BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now that we've started our Bahamas Fishing season, we will be using this thread to post all of our latest up to date information on what's going on. Realtime reports, split charter opportunities, and other Bahamas Fishing information. If you any questions about Fishing in the Bahamas, just throw them up here and we'll get them answered as best we can for you!

We are fishing OVER UNDER our 54' Bertram this season, in addition to our 45' Cabo later in the Spring. OVER UNDER is currently in the Abacos, fishing out of Treasure Cay and the new Bakers Bay Marina on Guana Cay. In April and May, OU moves down to Cat Island for about 6 weeks of Spring Fishing and remote live-aboard excursions. We will finish up there, trying to repeat our first place win of the Hawks Nest Billfish Blast the 3rd week of May.

When OU leaves for the Southern Bahamas, we will be putting our 45' Cabo in the Abacos from late April through June. Between the Cabo and Bertram, we have a boat available for all legs of the BBC.

Thomas is getting the season started off and Joe Trainor will be heading over once he finishes up Giant Bluefin Fishing. Joe McGivern will also be headed over for us in the Spring when the Cabo heads east.

Tight Lines,

Trey

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Fresh Rum Cay Report

Got this in from Brian out in Rum Cay. He is fishing a 32' Mirage out of Rum Cay Full Time. Thought guys would be interested in hearing what's up out there.

Fished today, yesterday and sat as well as mon last week, today caught a wahoo dolphin and tuna, missed 3 big fish, i think 2 large tuna and one large wahoo, they came off on the bite, yesterday the fish were biting hard for a couple hours in the afternoon caught 3 wahoo 3 dolphin and 3 tuna had at least that many bites had 4 dolphin on at once, missed them all, nolarge dolphin any day. sat cught 50 lb tuna 3 dolphin and 1wahoo and missed a big wahoo it was pretty windy sat and sun but not to much to fish, beautiful today just some rollers. Mon last week samething 2 tuna, 2dolphin not large 2 wahoo and had 80+ lb to boat and spit the hook. too windy rest of the week,

happy new year, Brian

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Nice report, I hope for a chance to get down there this year. I went for the first time last year in feb and it was an unforgetable trip that I hope to repeat every winter!!! Catch em up guys!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
This time of year the weather can be your biggest enemy. Had a John and Brandon out on a trip the other day. We were able to get out trolling for 3/4 o the day and bottom fished in the sea of Abaco. The day we were out trolling there was about a dozen other boats out there. We had a nice Hoo one on, I saw him from the bridge but unfortunately It gave a violent head shake and threw the hook. The end of the first day and the second day we bottom fished. The front may have slowed the bite for bottom fishing but we were able to put something together. Brandon caught a nice Mutton that we had for dinner out on the hook behind Guana Cay.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well had to go to the tipsey turtle last night to get on the internet. Glad I did had a great time as always but ran in to Kevin and Kenny who had a story of there success yesterday. They were out with the boss on a 26' CC who wanted some fish for his friends in town. Well they got their fish alright as the story goes the lines were only wet for about 20 minutes and wham tight. They say it was only about 20 minutes till game over. Well having no where to store such a large fish they threw what ice the had on it and headed in. At the dock the fish bottomed out a 100# spring scale. So they managed to russel up the digital scale here in Treasure Cay an toped out at 106#. Congratulations that is a stud fish and happy to see the goal of a triple digit Wahoo met. Stay tuned for pictures the boys are out fishing again today but I should have them tonight. Also forgot to mention we have a 54' Over Under In treasure.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Wahoo report

There was a two day weather window to get out and go fishing between the fronts this week. Unfortunately OU did not make it out but the report is pretty good. Kevin and Kenny from the “Uncle Buck” went out fishing on the tender, a 26’ everglades CC out of Treasure Cay and put a 106# Hoo on the dock. As the story was told to me lines were wet for only about 20 minutes until it was game on. The fight only lasted about 20 minutes and having nowhere to store such a large fish they decided to head in. Congratulations again guys…a triple digit Wahoo is a real feat.

Hearing of “Uncle Bucks” good fortune the next day I decided to do some tackle work for myself and a friend who will be fishing the Hawks Nest Wahoo Tournament if the weather allows him to travel from Treasure Cay. I decided to go through all my Wahoo Tackle and revisit some of my favorite lures. When I was done putting together a little tournament pack for our friends on “April Fool” I noticed most of my lures were Rays Blue Water Lures. The only exceptions in that trend were a couple of heavy head skirts for bally/combos and another HOO favorite the large Purple and Black YoZuri plugs. The kit that was together consisted of enough lures to last an entire Wahoo season in the Bahamas. Listed below is a good kit to bring out Wahoo fishing.

4 YoZori Plugs (3’ cable leader)
4 Rays Blue Water TB2 (4’ Cable leader)
4 Rays Blue Water Woff (4’ Cable leader)
1 Rays Blue Water jet head w/ rubber skirt bad rig. (4’ Cable Leader)
6 Billy baits skirted heads on wire
4 64oz rigged trolling leads
4 48oz rigged trolling leads
6 25’ shock leaders
20’ spare cable
4 bags of # 12 wire

Depending on what part of the Bahamas you are fishing the number of trolling leads needed could be more or less. Last year I did not lose a single trolling lead to a shark or a Wahoo bite in the Abaco's. The year before based in the out islands we lost at least 10 rigs over the course of the season. Most of that is to blame on the sharks that sit on the edges of Cat and San Sal. Sharks are less of a menace in the Abaco’s.

Captain Thomas Neligon

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big Hoos!

Some big slobs weighed in at Cat Island this week in the Wahoo Tourny. a couple that went 111 and another in the low 120's.... they said it wasn't red hot, but there were certainly some quality fish around.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OU - Bahamas Big Hoo Report

Bahamas Wahoo Report

The Hawks Nest Wahoo Tournament saw some nice fish come to the scales this week. Three fish over 100 pounds hit the dock, with two going 111 pounds and one going 121! Congratulations to the crew of the ZEPHYROS, winning with a total of 345.4 pounds!

After seeing such quality fish caught in the Cat Island Wahoo Tournament we were eager to get out and fish the edge off Guana Cay. OU left the dock at the crack of 10 am to go find some Wahoo yesterday. The reports had been slow, but the wind shift accompanying the weak front that just passed, allowed us venture out with renewed hopes. Right after the lines were in 2 free jumping sails popped up out of the water 100 yards in-shore of us! Really what chance did we have? We had 2 leads attached Yo Zori Plugs down in the water. Never-the-less, we had to go in to the area and take a look right? Oh well, no shot at them and we continued our search for some wahoo action. We went down the line to my favorite area to fish off of Guana. It did not take long to get a bite. The first bite was in 330 feet of water on the weighted down rod. After a brief fight, the Wahoo was gaffed and put on ice! This one weighed around 30 pounds. Quickly we got set back up and had a long rigger bite on a purple and black feather. This one was short lived and threw the hook after about 10 seconds. We decided to troll towards a great deep drop spot and had our third Wahoo bite come tight on the deep rod again. This fish was active. Everyone in the pit did a great job angler, mate and guests. The fish finally came to the boat after some classic head jerking and long runs. This second fish came in around 40 pounds. Our short trip had us back at the dock by 1pm and we decided to grill up some Wahoo for lunch! If you want to get in on the Winter Wahoo Bite, Treasure Cay is offering some incredible bargains on marina front town homes and we can put together the complete package, including airfare!

- Tight Lines,

Capt. Thomas Neligon

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Trey,

I got your email this morning, I am thinking the trip offer over real hard, I would like to visit Treasure for that trip. I will call you discuss.

Thanks!!

Captn Joe

·
Registered
217 Posts
Nassau - A Week in Review

Over Under spent the week in Nassau. The weather broke on Sunday for Over Under to work her way to New Providence Island. Monday was the first day of fishing. It was a perfect day with no seas and no breezes…a day we have grown to somewhat despise. Lack of movement and lazy water make the fish lazy too. We put our time in pounding the edge through the tide change. We had a big ‘ole hoo on just coming off the edge. This fish hit on the center weighted rod and was ripping line. Unfortunately, this story ends in heartache as shortly into the fight the 400# shock leader was cut. The most likely culprit was another Wahoo. Sad to report but that was the excitement of Monday.

Tuesday the wind picked up pushing the water up on the edge. We got to work trying to improve the tally from the day before. We quickly found some black fin tunas and grabbed two out of the school and ventured off of them a bit and found a nice surprise that came tight on the center cedar plug chain. The first yellow fin tuna of the Bahamas season was about 25 pounds. We worked the edge the rest of the day and near the end of the day one of the deep rods went off, then quickly after a surface rod went off. We pulled in two 15 to 20# Wahoo’s. Only about an hour left of the day we decided to blanket the same spot where we had the double header. We worked the area and right when I was about ready to call it the right rigger snapped down. A stud bull hit the billy bait bally hoo combo. Again it was short lived as he was hooked but it was so rough. I watched him from the bridge jump out of the top of the wave and fall off the backside shaking the hook free the entire fall.

We were back at it again on Thursday as we continued to explore the same haunts. We found a couple of black fin and got two Mahi. One was a good size at about 20 pounds. It was a hard fight as the seas were still rough but it calmed down as the day progressed. Over Under received compliments from the customers about how well she handled the seas.

Friday wound up being a half day which is unfortunate. Had I known that I would have left later in the morning to base the fishing around the tides. Unfortunately the only thing to report is a barracuda. Having some free time we cleaned the boat and made some plans for Saturday. Knowing the weather was going to be off and on we decided to go fishing for fun. Chris my mate in Nassau was going kite fishing on a Center Console with live goggle eyes in a spot that can be very productive just inside the edge. My buddy Stan on his 60’ Hat “April Fool” invited me to troll for 3 hours along the edge, but I took the invitation from my buddies from NJ. I decided to go fishing with my good friends from South Jersey who just bought at new/used 64’ Viking. They were sea trialing it during a little family vacation at Atlantis Resort.

Of course I chose the newest, biggest and shiniest rig to hitch a ride on. The plan was the wind was going to switch to the light south on Saturday morning thinking the Pocket would have the best chance for fish. Well, we ran the 30 miles to Jolters Rocks on the south side of the pocket and started our day. The plan being that we would cover some ground getting our bearings Wahoo fishing. There is no shortage of barracuda there! Every time we slipped up on the edge the Barry’s were waiting. We had fun with it as we had two young girls, Madeline age 5 and Lucie age 3. The two girls were quite entertained with all the action. Having enough with that edge we pushed offshore slightly to see about raising a bill or picking up some dolphin. As it goes…no luck. The important thing is the girls had a good time and were well entertained.

Stan on “April Fool” did well for the short time he was out as he had two Wahoo’s. Chris who was kite fishing had two sharks and a King mackerel. He was really hoping for a Sail.
Sunday was the day for departure as we filled Over Under up and started my chug home to the Abaco’s. We’re back now looking forward to some guests coming on Thursday.

Captain Thomas Neligon
Over Under, 54' Bertram

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just got back to the abaco's on sunday passed some nice water around Juarasic Park area looked reall good like water we see mid april. Monday got to the Dock and heard that in that area there was a White Caught. That is the first marlin i have heard of in the Abaco's.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What a week I picked to take vacation over here in the Abacos...lol. Will this winter ever be over?

Anyway...My wife and I, her sister and my brother in law are over here with Thomas cruising around the Abacos for about a week. Well, we did manage to get out for a couple hours the first afternoon we got here. It was real nice out and after loading up the boat in Marsh Harbour, we managed to catch my sister-in-law Jen her first ever saltwater fish. After boating a few blackfin, Thomas ventured offshore a bit and it looked really promissing. We saw a bunch of bait showers and slicks, but just didn't have enough time... we hit the edge on the way back in and sure enough the deep Yo-Zuri Plug begain to scream and we knew we had a good Hoo on. My wife Joy jumped in the chair and with a good bit of "encouragement" began battle. About 1/4 way through the fight, something seemed off... in the end, the 50 Poundish Hoo, had managed to get foul hookeed and to top it all off, a shark (or two) decided to help themselves to an early dinner. There was plenty of meat left for grilled steaks and wahoo salad though. We pulled into Sea Spray Marina that evening, where we spent 2 nights. The wind came on strong, probably 35-40 for the next day or so and we moved over to Boat Harbour, in the lee and enjoyed the pool facilities. Woke up this morning to some still chilly weather, but the Sun is out and we are off for Guana, hopefully fishing up the edge on our way, before winding up at Nippers later on this afternoon for the Barefoot Man Concert.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Abacos Fishing Report

I’m down here in the Abacos with the boss and his family this week. We were able to get out on Monday afternoon the first day they arrived. We headed out to the South Manowar cut and started on the edge of the curve there. I passed some nice water there on my way back from Nassau last week and have heard good reports from other boats who have been fishing that piece of water. We got in to some blackfins right away. There were a couple nice sized ones that we picked out. Knowing that there should be a break in this area we ventured offshore and found a nice piece of water. Everything looked right as we had a two degree break and saw some nice bait showers. Unfortunately we got there too late in the day so we were unable to give it much time. On the way in we worked the edge towards our destination and were able to find a Wahoo that at some point became foul hooked making it a struggle to get in. And not before a shark helped himself to some of it! We had a great afternoon of it. We ended in Sea Spray Marina on Elbow Cay for the night. Spent two nights on Elbow Cay and went over to Boat Harbor in Marsh Harbor for another two days. Friday we quickly trolled the edge at slack tide with no luck but again we had limited time to fish because “Bare Foot Man” was at Nippers on Friday.

We’re looking to get out on Monday afternoon. We have a busy couple of weeks coming up and I’m looking forward to doing some fishing with friends coming in from the Avalon, NJ area.

Captain Thomas Neligon

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Hey Trey,

just ran into to Capt Joe Trainor in Avalon on Sat. It was a fisherman's reunion at the Circle. John Raimaondo was back in town from ISLA too.
It was a kick to see the guys, and know our season is getting here slowly but surely.

Capt. Joe said he was on his way down there to fish the Bertram. Made me jealous! good luck and send us some sunny - warm reports of fish.

Captn Joe

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Abacos Report

I had the opportunity to spend the last couple weeks on the OVER UNDER, our 54' Betram, moving about the Abacos with Capt. Thomas, friends, family, and some customers from Avalon, NJ. We continue to be hampered by less than optimal weather in the Bahamas and S. Florida, which has been somewhat limiting our normal course of activities. The average temperatures in Marsh Harbour for the last couple weeks have been mid 60's and the water temperatures in the Sea of Abaco are hovering right around 70 degrees. On the Atlantic side the water is a cool 72 degrees. Definitely wet suit weather for most, but some folks have toughed it out and enjoyed some good snorkeling and lobstering.

Over the course of about 12 days, our path took us to Marsh Harbour, Elbow Cay, Guana Cay, and Treasure Cay.

We spent a good bit of time in Guana at the new Bakers Bay Club and Marina. It had been about 18 months since I had gotten a good tour of their progress. All I can say is wow. Definitely the nicest marina facility in the Bahamas and probably the US for that matter. The marina village is well on it's way to completion with several town homes built and now available for rent. The private, members only, golf course is mostly playable at this point and should be fully open by this summer. This is definitely a must see for anyone over in the Abacos this Spring and Summer. Of course from Bakers Bay, Nippers is only a short golf cart of boat ride and we had the opportunity to catch the "Barefoot Man" concert one afternoon, followed by an evening at Grabbers.

In Marsh Harbour we ducked into Boat Harbour and the Abaco Beach Resort for a few days to hide from some pretty strong westerly winds. It was probably the best spot in the Abacos to hide from 40 knot westerly winds and we were able to enjoy their great pool and pool bar. Over across at Sea Spray Marina on Elbow Cay, everyone had a chance to explore Hopetown, visit with some friends that live there now, and hit some great restaurants for dinner. From Sea Spray, fishing the point off Elbow Cay is right around the corner and was our most productive area of the trip.

We had a nice Wahoo and some blackfins on our first 3 hour trip there, then the second time out we had more blackfins and pulled off a nice fish (probably another good wahoo) that came and whacked a teaser before hitting the sort rigger and screaming off half a spool on us, before pulling the hook. We also did some deep dropping and found the Yellow Eyes on pretty much every drop. Fishing the last couple days really slowed down, with an entire morning going without a bite on one occasion. The last day we fished, the wind had picked up and was blowing about 25 and we had a couple blackfin bites right out of the gate, and all seemed right for a good morning of fishing. About an hour later we a good bite on the right long and came tight to a nice Wahoo. John Jr. made quick work of the fish and Thomas sank the gaff in the 55 inch hoo. This proved to be our lone good bite of the morning and we headed in around noon to catch a flight out of Treasure Cay later that afternoon. We didn't see any dolphin, which is a bit strange for this time of year. I guess you can chalk that up to the 72 degree water temperatures, below normal air temperatures, and the abundance of NW wind we've had this winter. I was pleased to see it blowing hard out of the South the last day...this is really what we need to get things going, a solid week of strong SE to S winds to bring some warmer water and the masses of dolphin that will show up with it.

While the fishing and the weather certainly haven't been the best of late, we found plenty of other ways to enjoy ourselves. I'm certainly not complaining, nor is anyone else. There really is something for just about everyone here in the Abacos, whether it's cool restaurants and beach bars, snorkeling, scuba diving, fishing, or just chilling at the pool or beach. It was great to be back in the Bahamas and enjoying all that the Islands have to offer.

Tight Lines,

Trey

Townhomes at Bakers Bay on Guana Cay

My wife posing with the "Barefoot Man"

Nice Hoo caught off Guana Cay

1 - 20 of 40 Posts