BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some promising reports my buddy and I decided to make the trip down to Sea Isle City.
We finished a little backwater fishing and arrived at the Captain Robbins about 5:30am. To my surprise there were actually a few on the boat already.
We settled in at the back corner (my favorite SPOT)
and spent a few hours exchanging stories with other patrons. Everyone was friendly so time passed quickly as we headed to the fishing grounds. The captain worked hard to keep us on fish all day, and everyone left with at least a few fish for dinner.
I witnessed about 8-10 chicken dolphin caught, that was a first on a party boat! They really were pretty little fish. Has anyone else caught dolphin while flounder fishing?
We left at 8am and didn't stop fishing until 4pm. From what I understand the captain always stays out a little late and god knows I would stay out for a week if I could. We arrived back to port around 5:30 pm and the mate was busy cleaning fish the whole time.
I ended up with a cooler full of flatties, the largest at 6.5-pound and a few others over 4-pounds. I split the pool with another guy and ended up having the perfect trip.
I haven't been fishing as much as I'd like, so it felt great to spend some time on the water. I can't wait to get back down!

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Nice Job...Capt. Robbins rocks! And his daughter is a HOTTY!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Nice Report Frank,, Thanks,,

And a actual picture of you fishing in the daylight, I haven't seen to many of them over the years :D

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Frank - well done! Nice photos too!

This was the first summer I jumped on partyboats in a LONG time and overall it wasnt bad - only had one run in with a drunk arse on half a dozen trips.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
far

glad you had a good trip with the cr. if you think 530 is late, wait till fall......6 or 630

he runs 30 miles in the fall and charges only the normal fare.

hip, so you got the hotz for one of neils daughters, he would be nightmare of a father in law.

btw, he is no longer involved in the operation, tear, sniffle, etc.

the beav

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Originally posted by cee beaver:
far

glad you had a good trip with the cr. if you think 530 is late, wait till fall......6 or 630

he runs 30 miles in the fall and charges only the normal fare.

hip, so you got the hotz for one of neils daughters, he would be nightmare of a father in law.

btw, he is no longer involved in the operation, tear, sniffle, etc.

the beav
Yeh, I heard he got out. His one daughter was cute and into Vdubs like I was and had an oval window bug. She worked at Carmens. CUTE! CUTE! CUTE!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
all i can say is ,love that robbins ,have not been on board since the the new owner took over but with mike as the capt. i,m sure things have not change much.c beaver i have been on those fall 10 to 12 hour tours,i missed a x-mass party for my wifes work once :eek: ,but caught about 25 stripers right out side the inlet,so i was just fine ;) looking forward till this fall and those tasty tog!! good fishing ,matt

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
you are so right matt, whatever you do don't book any appointments after a cr fishing trip

you will like the new owner, he has a good personality unlike, well you know.

have a good fall

the beav

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
beav,have sailed the "barge" for many years now and have to say that it is by far the best party boat i have fished on.it just seems to have something about it that makes me want to come back.it may be slow but the times i have had on that boat have been some of the best times i have had fishing and some of the best people i have meant!!!mike has put me on the meat more times than this post can say and the joking and ball busting just make it all that much better.fishing in the fall ,matt

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
.....might have to board the cr just to check out the sweetie, ah sh$#, forgot about that wife-o-mine......

I lucked out on a head boat out of oc, on sat 9/3 it was so good I went back on sunday, 9/4, plenty of weakfish action about two miles off shore, including a fair share of keepers in the 15" to 17" range and then headed out farther for fluke and got some decent keepers......the herring I caught fri night helped me bag some nice fluke both days, with a 50/50 keeper ratio....

Been doin charters the last few years, party boats can be iffy, but it sure was nice to get lucky two days straight and end the vacation on a good fishin note.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
capt Mike is one of the best in the business .you can say what you like about slow boats etc but they catch fish . the ursula is another one to consider

1 - 17 of 17 Posts