BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 38 years old and I have been fishing for about 32 years and I am still learning about this sport. It seems like every day I learn something new. New fishing products, targeting different species and fishing new areas, add to the mix. In what other sport can you participate in almost every weekend, plus days during the week for 30 + years and still feel like you are only scratching the surface ?

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
I couldn't agree more Esox1,
I have been fishing the salt hard now for over 22 years and have alot more to learn myself..
And having these internet fishing boards really
helps.Its just amazing how much information flows daily here.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Originally posted by Mddletown:
Lawn Darts?
It took a quick second -
hilarious :D

I'm amazed how much I've learned over a 1 year period both fresh and salt - and I'm very humble being aware there is so much more to learn.
This site is great for uniting all types of fisherman, but it really helps the people land-locked 6 days a week :( . I really appreciate all the feedback and advice from the "locals" and/or seasoned vets. Just a few more weeks now...

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
40+ yrs for me and I'm still learnin, and exploring...new areas, new species, new techniques...old methods in new areas..it never sems to get stale....my other passion (Baseball) is the same for me...new situations, players, techniques...if you pay attention to detail it never gets old...

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I started out when I was 5 in Sheepshead Bay.
I hit the big 50 on July 4th.
I worked many years on the head boats there as well.
Now I'm retired and fish 5 days a week.You never have enough knowledge.I always love to pick up a new tip and improve my game whether it be on here,or talking to an old timer,who might be willing to share some ideas.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Only been fishin the salt for 8 years now, last 4 or 5 more serious but absolutely, each and every time out I learn something new, whether it be a new lure, plug, technique, spot to fish......and from fellow barners and their posts..and from all the captains whose boats I jump on..then when you think you have it, wham, you realize ya don't know sh#*!

I've learned so many things just this year alone, too many to post.....so thanks to all the pros on this barn, the captians i have sailed with and anyone that will share a fish story! - sjb

·
Registered
46 Posts
My first fishing trip was in 1953 at 5AM from Ottens Harbor (yea, it was Ottens "Harbor" back then, stinking but real). No limits. Navigate by the compass and watch (my dad did, at least). Sick as a dog. He gave me some beer to drink... that helped (right!).

I've been learning ever since then, and it seems like catching fewer fish every year. The Barn is a place my dad would have liked.

Keep 'em tight.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Originally posted by Lucky John:
I started out when I was 5 in Sheepshead Bay.
I hit the big 50 on July 4th.
I worked many years on the head boats there as well.
Now I'm retired and fish 5 days a week.You never have enough knowledge.I always love to pick up a new tip and improve my game whether it be on here,or talking to an old timer,who might be willing to share some ideas.
Retired by 50 and fishing 5 days a week. Lucky John, you are indeed LUCKY! :D

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Been fishing for 54 years and now fish most days or nights ending "Y"
Have never stopped learning, this year has been a real challenge but by thinking out of the box ,it has been a pretty good year so far
Boat went in April 2nd and caught fish the first day in and have only been skunked 2 times all year
BUT ,sometimes it took a completely different look top find the fish with different baits and bair presentation
Once you think you" know it all" , you will be better served to "sell" your boat and gear

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Thats what makes it fun, keep learning and trying to improve at doing what we love to do. I second the amount of information that I've learned over the last 5 yrs on the Barn but can always learn a trick or two from the ol salts.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.