BASS BARN banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the help given in other posts, I have come close to inking a deal on a 1983 Grady White 20' w/a cuddy that has a 1996 Mercruiser 4.3L-XL w/ 325 hours. I took it into Tri-State in Deale, MD (a mercruiser dealer) and they checked it out - great boat, great motor, needs a new outdrive - just as the seller (an extremely concientious and meticulous owner).

They only install brand new Mercruiser outdrives - a $4100 job.

I priced out a remanufactured from Mercruiser through another shop and they quoted about $3300.

Then there are the no-names on Ebay for $1400, and I can pay a mercruiser mechanic hourly to do the work.

If I went with the new mercruiser, the boat plus new electronics and some other doo-dads I would want would put me at about $9000 give or take. Plenty for the boat, but it is the devil I know - its in great condition, a newer engine, every single receipt, etc. in a huge file box. When I say meticulous, its probably an understatement, the boat is immaculate, internally sound (even had the floor redone a while back), and the motor is in good shape. The guy has a complete service log, every manual/brochure/instructions for everything on it.

We will use the boat lightly - 1-3 weekends per month for fishing/cruising around the Tred Avon/Choptank/Bay.

What would you do?

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
winstonbike,
Welcome to the BassBarn.Com,
Glad To Have You Aboard.,,

I am going to move this over to the TackleBox Forum as well.

Thanks,,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts