BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't normally go out of my way to tout someone's services but just had my covers reconditioned and they look showroom mint. Wasn't sure where i was going to go and have the work done - ended up at a body shop on princeton ave in brick. They said these would be the 100th motors they've done. Paint was matched perfectly, saved a bunch on the decals, can't say enough nice words about them.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We won't be cleaning them anymore w/that abrasive soap.
We will rinse, use a soft soap, chammy dry, wax lightly then buff.

·
Registered
811 Posts
They look gorgeous. Personally I would have a hard time coughing up 1000 though. Me hen I had the Yama's I used a MIT and woody wax soap. Really the only thing that faded were the stickers after a while

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Were those actual Yam Stickers or copies? If Yam, price is fair. Ridiculous what they get for those stickers, or any part for that matter. A little expensive if not, any graphic shop can bang those out for $50.

But they look nice. Want to do mine...but I cringe at the thought of the first sinker making its mark

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
That's a fair price considering a used replacement is over 2k each. I am going to try to paint one myself this year. Have an old 95 or 96 60hp evinrude that is missing half its decals and is heavily oxidized. The motor was never rebuilt and has close to 2000 hours on it I would guess. Right now I am leaning towards just making it black and removing any decals or branding. We will see what happens with the weather this year...I'd rather spend the time on the water.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Forget those Yam factory stickers; paid $150 for a pair of equally good decals. Been wanting to get this done for awhile so now I just have to keep them nice.
Were those actual Yam Stickers or copies? If Yam, price is fair. Ridiculous what they get for those stickers, or any part for that matter. A little expensive if not, any graphic shop can bang those out for $50.

But they look nice. Want to do mine...but I cringe at the thought of the first sinker making its mark

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
they were REALLY bad; cracked from the prior owner and a botch job trying make them nice by this owner. No regret spending the money.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just finished a similar project with two twin Yamaha 2001 200HP HPDI's. I purchased decals on line at about $95 per motor so ~$200 in total. Material including paint, primer, seal coat and wax cost me about 150. I painted the entire motor including lower units so for anyone painting just the covers your material cost should be slightly less. I would say I Helmet Motorcycle helmet Personal protective equipment Headgear Auto part Helmet Motorcycle helmet Personal protective equipment Motorcycle accessories Product Product Storage tank Teleconverter Photography Camera accessory put about 20 to 25 hours into the project, maybe a few more but the motors came out looking like new. The attached pictures don't have the wax yet as everything I read suggested waiting about two weeks after painting to wax. Very happy with the outcome and think it was worth the time spent and investment made.

·
Premium Member
13,508 Posts
I guess I'm cheap because there's no way I'm forking out $1000 to recondition my cover. I'll live with the scuffs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Mark I'm the guy who painted your covers, the body shop is my family's business. Your post just made my day it's nice to be appreciated.. Those engine covers came out awesome there is like 1/2 a gallon of clear on them lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.