BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to cancel a charter with some guys Fri. Just didn't make sense to drive them 2hrs. for the conditions we were supposed to have! This weather we been having makes it a hard call sometimes, but i'd rather not do a trip then beat them up. So anyway, I ran out with a friend on his boat to chase some birds out front. Lately, we have seen birds working the beach but not in good numbers. These birds mostly are hitting small bait with only a few fish under them or blues only. I see alot of boats chasing them for nothing. You need a lot of birds in a large area to find what your after, then your on the meat! Thats what we finally found after a lot of searching, and started to put fish in the boat right away. Stripers and big blues mixed in . Had to get the bait down quick to not have the blues jump on. Caught them on clam and metal. Birds didn't stay made up for long, so off we went looking for marks, found some good ones and again put some more blues and stripers in the boat. Don't waste your time chasing a few birds, you need to find either good marks, or a lot of birds working a good size area for any success. After picking up some horn dogs we called it day! Good Fishing!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Great report. I have agree, I find people chasing some gannets diving. But it seems most times you need gannets and gulls to get on the meat. Fishing the marks can work even better.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Good report Paul...Quality ...Bird play is great to find but rare these days ...check out JUJU post (my cuz Gerry will report later 2nite)...we overcame some difficulties to put some in box today..I'm going chunkin next FRi?? will give you a holler

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joe, I'll check it out. I'm going to hit the rips tomorrow early for some quick action, then try to chunk up a couple big ones later. Times running out for me, as I pull the boat the 30th, thats probably when things will get hot. Oh well. Won't be long and I make the trip south for the sails. Talk to ya!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts