BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I am planning to paint my old 10' aluminum jon boat. The previous owner did a terrible job of painting it and it is peeling everywhere. I have power washed it and scraped, sanded etc. Now comes the easy part....painting

Any suggestions on caulking the seams? type of caulk? a good primer/sealer? acrylic? Is there a good latex primer or is oil the way to go? The finish coat will be easy after the primer and caukling.

Any tips and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've painted 2 alum boats... 17 ft and 22 ft. I used Interlux paints and it lasts...
-First step was the getting all existing paint and impurities off the aluminum hull, using scotch bright pads and the thinner recommended... don't use any steel wool nor other metal abrasive pads... the metal strands get stuck in the seams and rivets and can be a problem.
-I used 4200 caulk in some of my seams and some gutter seal in others...both worked fine with no problems... don't know if there is a better caulk.
-zinc chromate primer must be used directly on the prepped metal just before painting... this etches the aluminum and allows the paint to bond. I recall the paint must be applied within a certain time once the primer is put on.
-then I painted with Interlux Brightsides using 'roll and tip' method (do a search) with several coats.

I know people have painted their aluminum boats with other methods, including using 'bed liner', as that seals the boat seams while adding some durable finish to the hull.
I'm certain there are others who can provide more info here.

·
Registered
337 Posts
CaptG said:
Gluvit first, paint it and forget it!
I agree with CaptG! I painted a 16" Sears and it holds up well using an ablative paint specifically for aluminum. My only comment about caulking is to watch caulking the strakes. I would not do that because if you do water (assuming salt) and mud can get into the hollows in the strakes and set there with no place to drain. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I painted a 75 14' Duranautic. The bottom was orig. bare alum. I left it that way. Above the spray rails was a couple of old coats of brushed on paint. I sanded, using a variety of air sanders, the whole hull above the water line to bare alum. Wiped down with Dupont 3812. Primed with Dupont self etching primer for alum using a Devillbiss siphon feed gun. Then primed over that with Dupont Fill n Sand. Wet sanded the whole boat and sprayed with a non-sanding sealer. Then sprayed with Dupont Centari Acrylic enamel with Overall Gloss Hardener. It came out awesome. The interior I hand and machine sanded and painted with leftover Valspar Aluminum siding paint. Capt.Matt.

·
Registered
304 Posts
painted my 1980 Starcraft.... left the bottom bare.... used Rustoleum oil based paint on the top sides and interior... and a self-etching primer..... it last for years and still looked great when i sold it...... and best of all.... when it needed a touch-up... run to lowes and get a little paint and bingo..... good luck

·
Registered
399 Posts
spraybomb it !!!!!!

im with sandflea on this one i just did my old grumman. i took a wire brush to everything.took off all the residue and dust. then i spraybombed it with good old rustoleum hunter green. looks great and has been holding up really well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Jon Boat I am redoing for my son. It has many holes I plan to repair using brenzomatic mapp gas pro. (will that work well and using aluminum brazing rods?) I have a few questions...

1.) Then cleaning the Aluminum and spraying with Zinc Chromate. (is this self etching?)
2.) can I paint over the Zinc Chromate primer with Gluvit?
3.) What U.V. Resistant, Anti-fouling, Waterproof, paint can I paint over the Gluvit with?
4.) Can I use the bottom boat paint as the top boat paint as well? ( I am looking for a total boat-all weather sealant/protectant that is U.V. resistant and will last a long time as well as be hard enough that if he dings it, it will not damage the boat or paint.
[email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts