BASS BARN banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got soda blasted this fall bottom came out good whats your reconmendation on repainting i was using petit hydracoat before with good results just wanted to hear the process

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I had some of my boats sand blasted years ago and I coated them with interprotect barrier coat before adding ablative paint,,my boats stay in the water 9 months or more..

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Barrier coat with Interlux Interprotect 2000E (4 coats) and then 2 coats of a multi season ablaitive. I like Micron CSC. Shoot me an email if you have any questions, we have been doing the barrier coat system for years...

·
Registered
829 Posts
Wait until the spring before you do anything.It will take a couple of months for the hull to completely dry.Then you should barrier coat your hull with 4 or 5 coats of barrier coat.We use Interlux InterProtect 2000 gray & white.Apply a coat of white then a coat of gray,then a coat of white,then gray.If you keep applying coats of the same color you will not be able to tell if you missed a spot.Remember you get what you pay for.Stay away from the stuff West Marine sells with thier own name on it.I use Micron Extra on both of my boats,never had a problem.

·
Vendor
944 Posts
Barrier coat with Interlux Interprotect 2000E (4 coats) and then 2 coats of a multi season ablaitive. I like Micron CSC. Shoot me an email if you have any questions, we have been doing the barrier coat system for years...
2nd that... The Interprotect is a great product!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Just got off the phone with Interlux and they will be running a promotion. Buy 5 gallon kits of Interprotect and they mail you a $50 check, not a voucher or store credit.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I definitely second the Interprotect 2000, but if you don't have any blister issues on the bottom you can get away with two coats instead of 4 or 5 that is recommended for blister protection.

When only two coats are used, it is for the purpose of a bottom paint tie-coat primer, not blister protection. Most boat mfgs that paint their bottoms using a primer will use this method.

Don't forget to dewax properly with 202 - even after blasting. There is still wax that could be present in the gelcoat depending on type used during mfg.

Hot recoat times on the Interprotect are easy to hit, but the paint overcoat time is a bit more restrictive and not always successful if done less than perfect. Working alone makes it almost impossible to get 100%. Think about a third coat of IP, let it cure completely, and then sand with 80 grit. You'll get a good mechanical bond and a smoother finish - at least for us amatuers.

Good luck!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the replies letin her dry out now will start on it in march weather permiting

·
Registered
121 Posts
seahawk paints tuff stuff is the easiest and best primer to use.The recoat and dry times are very easy to follow.Do your research.

Tuff Stuff is an extremely high-build two-part epoxy primer that dries fast, enabling application of a complete barrier system and bottom paint in just two days. Using microsheet silicate technology, millions of microscopic sheets overlap and build a 100% water barrier that protects the surface from moisture and water penetration.
Tuff Stuff is extremely effective for blister prevention on fiberglass, or as a bilge coating, because it is resistant to oil and water. As a universal primer, it can be used for corrosion protection on most metals below the waterline, and for priming any metal. Tuff Stuff creates an overlapping barrier to eliminate any direct path for water migration.

It can be applied at 10-15 mils dry film in one coat, using a brush, roller, airless or conventional spray. Fills deep scratches and gouges in a few coats and can be sanded within 8 hours to a smooth finish. Available in light gray and special order white.
  • Use over blistered fiberglass as a repair coat, and over unblistered fiberglass as a barrier coat.
  • Protects metals from corrosion, including: aluminum, bronze, stainless steel, cast iron and lead – above and below the waterline.
  • Excellent for priming props, shafts, keels, trim tabs, thru hulls and lower units
  • Highest build epoxy – Fewer coats needed
  • Longer window between coats makes Tuff Stuff easy to use
  • Reduced labor and less haul out time

·
Registered
64 Posts
Be carefull not to let the barrier coat over dry or you will have to sand between coats.. For your first coat of ablative paint use a different color than your top coat. that way as the top coat wears off you'll see exactly where you need to touch up the following season. It's a lot of work but definitly worth it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Why 4 coats of the interprotect? I think you told my 2 a few yrs ago.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts