BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down to shovel snow off the boat and one of my outriggers snapped off at the base from the ice on all the lines :eek: driving around I must have seen a least 20 or more other boats with busted outriggers here's some pics of mine and some others. I am a Rupp and Lee outrigger distributor, I have alot of parts in stock and over 25 years experience installing outriggers so if we can help you out call my shop 609-624-7913 or cell 609-827-7954

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
rut roh...we better get them fixed.....before the season starts that is lol....hold on tight charlie here come another 2 feet of the white sheet!!!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Same in WildWood. Had to winterize the gen set and Mains because the Marina I'm in will be without power for atleast a week. Also lots of boats leaning do to snow loads. If we get hit again and some of these guy's don't go down and shovel them off I fear they won't survive another hit. Lots of covers tore and some tops destroyed. All the wires are down on 47 from the sewer plant to the welcome center. Also most of the wires are down in Shawcrest.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Saw a few boats like that at my marina this morning. Went down at 4 am to shovel the boat off before the next batch of snow. Thankfully the power was back on and so were the heaters.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Could possibly be fixed

Both of our rigger snapped in half. Less waxing we have to due in the spring due to new riggers.:D
The LEE and RUPP offshore outriggers may look like they are one piece, but are actually made up of multiple 4'-6' lengths. Most of the damaged outriggers I've seen today at South Jersey Marina and Utsch's can be fixed with a section or two and maybe some spreader wires too.

RUPP has great customer service. If you call them with the serial number off the base section of pipe, they can tell you what part you need to bring them back to new condition. A couple of years ago, we got our riggers tangled at the fuel dock with another boat whose captain wasn't watching, and it only cost about $400 to replace one section of each rigger. Sure beats spending $5000 for a complete new set.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
The LEE and RUPP offshore outriggers may look like they are one piece, but are actually made up of multiple 4'-6' lengths. Most of the damaged outriggers I've seen today at South Jersey Marina and Utsch's can be fixed with a section or two and maybe some spreader wires too.

RUPP has great customer service. If you call them with the serial number off the base section of pipe, they can tell you what part you need to bring them back to new condition. A couple of years ago, we got our riggers tangled at the fuel dock with another boat whose captain wasn't watching, and it only cost about $400 to replace one section of each rigger. Sure beats spending $5000 for a complete new set.
I have not seen them yet but from what I was told the mid sections were broke in half and the top section were bent and most of the guide wires were broke.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Pipe welder

As Captain Bob pointed out outriggers come in sections. I know because a two years ago a sail boater lost control and bent one of my pipewelder outriggers in half with his mast, while my boat was docked at a boat works.. I thought the worst also. It may not be as bad as you think. The marina that did the repair was sent one complete pipewelder outrigger and the fixed it using only one small section.
I have the rest of the rigger parts sitting in my garage still in the wrapper. If anyone has been effected by the storm, you are welcome to have and use what I have.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I'm glad I read this. I just bought a new (to me) boat with a set of Lee spreader outriggers and center rigger, one tube was slightly bent and a new one was ordered from Lee a week or so ago, I had left them on the boat for lack of a good place to store them. After reading this they are in my garage, I will deal with them for a few more weeks...

The irony of it is I was contemplating pulling them off before reading this. This post made the decision for me.

Thanks

Brett

·
Registered
158 Posts
Has anyone been by Osprey Landing Marina (New name at old Cape May Marine next to Roseman's)? Any damage to the boats back there?They haven't had electric since Friday or so and since nobody is there I haven't heard (or read) anything about those marinas. SWEETHEART is high and dry and shrinked so I'm probably OK but the riggers are exposed and these reports/pictures have me real worried. Thanks.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Has anyone been by Osprey Landing Marina (New name at old Cape May Marine next to Roseman's)? Any damage to the boats back there?They haven't had electric since Friday or so and since nobody is there I haven't heard (or read) anything about those marinas. SWEETHEART is high and dry and shrinked so I'm probably OK but the riggers are exposed and these reports/pictures have me real worried. Thanks.
Yes....I was there Monday. There is a fair amount of boats at Cape Marine with damaged or broken outriggers there as well. Where about is your boat ?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.