BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spoke to a friend whose wife is a state raptor biologist and he said she expects ospreys to return around the 27th...... That's the best indicator
of the start of the season when you know there is food in the water to
feed them......All that's needed after that is some warmer water.....of course a longer season would help too..

·
Registered
20,307 Posts
Ray, I live by the bay and they generally start to show up in the next couple of weeks. Heard a report the other day saying the stock is stonger then its been since the early sixties (pre ddt) and atlantic, Cape may and Salem counties have cthe storngest populations in the state and possibly in the country. Not uncommon to see them flying over with a flounder ( I assume they are winter flounder) this time of year. Haven't seen any activity at any of the nest poles but have seen some strong schools of spearing, some minnows and the grass shrimp catches have been execllant. With the warm waters we have experienced this year, I would not be suprised to see them sooner.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I often see them by St Paddys day, but there was one in the marsh near an old nest in Bayville yesterday. Between Bay ave and Butler on Bayview ave. I'm not sure if he will stay. MartyD

·
Registered
839 Posts
on a side note/Eagles

HOWELL — Park naturalists reported sightings of two eagle chicks in their nest at the
Manasquan Reservoir, according to Monmouth County Park System officials, who said the eagle parents and chicks can be viewed remotely on a TV screen set up in the park's Environmental Center on Georgia Tavern Road.

The site's bald eagle pair broke a record this year by laying New Jersey's earliest recorded eggs on Jan. 11, when the parents were first observed sitting on the nest. The first chick was observed on Feb. 17, and the second chick was observed on Monday.

The Environmental Center is open every day from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. (until 8:30 p.m. on Fridays). For more information visit the Monmouth County Park System Web site
(www.monmouthcountyparks.com).

Park staff are on hand at the Environmental Center to answer questions about the eagles and other local wildlife. The site also features a five-mile walking and exercise loop around the reservoir.

this is a good thing,,from the brink and back again,,sorta like fluke,,another story,,ouch

·
Registered
7,076 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
They're here.

I live right on the bay in Somers Point. i've seen 3 fish hawks already this week.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I see them flying by quite a bit in the summer with a bunker in their grip and according to posts on here there is bunker around.

villasbill

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
We have 2 on the lake. They stayed all winter this year.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ospreys Return

As I mentioned when I started this...my friends' wife works for the state as a raptor biologist......I live on Hoffman's canal in North Wildwood....
Early last spring she arrived with a crew and they erected a nesting platform out on the meadow, directly across from my dock......After about 10 days a pair of ospreys adopted the platform and began building a nest.....With the aid of binoculars and telescope we got to watch the whole thing...from nest building.egg laying,hatching and rearing....It seemed like they were only three feet from our kitchen window......

One weekend when the three chicks were about three weeks old my friends' wife stopped by...She asked if I would transport her across the canal so that she could band the chicks....I carried her, my next door neighbor, my son , two young grandkids and a 12 ft ladder across to the nesting platform......The parents were circling right overhead and calling to the chicks.....she said they were telling them to play 'dead'....and they certainly did.....She went up the ladder and carried one down at a time...
They were like dish rags...totally limp, heads hanging down and not moving a muscle...My neighbor held each one while she banded it and then she carried them back up to the nest....she placed them side by side with their heads all facing toward the ladder...When she was finished my son climbed up and took a picture from about 30 inches.....still no movement by the chicks....We gathered everything up and returned back to my dock....Only then did the parents land on the platform...One had been holding a 10 inch fish in it's tallons the whole time while circling above us....As soon as they landed three heads popped up and it was chow time.....We took lots of pictures and my grandkids who were in first and second grade had a ball on "show and tell" day at school...What the heck, it's not many kids who can say they held and petted a live osprey.....I guess not many adults either for that matter....

This got rather long winded....I'm sorry

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Great Story.

This got rather long winded....I'm sorry
Nothing to be sorry about Ray. That was a nice story. I remember riding to the shore as a kid in the early 60's and my Dad pointing out an osprey nest and telling me that the birds were about to go extinct. So their comeback is a real success story. I still get excited when I see one. My kids think I'm wierd to get excited about seeing a bird.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
They have been on the refuge here in Oceanville for the past week....Saw one this morning flying over my store which is next to the refuge on rt9...also some bald eagles have been seen almost daily here...

Joe R

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Camo,
Banding ospreys is a pretty cool experience. I used to do it a lot at my last job. Just watch when the adults from other nearby nests start ganging up on you. I've seen them get way too close for comfort. Osprey talons aren't blunt objects... :eek: It's best to do a quick hit and run operation. Staying too long is a bad thing, both for you and the birds.

·
Registered
20,307 Posts

·
Registered
25,287 Posts
I remember reading that the Osprey is Irish, that is they show up on or around 3/17.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
When ospreys return, look for herring. Usually within the same week.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
CamoRay said:
As I mentioned when I started this...my friends' wife works for the state as a raptor biologist......I live on Hoffman's canal in North Wildwood....

Ray, I was over in your yard yesterday..the Osprey have not returned as of yet...just one bil ole herring gull sitting on the box...but he'll move on as soon as they return...I see the boat is back....when are you coming down...Ill be home thru the weekend but am headed north on mon & Tue...:D

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Past couple of years, the birds in my area started to show in the 3rd week. From the barn I've noticed reports of early birds to our north, but behind the 7 mile island it seems to be the third week. It's like you see one and the next day all the nests are filled. Love these birds and can't wait to see them.:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Osprey tallons

Fly-Ty-R

Second the motion on those tallons being sharp.....Those on the three
week old chicks were already almost fully developed and it looked like even they could really put a hurtin on ya.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts