BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
driving over the 147 causeway coming out of NWW, the osprey have returned to the nest stand along the south side of 147...saw them this afternoon on my way to work....Ill be watching the box across the street from me everyday now...:D

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
The 25th.....

Saw my favorite two, and also saw the two are back in the nest on Avalon blvd. to the right as your coming in. Just made them a new perch, now gotta go hook them up.:)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Cool that they're using the stands. Ocean County built a bunch of them, but the county engineer once told me that they seem to prefer channel markers in Barnegat Bay. :D

I think he said they seem to prefer a model with a certain number of legs supporting it, so the county switched the design for all of the new ones. Picky guys, aren't they? :p

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
rr331 said:
are they really the same birds? If they are that is so cool
Not really sure? Guess I would have to maybe take some pics this year and maybe go threw the old file to see if I have any close ups of last year or the year before, and compare? For some reason I feel like I read somewhere they do, and that each year they come back they build there nest a little bigger. I think I remember the book saying in the old days they would build there nests in trees and the nest after so many years would get so big the tree would fall over..?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there was a documentary on the Osprey last year on Discovery or one of those channels. They followed the birds migration to S. America...they said the birds mate for life and return to the same nesting sites each year....pretty cool...:D

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Yes, the same birds use the same nests each year. Common trait of all raptors, from tiny kestrels to huge eagles. The only times they'll move is if the nest platform (tree, pole, pre-formed nest, etc) is damaged, or if one of the mates dies (not always, though). Pre-established pairs typically nest first, but the unpaired young birds jump from area to area trying to find a mate. That is how established pairs always get dibs on the same nesting site year after year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts