baitfish. Flounder are not the bottom dwellers many of us think.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
The Osprey is a truly remarkable raptor that I feel is under appreciated in the world of ornithology and also amongst bird watchers..:D

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
The Osprey is a truly remarkable raptor that I feel is under appreciated in the world of ornithology and also amongst bird watchers..:D
WOW:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
That flounder's eyes looked like they were going to pop out of his head.

What's up with that? I thought they just looked up. That guy was looking ahead!

·
Registered
22,963 Posts
That was neat. I love the way they shake themselves of water while they fly. They also remind me of the German Stuka when they arch their wings when they dive.

Thanx for the video.:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts