BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any experience in cutting starboard on an angle to level out riggers for a hardtop installation. I bought a set of lees riggers. I have the mounting plate for the underside but need to level them out. I've seen similar installations were a material that looks like starboard is cut on an angle to compensate for the angle of the hardtop. I am pretty handy and would like to save a few bucks and do it myself.I have a grady 232 gulfstream.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
it cuts pretty much like wood. so you can either sand it down to the desired level or you can use other wood working tools to cut the angle. it will burn, so reduce the rpm's a bit if you can...

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
If you get burn marks, it won't matter if that's the side that gets faced to mating surface. If you have access to a planer, I would palce a piece of wood stock long enough to have the planners wheels grab and feed thru, next I would screw into the sides of this long wood rails high enogh so when the cutters and wheels contact it goes thru, next I would fasten this plastic inbetween this set up with standoff supports that will give the desired angle of inclination. Sey planer to slow speed and feed it thru a few times while resetting the height to a lower level. It's all done.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Don't drill the holes until you compensate for the angle! Then finish off with a radius bit on a router to take the edges off (only on one side that will face you. I would counterbore the holes for the screw heads rather then chamfering them. You'll get less stress cracks later. If you can I also would make the plate somewhat larger to distribute to loads over a greater area. And to finish off I would take some Stainless steel lights, put red bulds in them for nite vision, and cover this new plate. Of course all the wires would be inside this plastic block.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
with the use of a sliding T bevel figure out the angle of the hole.
set the table of the drill press to that ankle and drill with a hole saw.

Be shore to clamp star board to drill press table !!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have acess to a planer but how about cutting the angle on a table saw ? How do you figure out the angle ? and is there a minimum thickness that you need for the starboard ?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Craig,
Count your fingers before performing such an act.

If you build a jig with an angle it will work.

wish I could see a picture of your project.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JP, The model is a Lees T Top Mounted OH277T.
The only holes I need to cut are for the bolts, the pole does not penetrate the hardtop.
I have the aluminum plate 9" x 6" on the underside of the hardtop and the starboard will be on the topside just under the actual outrigger mount. The trick is knowing the angle that the hardtop curves at so it can be compensated for with the starboard, and I imagine it needs to be the exact angle otherwise when you put the outrigger poles in them they will not be straight.
I wish I could provide a picture or diagram for you but I'm not that computer savy.

·
Registered
25,494 Posts
Buy an adjustable square like this:

Make sure it has the built in level. Determine your width for the plate & where you want it, put the one end on the 'high' side, adjust out to the 'low' side and slide the square until the level levels out and you have your angle.

Trace out onto the starboard and put it thru the table saw. Just be careful with the starboard, go slow. Too quick & it will kick back on you. Wear eye protection, this stuff hurts.

Before bolting down, run a bead of silicone on the underside of the starboard around the whole edge.

Don't forget to predrill & dry fit everything first.

Good luck,

Tom

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Craig,
Make shore that the boat isn't in the water ---

Real hard to keep it LEVEL. Bawahahaha

OH! is it level on the trailer ?????

A PENCIL compass will trace it.Put the point on the top (base) and the lead point on the starboard.

One picture says a thousand words.

If all else fails --- bring the boat to my house and we can fix it !!!! :D

[ 02-20-2004, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: JP Canning ]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate all the good advice. I think I have a pretty good handle on what I need to do now. If not I,ll come back with another post. Thanks again to everyone who took some time to help me out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts