BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Left the dock around 4:00 AM and ran towards the Russian Wreck. On the way we heard the warm water had moved in from where it was our last day out. We started fishing short of where we planned. After getting every set we were having trouble getting an accurate sea temp reading. We marked a little, scattered bait, nothing to get excited about.
We got a call from a friend, who had two bites within minutes. We pulled our spread in and ran towards him...everyone has been very helpful here.We got in the area and reset our spread, the water looked great. There was bait from the bottom up to about 20 feet. After about 30 minutes we had our bite on a short rigger. The first run took us ½ way through our backing. We started clearing the other three rods, which are pulled about 450 to 700 feet back. When I say we...it was just me & 'Lil John.

After clearing all our lines and planner we went to work on the fish. The fish was straight up and down within 50 minutes, then it took another 20 minutes to get him within range to get a flyer in him. John stopped cranking and hit him with the flyer. He did a great job handling the fish throughout the fight. After he had the gaff in him I was able to come down and help secure him and get him in the boat. The fish measured 91”, weighed 424 lbs and cored out at 360 lbs. We had a bit of a dry spell before this bite that ran for 9 days. There were about 10 to 12 fish caught today. We were happy to get a bite in what has been a tough season.

Tight Lines

Capt Keith

·
Registered
334 Posts
Awesome job Keith--especially for just a two man crew! You got me real jealous, given that we had a little snow this morning and freezing rain on its way tonight.

Kurt

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
nice job over/under/pretty work crew.. heck of a nice fish.. extremely jealous through these winter months of those bruiser bluefin..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Little John nice job on the fish. Hope you guys get some more in the final days. Keith way to go. How is the weather looking for the final countdown. Alright i have to get back to my boat project here in FL.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Awesome job Keith--especially for just a two man crew! You got me real jealous, given that we had a little snow this morning and freezing rain on its way tonight.

Kurt
Thanks Kurt ,
Wish you could have made it down to fish with us.Don't worry, I know about the weather I spoke to my wife this morning after she shoveled 5 " of snow off the driveway.I have some making up to do,shes real good about this stuff.
Keith

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Way to go keith

I'm leaving tomorrow in the am to fish with spider i hear he got two in two days one was 2 in. short

·
Registered
123 Posts
Little John nice job on the fish. Hope you guys get some more in the final days. Keith way to go. How is the weather looking for the final countdown. Alright i have to get back to my boat project here in FL.
Hey Thomas,
Thanks,Looks like we will get Thursday and Friday in .I plan to travel back to NJ Saturday.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Capt Keith
"Pretty Work" pardon the phrase, anyhow, I would like to take a minute to welcome you aboard the Offshore Forum here at The Bass Barn.com.

Thanks for making that post with a picture of your fish as well.

Tmas,
welcome aboard there too skipper!

Captn Joe Sullivan
Offshore Forum Moderator

·
Registered
123 Posts
Capt Keith
"Pretty Work" pardon the phrase, anyhow, I would like to take a minute to welcome you aboard the Offshore Forum here at The Bass Barn.com.

Thanks for making that post with a picture of your fish as well.

Tmas,
welcome aboard there too skipper!

Captn Joe Sullivan
Offshore Forum Moderator
Thanks Joe,Appreciate it .We were lucky enough to get a bite this morning.I hope to have a few new photos up shortly.
Keith

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
:thumbsup: Keith Congrats on some good fishing down there ..... Thanks for the post's ans pic's Ronnie

·
Registered
123 Posts
Heard you on radio yesterday when you got your fish and congrads again.
Not too many caught by the fleet yesterday and you still got one. Great job.
Thanks John ,
It was good talking to you on the radio ,never got over to meet up with you in person.I will be at the AC Boat show ,let me know if you plan to come up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts