BASS BARN banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
I dip mine all in different color rubber coating bought from Home depot. Paint just chips and is a complete mess in little time.

Few reasons I dip:

I like the color and think it helps for some fish. Maybe not Toggies but I think deep wrecking it helps.

I don't like my kids or my passengers kids handling lead. Yeah we did it but we also ran to the canyons without life rafts and EPIRBS forever too.

When customers or friends bounce sinkers off the hull it doesn't hurt as bad. OK even I do it sometimes.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I have never tried red sinkers, but strongly believe in adding red beads to all of my tog rigs. I know the theory behind red as a color, and how it dissapears at depths. But, the bottom line is it works. So why argue?

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
We did it one year as a joke and I took a bunch of Red sinkers on a trip and some used them and others didn't and it really didn't seem to make a difference. Tog are so structure oriented and you have to have your bait in front of the fish for it to work and if your not in the structure it doesn't mater the color of your sinker.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Painted wieghts thats a new one for me. We have been pouring our own for years and never painted them. One guy years ago sugested dipping them in the rubber tool handle coating so they didn't beatup the boat but we never thought about color.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Painted wieghts thats a new one for me. We have been pouring our own for years and never painted them. One guy years ago sugested dipping them in the rubber tool handle coating so they didn't beatup the boat but we never thought about color.
This is exactly what I use.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I am not messing around, but this is what I heard from a guy who crushed tog in 100' of water when no one else was getting bit.

Yellow is money all the time
Orange does good around a new and full moon
Red sucks

This is what I heard and witnessed the yellow
I will score that paint you said Bear and give it a go
I will let you know next year, maybe not if it works:D

Bomb ask Sam(older, small guy who togs with you) about the guy with the painted weights!!

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Just keep up with painting em so I can find em when I dive the wrecks after you guys lose em :p

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Presentation, including color can make a difference with tog, just not the weight. They don't eat that part:).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.