BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys and gals after using the new mustad ultra point black nickel hook for a full two seasons personally and last season putting it out for some of my top field tester/ customers and party boat skippers i gotta tell ya no gammi for me
the mustad oem rep and i have discussed at length the benifits and qquality of their hook versus the gammi.
The stats are in for all to see on the mustad spec sheet. Sharper than gammi and the hook point is stonger under pressure than gammi.
I can attest the hooks are definately sharper. These are super stong as well
Now mustad does not have a 90 degree heavy wire jig hook at present like gammi and the cost is in the couple of millions for development of a new machine to make them..but with the current new managemant of the company and the new infusion of much needed cash the hook is in the works..probably afew years out..
Now in the mean time they have a heavy wire wide gap black hook ultra point that i'm molding in some jigs shortly the bend is likely to increase hookup ratio and the fish will not get off.
Plus for all my gulp 5-7" bait guys this is the hook you will LOVE!!!!!!!!!!
NOW FOR THE SHAMELESS PLUG AND SHAM WOW!!!!! STYLE SALES PITCH
i will have a new line ready shortly of round head pro style jigs
designed to compliment the berkely gulp series of baits in Nuclear chicken
pink shine, chartruese and glow
these will be available dressed and just the finished heads.
They will be molded with a barb collar for the gulp products.
Guys in case some may not know last season i was the first to develop and test a series of round head jigs on the BIG M*H#W* out of Belmar.
And they were developed to be used with the gulp 5-7" jerk shad and 6" grub and 6" swimming mullet.
Nuclear chicken was by far the best overall color with pink shine and glow and chartruese about the same and on certain days one would outshine the other..Guys who say 6" swimming mulletts are too big should have seen
13" fluke inhale these baits like candy
I will have pics up soon but had too put out the tease.....HA HA!!! :razz:
AGAIN MUSTAD ULTRA POINT HOOKS ARE BETTER, SHARPER, AND STRONGER THAN GAMMI--- they also use one hell of a toxic substance to make them rust resistant and way better than gammi here also
So i will now make jigs with Mustad hooks and not gammi

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have to hand it to Tony, he is always looking for ways to improve his tackle and this imho is going to be the hot jig for flounder in the coming years.
I personally got my hands on a few of these from him, not easy to get since the captains and mates were ahead me in line for these new prototypes.
I will still use his minnow head jig for buck tailing fluke, especially for deeper water, But, this past season made me a believer in this jig.
The hook is by far sharper and my hookup rates went way up, dropped fish far less.
Jigged a lot with this new round head undressed in the colors he mentioned and the big gulps 6" mullets, grubs, I won two pools on head boats this year with several fluke over 7lbs and many over 5lbs and missed a few other pools by not much.
When the Capts and mates are bugging him for them that was all I needed to try them and they made my fluke season.
WTG Tony, only hope your going to be making enough of them :D

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Are these hooks barbless?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Great report Tony.
Thanks for sharing the information.
Quick question, Mustad also makes these hooks with a regular black finish. WHile not as pretty I am wondering if they exhibit the same strength characteristics. The finish might not provide as much corrosion resistance, but they are a lot less expensive than the black nickel.
What do you think of using them for general purpose such as tog?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great report Tony.
Thanks for sharing the information.
Quick question, Mustad also makes these hooks with a regular black finish. WHile not as pretty I am wondering if they exhibit the same strength characteristics. The finish might not provide as much corrosion resistance, but they are a lot less expensive than the black nickel.
What do you think of using them for general purpose such as tog?
i have used the general purpose hooks in the past in black and on those i do prefer the gamakatsu..stronger and sharper point.
The ultra point is laser cut to provide a superior point and the chemical added to the mix to provide corrosion resistance is far superior to gammi as well..but if price is a real issue the general purpose hooks have worked for many anglers and for many many years..its really a matter of preference
and i guess in some respect your wallet. I like to get the best hook possible for each species i target..but again preference is the key here.
example--lots af anglers still believe in virgia hooks for tog, others use only gammi octopus, i only used gammi baitholder, until mustad came out with a ultra point bn baitholder..now i use them instead. Stronger hook in the structure i fish up north is always a bonus.
Hoped i helped

·
Registered
984 Posts
Are these hooks barbless?
Joey
I believe they are not barbless, what may have confused the post, there is a barb or retaining point on the collar of the jig head to hold soft baits like gulp or plastics etc in place. Pretty sure that was what Tony meant. hth

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I've been using the the the Ultra Point Big Guns for tog (2/0 and 3/0) and striper (5/0 and 7/0) for 3+ years. Completely converted me from gami and owner. Don't know if i would say they are sharper, but they are at least as sharp and a much tougher point (especially wreck fishing). Biggest problem with them is availability. Good choice.

·
Registered
137 Posts
hook question

i tie my own bucktails and they look great but i had to order most of the stuff for tying, question for you, do you get these hooks your talking about in our area tackle shop wise or do you order them

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
....lots af anglers still believe in virgia hooks for tog, others use only gammi octopus, i only used gammi baitholder, until mustad came out with a ultra point bn baitholder..now i use them instead. Stronger hook in the structure i fish up north is always a bonus.
Joey
I believe they are not barbless........ hth
Tog is what I was thinking about. First thing that came to mind after Tony's initial post was to try them for Tog, but when I started looking for info about them online, I kept seeing "barbless" in the title.

Really wanting to try them for Tog....... :fighting: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Tog is what I was thinking about. First thing that came to mind after Tony's initial post was to try them for Tog, but when I started looking for info about them online, I kept seeing "barbless" in the title.

Really wanting to try them for Tog....... :fighting: :thumbsup:
Here you go Joey... the best tog hook on the market imho.

www.mustad.no/catalog/product.php?id=29

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here you go Joey... the best tog hook on the market imho.

www.mustad.no/catalog/product.php?id=29
I agree with fluka barasi that this hook is ideal for togging heavy structure.
i also like and use the ultra point baitholder hook from mustad.
i know bogans tackle shop in point pleasnat carriews the bait holders...not sure who else

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been using the the the Ultra Point Big Guns for tog (2/0 and 3/0) and striper (5/0 and 7/0) for 3+ years. Completely converted me from gami and owner. Don't know if i would say they are sharper, but they are at least as sharp and a much tougher point (especially wreck fishing). Biggest problem with them is availability. Good choice.
Fluka in the big guns the hook shank is xx-heavy and the hook point is a bit thicker as well to accomodate strength numbers on break strength
on the standard heavy wire hooks the point is sharper and real sticky.
on the jigs i made last season more guys bitched about getting stuck more with these than the gammi and whined about the blood....BABIES!!!!!!!!!:razz:
My fingers look like ground beef from tying jigs and rigs all year, I HAVE NO SYMPATHY....NONE!!!!!!!!!!LOL!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts