BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering what your opinions are on outboards.Looking at boats that have yamaha 1995 -150 hp dont know the hours ,2001 ficht evinrude 200 hp 370 hours or 2001 optimaxes merc 225 hp 750 hours all 2 stroke? just wondering what do you guys think are the better engines. THANKS

·
Registered
513 Posts
I think the Evinrude is the best but all are great motors! The Yamaha is older and to have it that long and not use it that much you may have some dry rotted seals inside, Stay away from that! The Optimax has double the hours the Evinrude does, So I would go with the Evinrude because of the lower hours and the Evinrude part are easy to get if needed! I have a Johnson 8hp and my buddy has an Evinrude and we love them! Hope I helped!!!!!!

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
2001 ficht - suggest you call Eddie at J&B Boat in Westville, NJ. He's a long time Evinrude master tech, and will tell you honestly if that was the ficht to avoid. Before Bombardier took over, the OMC fichts were a big problem.

Opti from that time period I believe still had some issues too.......not quite sure but suggest you call a Merc dealer and ask. The early optis had issues.

The Yami, if stored correctly, run, proper compression etc is the most simple engine of the three, but value at this point low. Sell price under $ 1,000 NADA I believe. An old engine.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Out of those options, Yamaha all the way. Optis of that vintage are questionable and the ficht is worthless...literally no value other than parts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
stay away from the ficht motor,the early opti motors were blowing up id stay away from that too.best bet the yamaha,check gear oil condition for a problem,check compression,listen to it run.make sure its running on all 6 cylinders.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
my buddy has a 94-95 yammie carbed with at least 1500 hours on it, my 97 OX66's have almost 900 on them. they still purr like kittens. but i am getting tired of spending money on the 2 stroke oil

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I'd stay away from those years Ficht and Opti Motors.....would not trust them on the water and repair is $$$$$$

New E-Tech seem OK and Opti's after 2006 have pretty good reps..

Yami 0X66 is an excellent engine, some have shift rod corrosion issues that
could be an expensive repair. Otherwise near bulletproof.

Any engine that's 10 years old is going to have some issues....regardless of hours. Things to check are even compression on all cylinders, corrosion on trim pumps and connections, gearcase oil condition, any service records and a dealer can usually plug into on board diagnostics to see any issues and what updates are done.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
I'd go with the Yami....the shift rod issue was fixed years earlier.

Of course a lot depends on the boats too. Why limit yourself to just those 3? New ads pop up everyday on craigslist.

·
Vendor
296 Posts
those yamaha ox66's are great motors. Providing the previous owner took care of it. Make sure you get the motor compressiin checked and looked over by a mechanic. Which i am sure you already know. If the yamaha checks out it is the way to go in my opinion.
Good luck

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies the yamahas are on a 96 26 ft cc mako and the evinrudes are on a 2001 27 ft proline and the optis are on a 2001 28 ft mako any input on the boats themselves thanks again for the replies.

·
Vendor
944 Posts
We vote Yammies for the motor and Mako for the boat. Like previously stated the Fichts and Optis of that vintage are potential problems. While there are good ones out there why take the risk by buying a motor that is famous for problems.:thumbsup:
Have the motors looked at before you buy! Compression checks, pressure test lower units and take it for a test run if possible.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The evinrude may run fine however when i had my 2000 225 ficht we learned a little over those hours that flushing them were a must. Alot of the coolent lines were aluminum and corroded shut. Mine fried the main computer 35 off the beach. My mechanic told us about that problem after the fact and said omc never really brought it up because the block issue took enough interest. If that motor is still running its likely a good block but the coolent issue is one to take concern about. The other two brands i dont know enough about so no help from me there.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
One thing to consider is that 2007 was the first year the Yamaha F150's were equipped to handle ethanol. The older hoses can break down causing injector problems. I have no experience outside of using that fact to choose my own 2007 F150. You may want t factor ethanol rated engines into your decision.

Fred

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
If you are talking twins, definately go with the Yamahas unless the other boats are priced with consideration of a repower. At least if you blow up one of the Yamahas, there are plenty of them out there and are good for a few thousand hours. The Yamahas should be carbed for that year and not fuel injected (OX66).

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
2001 ficht - suggest you call Eddie at J&B Boat in Westville, NJ. He's a long time Evinrude master tech, and will tell you honestly if that was the ficht to avoid. Before Bombardier took over, the OMC fichts were a big problem.

Opti from that time period I believe still had some issues too.......not quite sure but suggest you call a Merc dealer and ask. The early optis had issues.

The Yami, if stored correctly, run, proper compression etc is the most simple engine of the three, but value at this point low. Sell price under $ 1,000 NADA I believe. An old engine.
sooooooooooo agree

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
One thing to consider is that 2007 was the first year the Yamaha F150's were equipped to handle ethanol. The older hoses can break down causing injector problems. I have no experience outside of using that fact to choose my own 2007 F150. You may want t factor ethanol rated engines into your decision.

Fred
Where did we come up with this one.:confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts