BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The markers are almost all missing and getting back in from fishing during lowtide is an experience. Anyone know when they will have these markers fixed? I reported the problem to the coast guard but could only leave a message

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Im not sure who is responsible to fix em...becreful as several of the markers are laying over and are partially submerged...if hit at any speed they will act like spears...not to mention the 3,000,000 crab pots...im not lookin forward to navigating the channel after dark....

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I pulled one of the markers out this afternoon, it was laying at a 90 degree angle and just waiting for someone to hit that thing, what is with all those crab pots they are everywhere out there, it seems like such a hazzard why not put those thisngs way out of the channel so that no one will get caught up in them

·
Registered
93 Posts
"Aids to Navigation" is responsible. Phone #(609)693-9534. Please call them, I don't want to be the only pest!

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Are these the markers comming out of Hoffman's Canal, north of the old trainbridge? If so. they're privately maintained. Think the owner of Canalside boat rentals always put 'em in. The place was up for sale over the winter...and the winter ice was bad.

If your talking north of the George Redding Bridge, past the Wharf Restaurant into the sound by West Wildwood/Wildwood, those bouys have always been a line of crab pots, with a State no wake bouy for the marina/fuel dock.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The man that owns canalside is Mike Lanza, i have known him for years. i will give him a call, but i dont think that he is the one that has been putting them in. I do believe that the channel needs to be dreddged a little. The depth was 5.6 at high tide. A ton of boats use that channel to get out, all the boats that dock from 5th street to 18th use that channel to get out (thats atleast 200 boats not including the boats that use the NW ramps, any one know if there is a way to put some smoke under these peoples butts to get this work done? if not its gonna be a lot of damage done to our boats

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
VERSE---ON THE TOPIC spot YOU HAVE OTTENS HARBOR YOU MEAN 18TH ST. CANAL.THAT IS AS MUCH A NATURAL CHANNELL AS THERE IS COMMING OUT OF THERE I DON'T REMEMBER THAT EVER BEING DREDGED.AT LOW TIDE BOATS USING IT KEEP IT OPEN SOMEWHAT.MOONTIDES AND BLOWOUT MAKE IT HARD FOR ANY BOAT AND IMPOSSIBLE FOR LARGER ONES. ITS SIMILAR TO WEST WILDWOOD EXCEPT WWW ALWAYS HAD A NATURAL CHANNRLL THAT LARGER BOATS WHO KNEWHOW TO LINE IT UP WENT OUT AT ALL TIDES.TWO CHARTER BOATS THE DAWN AND THE JUNIOR-F AND THE CAROL-JACK NEVER WORRIED ABOUT TIDE.

[ 06-02-2004, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: BIGGESTJACK ]

·
Registered
44 Posts
It is getting bad back there... :(

I'm not effected by it due to my draft...

But I've dragged two boats off the bars on either side already...

Good thing my skiff is a bit overpowered... :D

The markers that are left are either missing indicators, or almost submerged...

I was shocked not to see them last Friday...!!!

A holiday weekend and no channel markers just adds to the mayhem...

I put my call in, but we'll see what happens...

Muddy

[ 06-02-2004, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: TheMudSkipper ]

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just called the state aids to navigation. All I could leave is a message.
Many many many boats use this cahnnel to get out into the main channel. THESE MARKERS ARE STATE OWNED AND NOT PRIVATLY PLACED.
help is needed to raise a big enough issue so that permanant markers will be placed into this channel and so that it will be dregged. If you use this channel or if you just want to help please call them at 609-693-9534. If the state is willing use raise our registration prices then we should be able to navigate our waterways safely.
Thank you all for your help in this matter

Ps I know that this has been pasoted on another message, but we could use all the help we can get getting this problem fixed and hopefully fixed for good

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Ah, are we talking about the markers on cedar/wooden stakes...??? State maintained??? News to me.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I made the call to the coast guard aids of navigation, he told me that the channel is maintained by the state, and the states responsibility. i called them at 898-6987, he told me to contact the state since it is their responsibilty, maybe I am just getting the run around who knows, but something has to be done for us to safely get out into the channel.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
MY MEMORY COMING OUT OF THERE IS THAT AFTER YOU ARE OUT OF THE CANAL A FEW HUNDRED YARDS IT IS STRAIGHT TO THE ICW. TAKE A 1/2 TO AN HOUR AND AT A SLOW SPEED CHECK YOUR DEPTHS AND COMPASS COURSES AND I'LL BET YOU CAN WORK IT OUT.ITS NOT AS HARD AS GOING FROM SHAWCREST TO THE INLET IN DENSE FOR BY COMPASS.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I fish out of the canal on W. 16th Street...my partner and I were all set to place a few reflectors on the markers so we could find them after dark...(we ran aground twice last yr. after dark, and he has been fishing the area for over 35 yrs)...but to our surprise most were missing in the spring...I have a few State Police contacts..Ill reach out for them and see who is responsible...and maybe if the Troopers report the same condition we can get a few markers put up or repaired...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i have called 4x and have still not gotten a response. this channel is not the easiest to navigate, becuse it doesnt run in a straight line, I have been fortunate to only have run aground once, but see many boats needing to be pulled out of the muck.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Ottens Harbor is well marked with tails , Wait till I start nailing the heads up .

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tails??? man the sticks are gone I dont know what your seeing! maybe I just didnt get the joke

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
VERSE MARTY IS IN OTTENS HARBOR WHICH YOUR TOPIC SAYS.YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT 18TH STREET.THEY ARE SHARK TAILS AND HE HAS CAUGHT A BUNCH.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts