BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at purchasing a boat with no motor or controls. It is very easy to find motors, but many of them do not have the controls. Can I purchase the controls seperately from the motor:confused: or is it better to get both. This is for a 9.9 or 15hp motor to go on a 16' aluminum boat.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Most 9.9 or 15 HP motors are tiller steering. Thats why most of the ones you see have no controls, its all built in to the tiller arm. Controls are easy to get if the motor is set up for remote steering and controls.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Yes you can purchase the controls seperately but they can get quite expensive new. I would look for a set of used. Remote set-ups on smaller motors are not super common but are out there. What brand of motor are you looking at? Let us know. Capt.Matt

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maritime Matt said:
Yes you can purchase the controls seperately but they can get quite expensive new. I would look for a set of used. Remote set-ups on smaller motors are not super common but are out there. What brand of motor are you looking at? Let us know. Capt.Matt
There is a 9.9 4stroke in the barn sale. The other option is a 15hp motor with a 9.9 cover:cool: Brand wise I don't care...I would prefer a Yamaha but not important.

·
Registered
275 Posts
fishpro28 said:
I am looking at purchasing a boat with no motor or controls. It is very easy to find motors, but many of them do not have the controls. Can I purchase the controls seperately from the motor:confused: or is it better to get both. This is for a 9.9 or 15hp motor to go on a 16' aluminum boat.
As stated it can run some bucks but if the motor is setup for it there should be no problem, we are getting ready to do a 25hp Merc. on a 16ft. boat.

Mike

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
If you purchase a Evinrude or Johnson for a new control box, control cables and wire harness it runs 379.95. We also have used control box and wire harness with a new set of control cables for 200.00..

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
barnaclebillsmarine said:
If you purchase a Evinrude or Johnson for a new control box, control cables and wire harness it runs 379.95. We also have used control box and wire harness with a new set of control cables for 200.00..
That doesn't sound too bad. I thought it would be more. Bill, does E-Tec have a 9.9 or 15? I would assume so, could you PM me some numbers? Thanks

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you convert any tiller motor to remote steering:confused: I know you would have to buy the trottle and stuff, but is this how it works:confused: Bill said he could seel me the cables and throttle, so would any Evenrude or Johnson work:confused: Thanks in advance:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts