BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at clarks landing today and saw a Yellowfin with squid painted on the bottom of the hull. Seems like it wouldnt hurt to do that. Anyone else try it before? Maybe this boat is a barners and they can comment if it helps.

·
Registered
280 Posts
My buddy paints squids on his 36 Runaway year after year. Im going to try it this year but i am getting decals made up cause the bottom of boat is not painted.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I can't help but think of Moby Dick rocketing up from the depths to gobble that school of squid in one gulp:eek:

For boats kept in water, I think slime buildup would quickly obscure the squid, anyway.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
We started putting them on in the late 90's on all are boats. I read a article in a fishing mag. that a Cal. Swordfish fleet did it on 2 of the 4 boats they ran. According to them the boats with the squid had a 22% higher catch rate then the ones without. I can't say either way if it works or not but it can't hurt. Also I have yet to pull the boat and find any slash marks or bills sticking out of the hulls yet.:huh:

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
i do it every year i have a stensal that i had a friend cut for me and i use outdrive spray paint to put it on. dont know if it helps but it cant hurt

·
Registered
43 Posts
We do it every season when we do Spring commissioning, and we swear by it! We use a Shark White colored Interlux bottom paint for the squids, so there is minimal bottom growth to our squid under the hull. They are quite noticeable when you look from underwater (yes, we actually jump in), and add to look of the teasers/dredges. To make the squids freehand, use a medium sized brush and make three long strokes with thin edge for the squid body. Use a smaller/thinner brush to make 3 to 5 tentacles. Add a dot of black bottom paint for an eye. One done in a minute.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Works good as a canyon tramp stamp too! :D

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I can't help but think of Moby Dick rocketing up from the depths to gobble that school of squid in one gulp:eek:

For boats kept in water, I think slime buildup would quickly obscure the squid, anyway.
I used vivid white last season and it was as clean as the day it went on :thumbsup:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Yes, it works, that's my boat

I was at clarks landing today and saw a Yellowfin with squid painted on the bottom of the hull. Seems like it wouldnt hurt to do that. Anyone else try it before? Maybe this boat is a barners and they can comment if it helps.
That is my Yellowfin @ Clarks. Yes it works. Caught the heck out of them this year. Only odd thing is that it was on the scallop boats in the chicken.... 52 blue fin 4 trips, all on the the chunk or sardines. ;). Seriously
Caught a few other fish on the troll in addition to those 52, but that was the best season I had in such few trips. I have to attribute it to my excellent crew

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys for the responses. Think I am going to give it a try. Will try the shark white interlux as mushin said. I am going to make a stensal tommorrow out of thin wood. Will post a picture.

Mulldog nice boat :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
really? now i have heard it all...:eek:
Its been pretty popular since the late 90's. Guys who own multiple boats swear by it. I have a friend who says he can back up a good 30% increase when both boats are working same area, same day, same spread. Makes sense, since your spread is designed to get their interest and make them curios enough to swim up to the surface. I wasnt a believer at first, but I cant argue with results.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
there is a guy on the boatbuilding site that was trying to decice how he should apply the bottom paint to his hull. he said hes heard that fore and aft is best, but that somebody told him sideways is good because it causes drag and bubbles and the bubbles cause his little boat to slip thru the water with less friction thereby making better economy... :D:D:D

my response ws that there are guys on the east coast that paint little squids ont eh hull bottom thinking that it causes fish to come up. these same tuna that can see a tiny hook in a butterfish and sometimes need 40-50 lb floro, cant tell the difference between a 40 ft hull with twin diesels and some painted squid, and real squid...

that was a couple days ago so I find this very funny. but Im going to paint some squids on my hull also.. and i find that anything that increases confidence increases your catch because you fish harder and longer... so do it!!!

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I see nothing wrong with this subject....:huh::huh:

We do it. We made our own stensiles and use white bottom paint. I believe it works. I have video footage of what it looks like on the boat from below. When the top of the water collum us blue and clear - you can see it from pretty deep - works just like any teaser.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
theres some lures and plastic softfish baits that have a little blood spot ingrained into the body. so at least a few of the squid you paint on your twin 25 ton 40 ft diesel boat should have injured painted squid... if you are creative you can epoxy some bucktail hair on the back of themm to simulate tails on your squid.

I think if you are really good, maybe take a sharpie and put some genitalia on the squids, both female and male parts of course because the big swordfish are the girls so we need to have at least one squid with a big honkin johnson down there to draw her up. it'd be a shame to lose a big sword for the lack of a weinus :D:D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts