BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone fill me in on this place. I wanna fish it heard there's good fishing. Is there a ramp? And heard the residents are iffy

·
Registered
896 Posts
residents are 100% iffy.
I've only fished there because i grew up in the development right next to palatine and know a bunch of people there.
it is actually a private lake, so you either need a palatine resident sticker or be a guest of someone that lives there. you can fish along the road (olivet road)....
people used to dump in on the other side of the lake along sheep pen road, until residents blocked it off with concrete slabs.

My uncle from colorado came down, got an out of state license and was fishing along the road (which is perfectly legal) one morning and a resident was trying to tell him to leave..."its not your lake"...tried saying "once you cast into MY lake, your trespassing"

such a joke.

Mike Iaconelli lives on the otherside of the lake...huge house

last time there, caught nothing but pickeral

·
Registered
223 Posts
answer

Can someone fill me in on this place. I wanna fish it heard there's good fishing. Is there a ramp? And heard the residents are iffy
Yes there is a boat ramp, and lots of nice bass, residents are not iffy, I guess someone did not want to share the llake, lol boat ramp is just past the falls, can not miss it, good luck.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yes there is a boat ramp, and lots of nice bass, residents are not iffy, I guess someone did not want to share the llake, lol boat ramp is just past the falls, can not miss it, good luck.:thumbsup:
We assumed he was referring to Palatine Lake in Pittsgrove (Salem County). Definitely private, definitely no public boat ramp.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Kayaks canoes and such can be launched from sheep pen road it is state wma. The lake is flowing water which cannot be owned. I grew up down the street and people from the development always give people a hard time. When I was very young I would strap a canoe to a skateboard and pull it with my bike down to the lake. It used to be good caught a couple record yellow perch there and had no idea you couldn't catch three pound perch everywhere.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I know they put big cement blocks up to try and block people dumping in on sheep pen. Ive caught nice bass off the bridge there.
Ive heard you're allowed to "pass through" the lake.... but you can not fish the lake... as for muddy run, yea, its fair game.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Isn't that the lake where they have "NO FISHING" and "PRIVATE LAKE" signs 20 feet into the water all along the lake front?
That's the one.

And I believe that NJ Fish & Wildlife enforces the Palatine homeowners association's claim to ownership of the entire lake and requirement to have a sticker on your boat if on the lake.

I'm trying to get clarification of exactly what they enforce as far as fishing on the lake and fishing from the shoreline along Olivet Road.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I find it hard to believe that they can claim ownership and not allow you to fish along olivet road, esp since its a county road...interested to hear what you find out. I know that people have fished from that road for the 32 years of my life

·
Registered
377 Posts
That's the one.

And I believe that NJ Fish & Wildlife enforces the Palatine homeowners association's claim to ownership of the entire lake and requirement to have a sticker on your boat if on the lake.

I'm trying to get clarification of exactly what they enforce as far as fishing on the lake and fishing from the shoreline along Olivet Road.
Well, the word is... you can't boat on the lake or fish on the lake or fish from the shoreline along Olivet Road unless you have permission from the Palatine Lake homeowners association. NJ Fish & Wildlife will enforce all of that. (Don't shoot the messenger; I'm just passing along the info. I don't agree with it.)

·
Registered
757 Posts
There have been cases taken to court over these issues and I'm not sure who has won. There is a certain footage from the center line of the road that is eat her county or township property.I believe its twenty feet. And iI'm sure you can't own flowing g water. But the association will hound you your decision. Whether its worth the aggrevation. When I was a kid and nobody would prosecute me I would give those people all kinds of lip. I don't really care now there are better places.

·
Registered
377 Posts
There have been cases taken to court over these issues and I'm not sure who has won. There is a certain footage from the center line of the road that is eat her county or township property.I believe its twenty feet. And iI'm sure you can't own flowing g water. But the association will hound you your decision. Whether its worth the aggrevation. When I was a kid and nobody would prosecute me I would give those people all kinds of lip. I don't really care now there are better places.
I was told that, unlike the usual situation where the township owns the shoulder of the road (like 25 feet from the center line), in this case the homeowners association owns the shoulder of the road. Some special provision in the deed from a long time ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys,
I live in south jersey area, and I am a definite weekend warrior only (wish I had more time to fish!). Bowdown said there are plenty of better places to bass fish. Any suggestions? I want to take my son somewhere where he has a really good chance to catch his first bass on a lure.
Thanks for the help!
Woody73

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just wait til the lake needs some repairs. The same people who eont let u fish there will b the same ones refusing to pay. State will fund the bill and it will become public

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
This was told to me many years ago by a C O, not sure if it's still true.
"You can't own the moving water lake in NJ, NJ owns the rights to the water. That being said, you can buy/own all the land around the lake and land lock the lake, anyone trying to get to the water will than be trespassing on private land".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts