BASS BARN banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone now what the outcome was with the story about all the illeagel sea bass on the party boat? Was it true? There was alot of talk, and now nothing..

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Does anyone now what the outcome was with the story about all the illeagel sea bass on the party boat? Was it true? There was alot of talk, and now nothing..
There is no "outcome" other than what happened that night.

During roll call, when every customer is taken off the boat and all spoken to by the captain before the boat sails and then called on board in the order of their reservations, everyone was told by the captain himself what is and is not in season. The entire crowd was told that sea bass were not allowed to be kept and must be thrown back. During the trip the crew also told people that sea bass were out of season and had to be thrown back. When cleaning fish on the way home anyone with a sea bass (and was stupid enough to try and get it cleaned) was told that they were out of season and could not be cleaned and had to be thrown back. If they gave it to the crew it was thrown over.

Unlike as has been assumed on several fishing sites when the boat got in there was no "people running off the boat " or "Some of the fishermen even left the gears and coolers behind to avoid the fines and just took off in the cars"

Like happens every time F&G come to a partyboat (I've seen it dozens of times in my life on many different boats) they are at the dock when the boat ties up and do not allow anyone off until everyone is checked or they check each one as they get off one at a time. There are no "cars taking off" or "gear left behind" (unless you count that bucket of sinkers and a few jigs a guy called for the next day that he left under the bench:D)

There were some coolers that idiots just walked away from which F&G took with them.

Those that kept illegal fish (unlike some reports it was not half or almost all of the boat, not even close) were given a ticket as they are supposed to.

That is what happens when F&G come to a boat, any kind of boat be it private or partyboat and someone has illegal fish. They are given a ticket.

When F&G was done they took the confiscated fish and left, like they have done any other time they have come to a boat and given out tickets.

There were no sea bass cleaned, F&G checked the racks that the boats are by law required to keep and not dispose of until after the boat docks. There was not a single person on the boat that had ANY cleaned sea bass (no filets) and F&G checked every single cooler and bag and bucket on the boat as well as through the cabin, behind the snack bar and in the fridge, like they do every time they come to a partyboat regardless of whether or not they had any violations from customers. That is their job, that is what they do. It's standard operating procedure.

Even some of the guys who got caught told F&G they were not only told by the captain that sea bass were out of season but also by the crew and the regs were posted in the cabin.
As one guy put it while I stood on the dock next to one of the CO's (I was there when the boat pulled in) "It's my own stupid fault, I knew the deal before the boat even left the dock."

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I believe this version over all of the "cabin fever" versions that are all over the place.

If people are going to break the law, I don't expect anyone to risk their own safety by forcing a grown man to do something they refuse to do, or becoming violent to enforce it. I have seen how some people can act on the water and I for one, do not feel like taking a fillet knife to the back when I'm not looking ( extreme, but can happen....). I have seen some crazy things take place.

Warn them, warn them again, then take some satisfaction when they are paying for it in the end, by saying "I told you so". :huh: I am sure that most of these guys will not do it again.

This boat did not get the reputation it has by breaking laws all along. The people who run it are good people and do more for the local fishermen than most of the industry. Its good to see some accurate information on the forums. Thanks for the report. :)

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
Thanks TB for the straight story on this. What happens when F&G confiscates illegal fish? Do they keep them or discard them? Always wondered how that took place? Seems to be such a waste if they did discard?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Could Capt TB tell us if the Capt or any of the mates recieved a citation.Also I think your reply should be posted on the other website that hes a sponsor on just to inform the others over there what the real story is.Thanks for posting the story.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I heard the captain called f&g himself..... Does that make any of the i heard people feel better.:D

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Rageboat said:
Thanks TB for the straight story on this. What happens when F&G confiscates illegal fish? Do they keep them or discard them? Always wondered how that took place? Seems to be such a waste if they did discard?
I believe there is a food bank in AC that they bring confiscated fish to. I know in large commercial seizures the feds will sell at fair market value and put money in asset forfeiture fund but I do not know about the state.

Could Capt TB tell us if the Capt or any of the mates recieved a citation.Also I think your reply should be posted on the other website that hes a sponsor on just to inform the others over there what the real story is.Thanks for posting the story.
No, only the people who caught and kept illegal fish received a citation.

The other site removed both threads before I could post in them. One was removed this morning moments after i posted in it. We have not asked anyone on any site (including this one) to remove any posts whatsoever, they were either locked or removed at the moderators/owners discretion.

·
Registered
159 Posts
asset forfiture?

I am a fish and game officer and i think you are refering to the Beer, hooker, party cruise fund, thats what we call it these days.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Thanks for the clarification CaptTB.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Wow

Everybody on here knows this goes on everyday and unfortunatly these idiots got caught! I can only Imagine on our East coast how many fish are kept illegally, undersized, and out of season!! I bet the truth would be mind blowing to say the least. Not only are they screwing themselves but they're screwing the rest of us as well!

·
Administrator
17,848 Posts
There is no "outcome" other than what happened that night.

During roll call, when every customer is taken off the boat and all spoken to by the captain before the boat sails and then called on board in the order of their reservations, everyone was told by the captain himself what is and is not in season. The entire crowd was told that sea bass were not allowed to be kept and must be thrown back. During the trip the crew also told people that sea bass were out of season and had to be thrown back. When cleaning fish on the way home anyone with a sea bass (and was stupid enough to try and get it cleaned) was told that they were out of season and could not be cleaned and had to be thrown back. If they gave it to the crew it was thrown over.

Unlike as has been assumed on several fishing sites when the boat got in there was no "people running off the boat " or "Some of the fishermen even left the gears and coolers behind to avoid the fines and just took off in the cars"

Like happens every time F&G come to a partyboat (I've seen it dozens of times in my life on many different boats) they are at the dock when the boat ties up and do not allow anyone off until everyone is checked or they check each one as they get off one at a time. There are no "cars taking off" or "gear left behind" (unless you count that bucket of sinkers and a few jigs a guy called for the next day that he left under the bench:D)

There were some coolers that idiots just walked away from which F&G took with them.

Those that kept illegal fish (unlike some reports it was not half or almost all of the boat, not even close) were given a ticket as they are supposed to.

That is what happens when F&G come to a boat, any kind of boat be it private or partyboat and someone has illegal fish. They are given a ticket.

When F&G was done they took the confiscated fish and left, like they have done any other time they have come to a boat and given out tickets.

There were no sea bass cleaned, F&G checked the racks that the boats are by law required to keep and not dispose of until after the boat docks. There was not a single person on the boat that had ANY cleaned sea bass (no filets) and F&G checked every single cooler and bag and bucket on the boat as well as through the cabin, behind the snack bar and in the fridge, like they do every time they come to a partyboat regardless of whether or not they had any violations from customers. That is their job, that is what they do. It's standard operating procedure.

Even some of the guys who got caught told F&G they were not only told by the captain that sea bass were out of season but also by the crew and the regs were posted in the cabin.
As one guy put it while I stood on the dock next to one of the CO's (I was there when the boat pulled in) "It's my own stupid fault, I knew the deal before the boat even left the dock."
Thanks for the info............

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
God Bless you Capt.TB. Remember the good old days when bad weather was the only thing that kept you from sailing? ;)

·
Registered
15,264 Posts
Always good to get a first hand account of what happened when one of these threads get started. Thanks for the details.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Captain Tony of the Jamaica and Paramount fleet, at Bogan's Basin, Brielle NJ spends as much time fighting for fishermans rights, as a volunteer, than anyone could imagine. :thumbsup:
Too many guys jumped the gun when the event took place and blamed the Captain and orginization. The post should have been locked and pulled down on page one.:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
423 Posts
These incidents always turn into online witch-hunts once they hit messageboards. People looking to burn the captain, fishermen, and anyone they can think of at the stake based completely on heresay. Thank you Capt TB for the definitive information.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts