BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke to the Sicklerville office of F&G and specifically asked if targeting fish for catch and release out of season is against the law.The answer was we can target any fish out of season as long as it's released.I made this call because everyone I asked seemed to have mixed feelings on the subject.A F&G Officer also told me this in the autumn when I asked about fishing in the back after Dec.31 and targeting stripers.They just want everyone to handle the fish properly and return it to the water in good condition.Has anyone ever heard different from F&G?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Wildwoodblockhead,

The COs in Sicklerville are inland COs and enforce freshwater fish regulations. The Marine regulations don't allow for catch and release of striped bass in the backbays during January and February. The Marine CO Unit located at Nacote Creek would know the marine regs in detail and I know for a fact they will tell you there is no catch and release.

Jeff

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Thanks Jeff,
Not only do alot of fishermen need a break(me)but
the fish do to.............

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spoke to the people at Nacote this morning and they told me there was no law against catch and release out of season.Striped bass in the back was the specific topic I discussed with them and again was told there is not a law against catch and release.They did say that they try to discourage this practice because of the number of fish that may be killed or injured but there was no law against this practice.This was the enforcement division I spoke with.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Its a fine line there,and I think it could go either way based on the situation.So if you want to chance it so be it.
But for this backbay fishermen a Closed Season
means No Fishing For Me...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Did you ask them what would happen if one legally caught and kept bass in the open waters of the ocean and then was checked at the dock (which is in closed waters) by a CO who found one in possession of bass?

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Good Question Capt.Alex.

I always thought that possession was 9-10ths of the law.. So...........

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
CANDY MAN--I HAVE ASKED THAT AND ITS FINE UNLESS YOU STOP AND FISH. ITS HAPPENED MANY TIME THIS YEAR IN SOUTH JERSEY. WITH THE WARM WEATHER THE DESILU,STALKER AND ADAM BOMB HAVE FISHED MANY DAYS AND ARE TRANSPORTING FISH THRU THE BACK TO THERE DOCKS.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by BIGGESTJACK:
CANDY MAN--I HAVE ASKED THAT AND ITS FINE UNLESS YOU STOP AND FISH. ITS HAPPENED MANY TIME THIS YEAR IN SOUTH JERSEY. WITH THE WARM WEATHER THE DESILU,STALKER AND ADAM BOMB HAVE FISHED MANY DAYS AND ARE TRANSPORTING FISH THRU THE BACK TO THERE DOCKS.
Yep, that would be where that fine line comes into play.The CO's would have to be reasonable
to that situation..

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Rob just posted this over in the SB Forum,
Thanks Rob,,,
----------------------------------------------
all this information is described in the
NJ Marine Fisheries Digest http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/digmar.htm

Closed Seasons
No person may take, attempt to take, or have in possession any
striped bass from the following closed waters:
Jan. 1?Feb. 28 ? All waters except the Atlantic Ocean from 0-3
miles offshore. All inlets and bays are delineated from ocean waters
by a Colregs Demarcation line.

April 1?May 31? Delaware River & Bay and their tributaries from
the upstream side of the Calhoun St. bridge downstream to and
including the Salem River and its tributaries.
Non-offset circle hooks are required to reduce striped bass bycatch
mortality while fishing with natural bait during the striped bass
spawning area closure within the Delaware River and its tributaries.
This restriction does not apply to hook sizes smaller than size two.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Wildwoodblockhead,
That is true to the extent in that you are not targeting bass or as in the words of the regulations "attempt to take". If you are fishing for white perch and herring and hook a bass incidentally, then it would be a catch and release situation. I have talked to the COs at Nacote about this numerous times and was told that attempt means you cant be fishing for bass regardless if you are only catching and releasing.

Jeff

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by Longcast:
If you are fishing for white perch and herring and hook a bass incidentally, then it would be a catch and release situation.

Jeff
Yep, like for example I don't think I could get away with fishing for perch or herring with these

·
Registered
771 Posts
Steve,

Great example. Fishing with those would definately suggest that you were targeting bass at this time of year.

Jeff

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I only know what 3 seperate people who work for F&G told me when I asked specifically about targeting striped bass during the closed season.I didn't want to start a debate over it.It is strange that their rules differ from the answers they give to questions posed.We should all go fishing with a lawyer.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
GO fishing , targetr Striped bass ,, get caught ,pay fine
STATE NEEDS THE MONEY

·
Registered
15,740 Posts
Originally posted by Longcast:
Wildwoodblockhead,
That is true to the extent in that you are not targeting bass or as in the words of the regulations "attempt to take". If you are fishing for white perch and herring and hook a bass incidentally, then it would be a catch and release situation. I have talked to the COs at Nacote about this numerous times and was told that attempt means you cant be fishing for bass regardless if you are only catching and releasing.

Jeff
I remember fishing RBC, pluggin' for bass and catching but releasing on January 27 of '99. I believe I was fishing with some joker biologist at the time.
:D :D :D

[ 01-12-2006, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: barnaby ]

1 - 20 of 38 Posts